2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not being sold on KK as a top 6 center, I hope TT doesn't ignore the centers in this draft. I really don't know much about Bolduc, Bourgault, Pinelli, Raty, L'Heureux, Svechkov, Samoschevich, Dean, or Harrison but I hope someone else has seen them.

Reactions: goforit

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ryan Winterton. Should grab him 2nd round if we can. Didn't play this year because of OHL shutdown, but he's playing for u18s. Like his game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would be interesting to look back in 5 years for sure. I have a feeling the first 3 rounds will produce equivalent amount of NHLers

The unknown this year with Covid derailing so many development leagues. U18's are going to be heavily scouted... more than ever before

It's a good opportunity to do our homework and find a star in that 2nd or 3rd round. I believe Point and Gaudreau are the only elite level talent to go in the 3rd round in over a decade.

Reactions: Doc5

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
soooooo seems like wright and bedard might not be out of reach for this team in the coming years if we keep this up? Honestly there's a lot of long term contracts we can trade to get picks in return and go for a full rebuild and these next 2 years will be a perfect time to rebuild

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Ty Gallagher getting a lot of love at the U18. Dang, I hoped he'd stay under the radar for the Habs in R2. On the brighter side Corson Ceulemans was held out last game with some sort of injury, maybe he will have a quiet run. Also, Lucius, Boucher, and Gasseau missing the tournament. Svechkov, Stromgren and Salimani are having strong showings though. But it's tough to judge by public rankings, I'm sure the internal team boards are quite different, and also very different from each other.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
From now on, we should draft a player only if he has an elite element to his game (with all other skills being above average). To have a major impact in today's NHL, you need to have something elite to your game. And skating is probably the most important factor of them all..That and hockey IQ I would say.

In the range we're expected to pick, which players have that (those) elite aspect(s) to their game (+all other skills being above average)? Who is your favorite player and why?

Discuss..

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Both 2022 and 2023 are going to be so stacked in potential 1C talents and we so desperately need one if we want to have any sort of mid to long term relevance in this league . Whoever our GM is going forward, from this summer on my ENTIRE strategy would be '' how can we get as many first round picks as possible in the next two years'' . Any other priority has to be rescinded in my book. If we can't get in a position to have a chance at a Bedard/Wright/Savoie/Lambert then it's middle of the road all the way for us for another decade minimum. I can't stress this enough, we NEED that franchise player.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
From now on, we should draft a player only if he has an elite element to his game. To have a major impact in today's NHL, you need to have something elite to your game. And skating is probably the most important factor of them all..That and hockey IQ I would say.

In the range we're expected to pick, which players have that (those) elite aspect(s) to their game? Who is your favorite player and why?

Discuss..
Byron's skating is elite would you pick him in the first round? Maybe it's the way you worded your post but a first rounder should be above average in all skills with at least one being elite.

Reactions: 1000eeer

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
It stinks that Olausson is a november bday. He's the kind of player Montreal should draft. He's got some serious wheels for his size and a release reminescent somewhat Pettersson's.

He's pretty high on my list.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
It stinks that Olausson is a november bday. He's the kind of player Montreal should draft. He's got some serious wheels for his size and a release reminescent somewhat Pettersson's.

He's pretty high on my list.

I've felt the same way about late birthdays for a long time, but I'd like to see some serious research on whether erring towards the July-Sep group actually leads to superior outcomes.

As far as what you said before: agreed wholeheartedly. Elite skill is the starting point, and you work outwards from there.

I nominate Lambos, who very well could be available at our pick. He has all the tools you want in a top pair guy and is better than anyone in our current D pool. I see very little separation between him and the names being mentioned at the very top of this draft.

While I want us to target forwards more than anyone, I just don't see a true gamebreaker in this group. Particularly one who'll be available where we'll be picking. Maybe the stars align and Johnson falls.

Also, a sleeper who is very worthy of mention: Ryker Evans. OA from Regina. He might sneak into the high 2nd range. Maybe late 1st a la Tanner Pearson. Haven't seen him mentioned yet but the kid can play and is one of the better D in the league right now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watched Omaha tonight, tried to pay a little attention to Ayrton Martino as I don't recall him early on in the season so he may not have been there when I was catching games the 1st month of the season. He's had a really solid year, seen him ranked in the 2nd round. He's a late B-day so if he was born 2 weeks sooner he would have been a '20 draft pick. He's slated for Clarkson next year, a decent program but I'm not a big fan of the ECAC where Farrell will play next year.

Seems to be a solid playmaker, down 2-0 in the game they pulled their goalie with 4 mins left and used him on the point to move the puck around, which he did a lot of.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Both 2022 and 2023 are going to be so stacked in potential 1C talents and we so desperately need one if we want to have any sort of mid to long term relevance in this league . Whoever our GM is going forward, from this summer on my ENTIRE strategy would be '' how can we get as many first round picks as possible in the next two years'' . Any other priority has to be rescinded in my book. If we can't get in a position to have a chance at a Bedard/Wright/Savoie/Lambert then it's middle of the road all the way for us for another decade minimum. I can't stress this enough, we NEED that franchise player.

Nah I prefer to be a middle tier team for another 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad