2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Didn't realize that Vancouver, Detroit, and Ott have played 6 more games than us and are only leading us by a point in the standings. Holy hell those teams are bad.
We've been getting lucky. If it weren't for those shoot out wins, we'd be at 12 points. So I continue to stand by my position that we are worse than them.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
We've been getting lucky. If it weren't for those shoot out wins, we'd be at 12 points. So I continue to stand by my position that we are worse than them.
Vastly worse?

Lucky isn't really a thing. They got to the so and won.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Pushing the 21 draft to 22 wouldn't work just on the sole basis of the teams with the first few draft picks not wanting to wait a year to get their reward for finishing at the bottom of the league. Imagine if there was a McDavid-Matthews level prospect and a team had to wait a year before icing him?

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Looks like draft will stay in July. Just too many CBA hurdles to overcome to delay.

And Seattle can get some depth, IOW draft then sign 20 yos to bolster their depth chart.

I do wonder if Seattle will put emphasis on 2022 picks for any future consideration expansion draft deals

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I guess we should revisit this thread now that it doesn’t look like we’ll finish bottom 3 anymore. :laugh:

Not that I’m any expert on this draft, but it feels to me like there’s about 10 guys who are a cut above the rest, but not a huge amount of separation amongst them. My list is (no order):

Power, Beniers, Johnson, Hughes, Clarke, Lambos, Edvinsson, Wallstadt, Eklund, Guenther, then maybe a small 1B tier with guys like Raty, Lysell, and Sillinger.

I feel as long as we draft in the top-10, we’re equally as likely to get a solid player. I think if anything, Eklund is perhaps a cut above the rest, but that’s just one guy and we aren’t likely to draft 1st overall anyway.

Our biggest needs are high-end forward talent, left handed two-way defensemen, and goaltending. If we end up drafting in the 8-10 range, which I think is likely, I think the obvious (Eklund, Power, Beniers) will be gone but anyone else on that list could be available. Johnson, Edvinsson, Wallstadt, and Guentzel could be good options.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I guess we should revisit this thread now that it doesn’t look like we’ll finish bottom 3 anymore. :laugh:

Not that I’m any expert on this draft, but it feels to me like there’s about 10 guys who are a cut above the rest, but not a huge amount of separation amongst them. My list is (no order):

Power, Beniers, Johnson, Hughes, Clarke, Lambos, Edvinsson, Wallstadt, Eklund, Guenther, then maybe a small 1B tier with guys like Raty, Lysell, and Sillinger.

I feel as long as we draft in the top-10, we’re equally as likely to get a solid player. I think if anything, Eklund is perhaps a cut above the rest, but that’s just one guy and we aren’t likely to draft 1st overall anyway.

Our biggest needs are high-end forward talent, left handed two-way defensemen, and goaltending. If we end up drafting in the 8-10 range, which I think is likely, I think the obvious (Eklund, Power, Beniers) will be gone but anyone else on that list could be available. Johnson, Edvinsson, Wallstadt, and Guentzel could be good options.

Would you take Clarke even though we have Karlsson long term? I don't know if I would necessarily trust Merkley and only Merkley to take over for Burns. We pretty much got nothing beyond Merkley at this stage on the right side whereas the left side has Ferraro and Knyzhov long term with Pasichnuk, Kniazev, and Hatakka seemingly with some hope of being of value to us.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Would you take Clarke even though we have Karlsson long term? I don't know if I would necessarily trust Merkley and only Merkley to take over for Burns. We pretty much got nothing beyond Merkley at this stage on the right side whereas the left side has Ferraro and Knyzhov long term with Pasichnuk, Kniazev, and Hatakka seemingly with some hope of being of value to us.

If Clarke is the BPA when we draft, absolutely. Having too many good RHD is a good problem to have.

The left side has Ferraro and a bunch of maybe #4D. The right side has Karlsson and Burns signed until the end of time, never mind Merkley. I think the left side is more of a position of need, personally, but you could also argue that every single position is a position of need for the Sharks. :laugh:

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
I am with @Pinkfloyd here and wouldn't call LD a position of need as we both have exciting, young LDs on the squad right now as well as in the system.

I am with you on FWD (C in particular) and G though.

That said, you never go wrong with BPA...

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I am with @Pinkfloyd here and wouldn't call LD a position of need as we both have exciting, young LDs on the squad right now as well as in the system.

I am with you on FWD (C in particular) and G though.

That said, you never go wrong with BPA...
Center is the postion we are weakest in imo. We only really have Bordeleau as a prospect with potential higher than third liner. Goalies are a bad idea for the sharks scouts to consider

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Center is the postion we are weakest in imo. We only really have Bordeleau as a prospect with potential higher than third liner. Goalies are a bad idea for the sharks scouts to consider

If you are the Sharks and you pick in the top 10, and you have an equally strong option between all positions, you'd go C.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
to me, that just means they should go for the most no brainer goalie prospect they can and take a swing at wallstedt.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Why though? If Wallstadt is the BPA when we draft, why not go with him? We need to replace Jones, how else do we do it if we don’t draft a goalie?

After Beniers, there isn’t really a top center in this draft. Eklund and Johnson probably project as wingers, even though they’re listed as C/W. And Clarke is the only top tier RHD. So we’re realistically looking at a winger, a left-handed defenseman, or Wallstadt.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
i disagree. Goalies are the hardest to project and so many of the latest no-brainers have turned out to be duds. The hit rate on goalies in round 1 is not good.

Between 2011-2020 only 6 goalies have been taken in the first round. Only one of them is a super star and the rest are probably too young to write off. Samsonov is close but he had some covid issues this year. But yeah haha no way the Sharks should take a goalie in the 1st round. 2nd and 3rd rounds seem to be friendlier dice rolls for goalies

2012: Andrei Vasilevsky #19th overall
2012: Malcolm Subban #24th overall
2015: Ilya Samsonov #22th overall
2017: Jake Oettinger #26th overall
2019: Spencer Knight #13th overall
2020: Yaroslav Askarov #11th overall

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Between 2011-2020 only 6 goalies have been taken in the first round. Only one of them is a super star and the rest are probably too young to write off. Samsonov is close but he had some covid issues this year. But yeah haha no way the Sharks should take a goalie in the 1st round. 2nd and 3rd rounds seem to be friendlier dice rolls for goalies

Add to that the apparent glut of decent goalies we saw prior to the taxi squad convention being implemented, I personally think it would be a waste of an early pick to pursue G.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

But even those 2nd and 3rd round goalies are often the first 1-4 goalies taken in the draft. Like Carter Hart was a 2nd round pick who has been a starter for a while now but he was the first goalie off the board. So it's not like they're not the top goalie prospects in the draft. It's just is it worth the gamble of drafting a goalie over a skater in your draft spot. I would argue that Wallstedt is a reasonable gamble over the skater prospects projected in the top 20.

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
But even those 2nd and 3rd round goalies are often the first 1-4 goalies taken in the draft. Like Carter Hart was a 2nd round pick who has been a starter for a while now but he was the first goalie off the board. So it's not like they're not the top goalie prospects in the draft. It's just is it worth the gamble of drafting a goalie over a skater in your draft spot. I would argue that Wallstedt is a reasonable gamble over the skater prospects projected in the top 20.

Thats true you will basically get the 2-5th ranked goalie prospect if you draft a goalie in the 2nd or 3rd round

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Goalies are hard to predict the future of them that is true, but it also rings true that the farther you get into those rankings for goalies the harder it is to find a top notch goalie prospect.

If the goalie is the best player available at your pick in round 1 you take the goalie.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

At this point, the Sharks would be picking 9th. I agree with your general take on making the value judgment of if it's worth it. Personally, I'd still take someone like Raty or Lambos before Wallstedt. Wallstedt would be a guy I wouldn't mind drafting in the 2nd round or if they had a second 1st round pick but I don't like the idea of spending a top ten pick on a position that the organization has incredible issues handling at all levels.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
At this point, the Sharks would be picking 9th. I agree with your general take on making the value judgment of if it's worth it. Personally, I'd still take someone like Raty or Lambos before Wallstedt. Wallstedt would be a guy I wouldn't mind drafting in the 2nd round or if they had a second 1st round pick but I don't like the idea of spending a top ten pick on a position that the organization has incredible issues handling at all levels.

Is this goalie the unanimous top rated goalie in draft rankings? If so then that takes out the guess work of the later ranked goalies from the scouts for the sharks. If he is, then it turns more into a does the team have the coaching staff to turn him into the potential star he could be other then was it just the shark scouts that missed this goalies flaws at scouting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad