2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
No doubt man. This is one of those times where you just have to kinda trust that the professionals have a clue what they're doing. :laugh:

Yeah, definitely...although I will say that DW's several (2014 and 2019) offseasons where it seemed like he just punted things away without a plan make that a little difficult.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Nobody expects this team to be a Cup contender, but they are certainly better than a bottom 5 team unless they get crap luck with injuries again and the goaltending doesn't improve. They are almost by definition middle of the pack because they are top heavy with EK, Burns, Hertl, Couture, Kane, and Meier and as of right now, can't expect too much scoring production out of the bottom 6 and there are big question marks with the D outside 88 and 65. But don't be surprised if things go much smoother, especially if Boughner and his staff can sort out the defensive structure and utilize EK better.

Injuries only came into play once the season was already gone. And goaltending would only improve if we got a better goalie. We did not.

This team has only gotten worse over the off season. We have the worst goalie tandem in hockey. Did not fill any of our needs in UFA. And our aging core only got older. The cherry on top is really swapping a declining Thornton for an obsolete Marleau.

This is a bottom-5 team.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Injuries only came into play once the season was already gone. And goaltending would only improve if we got a better goalie. We did not.

This team has only gotten worse over the off season. We have the worst goalie tandem in hockey. Did not fill any of our needs in UFA. And our aging core only got older. The cherry on top is really swapping a declining Thornton for an obsolete Marleau.

This is a bottom-5 team.

Remember that PDB wasn't fired until December. He literally went on to ruin Vegas's Cup chances because he's a bad coach. Also, when Boog finally came in, he was working with a couple associate coaches who were basically just extra guys lying around and the team still played better.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

This is a bottom-5 team.

DeBoer was coaching terribly last year which was most certainly a big hindrance. If Boughner comes in with a better defensive setup and the top guys play well, they could sneak in. The big 4 forwards are all capable of 60+ points to go along with Karlsson and Burns putting up similar numbers. And stranger things have happened than a goaltender like Jones bouncing back and regaining his confidence with some tweaks to his game. And the offseason isn't over just yet, so the team as it stands may not be final. Plus at least one young guy is sure to come in and surprise people. I'm not blindly optimistic here, I just have faith that the top guys can drag the team to a middle of the pack with enough things going right.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
DeBoer was coaching terribly last year which was most certainly a big hindrance. If Boughner comes in with a better defensive setup and the top guys play well, they could sneak in. The big 4 forwards are all capable of 60+ points to go along with Karlsson and Burns putting up similar numbers. And stranger things have happened than a goaltender like Jones bouncing back and regaining his confidence with some tweaks to his game. And the offseason isn't over just yet, so the team as it stands may not be final. Plus at least one young guy is sure to come in and surprise people. I'm not blindly optimistic here, I just have faith that the top guys can drag the team to a middle of the pack with enough things going right.

Yeah, I think there's a good amount of pressure on EK65 and Burns to produce at a very high level to make up for the lack of at least 1 top-6 forward if not 2. If they can do that, then this team has a shot.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Careful... people are going to think you and I are one dude commenting from 2 different accounts... :laugh:

To add... if one of those young players is a 190lb Merkley this team is going to have an amazing defense. More likely to be a forward though considering all the possibilities.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Careful... people are going to think you and I are one dude commenting from 2 different accounts... :laugh:

To add... if one of those young players is a 190lb Merkley this team is going to have an amazing defense. More likely to be a forward though considering all the possibilities.
An amazing defense that can't defend
How "amazing" is that?

Reactions: tmunnuch

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Yeah, I think there's a good amount of pressure on EK65 and Burns to produce at a very high level to make up for the lack of at least 1 top-6 forward if not 2. If they can do that, then this team has a shot.

EK has done it before without a player of the quality of Burns with him (take your pick of basically any Sens team between 2011-17). Both guys can put up near 70 under the right style.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
As much as I want this team and the guys to succeed and do well, I think it would be better in the long run for the franchise to grab a high draft pick or two rather then be a team that either makes or misses the playoffs by a few points and doesn't do much damage past that.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
As much as I want this team and the guys to succeed and do well, I think it would be better in the long run for the franchise to grab a high draft pick or two rather then be a team that either makes or misses the playoffs by a few points and doesn't do much damage past that.
We need an infusion of young high end forwards desperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad