2021 NHL Draft (new season tank edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Is this goalie the unanimous top rated goalie in draft rankings? If so then that takes out the guess work of the later ranked goalies from the scouts for the sharks. If he is, then it turns more into a does the team have the coaching staff to turn him into the potential star he could be other then was it just the shark scouts that missed this goalies flaws at scouting time.

Yes he's unanimously the top rated goalie in the draft. I'm not really worried about the scouting aspect as I am the development aspect. The Sharks have shown no ability to develop a goalie in the past 15 years. Like nobody has even come close to being a legitimate starter here. The best we've put forth is Alex Stalock and Aaron Dell who were at best 1B's or having a great year as a backup. The other thing is that if they choose him, they're likely waiting three years before he sees time in the NHL. I just have a hard time thinking that a team run by DW who has done a lot in his time to get guys, especially this high up in the draft, that can make contributions quickly rather than allow time for them to develop will make a pick like this. I also think they brought in Melnichuk specifically to have that sort of prospect without investing draft capital into another one.

The other thing with Wallstedt is that he's not great athletically. He's technically proficient so I'm probably willing to grant that he'd make the show quicker than most but having athletic issues at the NHL level can be a huge problem if teams find consistent holes on him positionally. I honestly don't know if the team is capable from a coaching perspective, especially Nabokov, to assist with that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yes he's unanimously the top rated goalie in the draft. I'm not really worried about the scouting aspect as I am the development aspect. The Sharks have shown no ability to develop a goalie in the past 15 years. Like nobody has even come close to being a legitimate starter here. The best we've put forth is Alex Stalock and Aaron Dell who were at best 1B's or having a great year as a backup. The other thing is that if they choose him, they're likely waiting three years before he sees time in the NHL. I just have a hard time thinking that a team run by DW who has done a lot in his time to get guys, especially this high up in the draft, that can make contributions quickly rather than allow time for them to develop will make a pick like this. I also think they brought in Melnichuk specifically to have that sort of prospect without investing draft capital into another one.

The other thing with Wallstedt is that he's not great athletically. He's technically proficient so I'm probably willing to grant that he'd make the show quicker than most but having athletic issues at the NHL level can be a huge problem if teams find consistent holes on him positionally. I honestly don't know if the team is capable from a coaching perspective, especially Nabokov, to assist with that.
I think Greiss is/was a starter caliber goalie. He was pretty good for us but he didn't get a starting opportunity until 3 years after he left the Sharks so I can understand why you wouldn't include him as he is arguably not a Sharks product.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Greiss is/was a starter caliber goalie. He was pretty good for us but he didn't get a starting opportunity until 3 years after he left the Sharks so I can understand why you wouldn't include him as he is arguably not a Sharks product.

Greiss had 44 games total here spread out over four seasons where he was very protected. Solid numbers for what he was given but the most he got in one season here was 19 games. He was good but that's not 1B but maybe one can haggle over great backup year territory. But it was always clear even at his best here that the team never trusted him very much...at least from a GM/coaching perspective. I don't mind calling him a Sharks product but I'd probably quibble with you over whether he ever reached the heights that even Stalock and Dell reached here is all.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Rangers coaching staff unavailable vs. Flyers due to COVID-19 protocols

Considering the number of relatives the Sharks have drafted/acquired, this might be a player DW jr tags.
Four years after Devin Setoguchi’s last NHL game, his cousin, North Dakota captain Jordan Kawaguchi, begins the final stretch of his NCAA career. Roommate Matthew Kiersted (a defenceman) is probably the highest-rated college free agent available, but Kawaguchi, the team’s leading scorer for the third straight season, is getting his looks, too.

Reactions: Friday

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Between 2011-2020 only 6 goalies have been taken in the first round. Only one of them is a super star and the rest are probably too young to write off. Samsonov is close but he had some covid issues this year. But yeah haha no way the Sharks should take a goalie in the 1st round. 2nd and 3rd rounds seem to be friendlier dice rolls for goalies

2012: Andrei Vasilevsky #19th overall
2012: Malcolm Subban #24th overall
2015: Ilya Samsonov #22th overall
2017: Jake Oettinger #26th overall
2019: Spencer Knight #13th overall
2020: Yaroslav Askarov #11th overall
I would say only one of those is likely to be a bust and he was only drafted where he was because of his brother's name (Subban). Samsonov is likely to be average to good (COVID issues and a weird season this year but was solid as a backup last year and not a total tire fire this year all things considered). Oettinger has been stellar in Dallas and Knight is elite at the NCAA level and projects to be a stud NHL goalie and I would expect the same for Askarov.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Only bad news is im not sure if anyone likes Setoguchi the human anymore. Land us Matthew Kiersted though please haha Sharks need all the help they can get
Just what we need. More 5'11 Left Handed D-Men... If there is one area that this org is fine at into the future (assuming they can rid themselves of Vlasic being on the ice - not even just his contract but him as a player) is left shot defensemen. Already have a top pairing guy it appears in Ferraro and a 2/3 tweener in Knyzhov and Simek (still fine even if he goes to Seattle). Waiting in the wings as potential NHL options in the next 1-2 years are Kniazev, Pasichnuk, and Hatakka to go along with a quality #7D in Middleton. Organization has far greater needs to fill than another LD prospect as the playing time in the NHL and Cuda is already scarce when Kniazev and Hatakka come into the system next season.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Just what we need. More 5'11 Left Handed D-Men... If there is one area that this org is fine at into the future (assuming they can rid themselves of Vlasic being on the ice - not even just his contract but him as a player) is left shot defensemen. Already have a top pairing guy it appears in Ferraro and a 2/3 tweener in Knyzhov and Simek (still fine even if he goes to Seattle). Waiting in the wings as potential NHL options in the next 1-2 years are Kniazev, Pasichnuk, and Hatakka to go along with a quality #7D in Middleton. Organization has far greater needs to fill than another LD prospect as the playing time in the NHL and Cuda is already scarce when Kniazev and Hatakka come into the system next season.

Sharks should always want more assets and a college FA is basically a free one. Could always trade guys like Knyzhov, Simek, Pasichnuk, Hatakka for forward prospects or picks. Cant hurt

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm seing us at 6th OA right now. That's still that top tier I think. The 5 dmen+Beniers/Eklund/Johnson/Wallstedt
Im kind of going off Scouching's rankings. He seems to have ranked guys very similar to how the sharks have drafted them so I think its a decent way to view it. Hes got Beniers,Wallstadt,Hughes,Lysell and Eklund as tier one. The mystery is how the other D will be drafted. If teams reach for guys like Power and Clarke, the talented forwards or goalie could fall to us.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'm seing us at 6th OA right now. That's still that top tier I think. The 5 dmen+Beniers/Eklund/Johnson/Wallstedt
Not to mention Sillinger, Guenther and Raty also being very promising looking prospects. Sharks should make out with a pretty decent prospect in the top 10.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Im kind of going off Scouching's rankings. He seems to have ranked guys very similar to how the sharks have drafted them so I think its a decent way to view it. Hes got Beniers,Wallstadt,Hughes,Lysell and Eklund as tier one. The mystery is how the other D will be drafted. If teams reach for guys like Power and Clarke, the talented forwards or goalie could fall to us.
There's no way Powers falls out of the top 5 IMO. Michigan was so over-scouted this season and showed enough to keep up with his hype. I'm kinda leaning towards Eklund, Johnson, and Beniers as my preferred pick at forward assuming we stay between 5-8. If we fall out of that first group of skaters, I'd hope for Wallstedt. Lysell would be nice but I don't that changes the outlook of the prospect pool very much.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
There's no way Powers falls out of the top 5 IMO. Michigan was so over-scouted this season and showed enough to keep up with his hype. I'm kinda leaning towards Eklund, Johnson, and Beniers as my preferred pick at forward assuming we stay between 5-8. If we fall out of that first group of skaters, I'd hope for Wallstedt. Lysell would be nice but I don't that changes the outlook of the prospect pool very much.
Im scared about drafting a goalie but if he really was a Vezina caliber goalie he could really change this team. Just look at how far the Jets have gone on a goalies back.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Im scared about drafting a goalie but if he really was a Vezina caliber goalie he could really change this team. Just look at how far the Jets have gone on a goalies back.
I'm in the similar boat as you guys when I think the Sharks are bad with goalies in our org but my thinking on this one is take this out of their hands as much as possible and go with one of the most talented young goalies in the last few years who has the potential to be a starter sooner rather than later.

Reactions: themelkman

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

Interesting points. Wallstedt's skills and technique are definitely intriguing. But, I also worry that the Sharks would develop him into a Martin Jones type (for better or worse). He looks smooth laterally right now, but maybe he slows down a bit after he fills out and faces the pro-level grind. Also, the great technique/positioning sounds contingent on being able to see and process the shot. The Sharks aren't great at enabling that now and it doesn't look like the prospect pool will change that projection (unless they have puck movers that can change the pace of the game).

Maybe the Wall is good enough to put it all together and then some. So, I guess I wouldn't rule him out. Though at least now on paper, it doesn't seem like the best of environments to bring up a goalie.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
I'm becoming higher and higher on Guenther as he may have the strongest goal scoring potential in the draft aside from Eklund. I hope we can grab him between 6 & 10. I just hope that no matter who we draft we go for high upside. We need top line / pairing players.

I'm up for drafting Wellstadt if he's Swedish Carey Price all day.

Reactions: tealzamboni

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm becoming higher and higher on Guenther as he may have the strongest goal scoring potential in the draft aside from Eklund. I hope we can grab him between 6 & 10. I just hope that no matter who we draft we go for high upside. We need top line / pairing players.

I’d be happy with Guenther. He’s creeping towards my top tier with Beniers and Eklund.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

For the high-end forwards, Guenther seems to be a relatively "safe" pick. His body of work is in the WHL and that elite wrist action is top-6 caliber in goal scoring. On top of that he skates well and is good with the stick. So, his game should translate as he moves up levels and fills out.

Another intriguing player is Sasha Pastujov. North American player who skates well, plays hard, and moves the puck.

Reactions: Makoshark
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad