2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With last night defeat I looked more at the top of the draft... And don't get me wrong I still want to make the playoffs and try to spoil the Leafs plan... I really do... But if Flames were to jump us and we get the chance to select top 14, with the prospect pool we already have it could be amazing...

Sort of like a gift come draft day, there's always 1 player falling, we were so lucky with Caufield... Idk, Hugues injury scaring people and we jump up to #9 and grab him... I'm dreaming but... The appeal of adding another A prospect is sitting well with me, a lot more than earlier in the year where it was playoff or nothing.

I'm more of the mind that I'm fine with whatever this year, take a flyer on an offensive forward and hope for the best.

It's going into next year that I wish they would make the decision to play the lottery in 2022 and 2023. This would involve moving on from Price, Weber, etc. and sinking while letting Suzuki and KK get the top 6 ice time and responsibilities. We can keep some of the guys like Anderson and Toffoli to provide some veteran presence, sign some aging vets to one year deals that can be flipped etc.

and aim for a resurgence in 2024 when Suzuki and KK have had ample time to develop into top line centers. We will have Caufield, Romanov, Norlinder, Guhle joining the team and ready to grab top roles on the roster.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Not too bad a list, but personally for me.. there's no way Eklund or Johnson are below Beniers.
We all know how you feel about the guy ;) I do agree he's not exactly a top 10 talent tool wise , you have to put a LOT of weight on intangibles to put him in the top 5 like that. I don't think he's a complete plug though, he's got a lot of smarts .

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We all know how you feel about the guy ;) I do agree he's not exactly a top 10 talent tool wise , you have to put a LOT of weight on intangibles to put him in the top 5 like that. I don't think he's a complete plug though, he's got a lot of smarts .

I've got him like a Kesler type player, valuable but ultimately if you're picking top 5 I want a bit more.

I've got

1. Eklund
2. Edvinsson
3. Power
4. Johnson
5. Guenther

Really underwhelming top 5 on the whole, though.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What makes you so high on Edvinsson?

Big kid, smooth skater.. sound in his own end already and has offensive upside to go with it. Hard to find 6'5" d men who can skate like he does and bring offense with it.

In a normal year, he'd probably be closer to a 10 but this draft is what it is.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Do what you can to get Kent Johnson. Yes, I'm biased. See if I care...lol
We've had a hard time with developping so-so skaters into pro players in the past though, this would have me a bit worried, as his stride needs some work. We'd need to hook him up with whoever turned Jake Evans into an above average skater. With his elite puck skills and his playmaking and vision he could be a heck of a player if he can iron out the chinks.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Russia's U-18,

Final roster:

GK
Valeri Brinkman
Kirill Gerasimyuk
Sergei Ivanov
D
Artyom Duda
Alexander Figurin
Vladimir Grudinin
Gleb Ivanov
Arseni Koromyslov
Nikolai Makarov
Nikita Novikov
Vladislav Sapunov
FW
Dmitri Buchelnikov
Nikita Chibrikov
Vsevolod Gaidamak
Ilya Ivantsov
Dmitri Katelevskiy
Ilya Kvochko
Daniil Lazutin
Ivan Mekhovov
Matvei Michkov
Ivan Miroshnichenko
Matvei Petrov
Prokhor Poltapov
Fyodor Svechkov
Danila Yurov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Our 2021 NHL Draft Preview has begun

Matthew Beniers had an excellent freshman campaign with the University of Michigan. He put up 10 goals and 14 assists for 24 points in 24 games this season. Beniers was named to the Big Ten All-Rookie Team, and was an Honourable Mention for the conference all-star team. Beniers and the Wolverines were all set for the Frozen Four Tournament but had to withdraw due to a positive COVID-19 test on a member of the team. He was also part of Team USA at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship, helping his country to a gold-medal performance. Beniers put up a goal and two assists in seven games during the tournament.

In 2019-20 Beniers was an alternate captain for the U.S. National Development Team Under-18 Team. He scored 18 goals and 23 assists for 41 points in 44 games that year. In 2019, he won a bronze medal at the Under-18 World Championships. As an underage player, he put up two goals in seven games.

2021 NHL Draft #1 : Matthew Beniers Scouting Report

Owen Power was one of a trio of outstanding draft prospects who played for the University of Michigan this season. He put up three goals and 13 assists for 16 points in 26 games this season. Power was named to the Big Ten All-Rookie Team as well as the conference’s Second All-Star Team. Unfortunately, Power and his Michigan teammates were unable to participate in the NCAA Frozen Four tournament due to an outbreak of COVID-19. It was a disappointing end to what was a promising season for the freshmen-laden team.

Power spent the previous two seasons with the Chicago Steel in the USHL, after being drafted seventh overall in the USHL Futures Draft. In 2019-20 he put up 12 goals and 28 assists for 40 points in 48 games before the season was shut down due to the pandemic. Power led the league in defence scoring, was named defenceman of the year, and was on the first all-star team. In 2018-19, he put 11 goals and 14 assists for 25 points in 52 games. He also added two points in 11 playoff games. Power was named to the USHL All-Rookie Team.

2021 NHL Draft #2: Owen Power Scouting Report - LWOS

William Eklund has spent the season with Djugardens in the SHL, and its been clear that the 18-year-old was ready to play in the country’s top men’s league on a full-time basis. Eklund put up 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points in 40 games this year. Djugardens is currently playing in the SHL Playoffs. Earlier this year, Eklund was expected to be a top-six centre for the Swedish World Junior Hockey Championship team. However, he missed the tournament after a positive COVID test.

In 2019-20 he started the year with five points in five games at the Under-18 Hlinka/Gretzky Cup, helping the Swedish team to a Bronze medal. He played 20 games in the SHL, putting up just two assists. Eklund was also held scoreless in two Champions Hockey League games. He looked more at home in the Under-20 league with 12 goals and 24 assists for 36 points in 31 games. He also made Swedish national teams at the under-17 and under-16 levels.

2021 NHL Draft #3: William Eklund Scouting Report

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
With the OHL season never quite getting off the runway due to COVID-19, the league’s top prospect, defenceman Brandt Clarke headed to Europe, playing for HC Nove Zamky in the Slovakian professional league. His game really developed while playing against men. Clarke put up five goals and 10 assists for 15 points in 24 games.

The fourth overall pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Draft, Clarke spent the 2019-20 season with the Barrie Colts. He was a member of the league’s All-Rookie Team, and led all OHL rookies with 32 assists. Brandt also had six goals and 38 points in 57 games. He was a star, playing for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring five goals and an assist in six games. His brother, Graeme Clarke, is a prospect with the New Jersey Devils, and was a third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #4: Brandt Clarke Scouting Report

After older brothers Jack Hughes (1st), and Quinn Hughes (7th), were top 10 picks in the NHL Draft; younger brother Luke Hughes is looking to extend the family dynasty in 2021. The 17-year-old spent the season with the US National Team Development Program, putting up six goals and 28 assists for 34 points in 38 games. He was headed to the Under-18 World Championships, but a late-season injury will keep him out of the tourney. Last season, Hughes put up seven goals and 21 assists for 28 points in 41 games with the Under-17s. He also added a goal and three assists in six games at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge.

Like his brother Quinn, Luke Hughes is committed to playing for the Michigan Wolverines next season. Should he change his mind and opt to go the CHL route, his rights are owned by the Saginaw Spirit. They took a flyer on him with a 14th round pick, 281st overall in the 2019 OHL Priority Draft. Hughes is one of the younger players in this draft, as if he were born just six days later, he would be eligible for the 2022 NHL Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #5: Luke Hughes Scouting Report - LWOS

Last edited:

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Chibrikov and Miroschinenko

I'm stoked for this u18
After watching players like Buchnevich and Kaprisov slowly develop into legit players. I’d like to take a flyer on a player from the KHL every draft like we did with Gordon. That being said, I have no clue where those players are projected to go.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
I'm a fan of Poltapov, so looking forward to watching him in this tournament.

If Simon Robertsson is gone when we pick, Polpatov (powerforward) would be a really good pick IMO.

I like him quite a bit.

Smaller than Josh Anderson but the skating looks the same.

Is he a first round talent though? Maybe this year...

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Bobs top 32 today.

Should be a good indicator (minor moves will happen because of the U18s but this will be very similar to the final list)

I'll report back with realistic Habs targets (anyone not in the top 10)

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Bobs top 32 today.

Should be a good indicator (minor moves will happen because of the U18s but this will be very similar to the final list)

I'll report back with realistic Habs targets (anyone not in the top 10)
I completely skipped this draft because it’s said to be one of the weaker drafts in recent memory and COVID shut down a lot of the junior leagues.

Interested to see the rankings even though the Habs will probably have early 20’s pick.

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->