2021 IIHF World Hockey Championship

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Abby named captain of Team USA lol

He has been their captain at the World's before, actually a pretty obvious choice when you look at who is there for Team USA. Honestly for as far as USA Hockey has come, to come to an international tournament with what we have is pretty embarrassing... Just have to say it as a guy that waives the American Flag a lot around here, I wish we could start icing better rosters for the Worlds, I just wish people cared more about this tournament in NA. I guess hosting it here once every 20 years and the timing just isn't helping it grow much at all.

They did bring decent goalies, which sometimes is the biggest problem for Team USA. But I do like the young netminders they have.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Just have to say it as a guy that waives the American Flag a lot around here, I wish we could start icing better rosters for the Worlds, I just wish people cared more about this tournament in NA. I guess hosting it here once every 20 years and the timing just isn't helping it grow much at all.
Sorry, I guess I'm part of the problem then. I'll watch the Winter Olympics if NHL players are playing, but otherwise there isn't a tournament out there I'm interested in.

Really, with such a small sample size, only two significant things could come from it:
* An injury
* A guy who previously had limited ice time and/or linemates takes the opportunity and absolutely destroys everybody, to put a relatively unknown guy on the radar for the draft

Hopefully the Wings players stay healthy and enjoy the stint.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
He has been their captain at the World's before, actually a pretty obvious choice when you look at who is there for Team USA. Honestly for as far as USA Hockey has come, to come to an international tournament with what we have is pretty embarrassing... Just have to say it as a guy that waives the American Flag a lot around here, I wish we could start icing better rosters for the Worlds, I just wish people cared more about this tournament in NA. I guess hosting it here once every 20 years and the timing just isn't helping it grow much at all.

They did bring decent goalies, which sometimes is the biggest problem for Team USA. But I do like the young netminders they have.
I am pulling for them this year. But in years past, with Patrick f***ing Kane as their captain, no, I was not on their side.
Nice to see Abbie being recognized, he is a good choice.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Update on czech players. I saw whole game with SWI and i bring you bad news. Hronek and Vrana were terrible absolute garbage turnover machines, Zadina was invisible, Kubalik was invisible too. NHL guys brought nothing to the team but trouble except Chytil who was goat. So it is confirmed Hronek is really fing bad this year and Vrana does not give a f*** about defence, Zadina still snakebit. Biggest shock was Hronek for me who was fing amazing last WC, so its not Blahill fault and bad coaching like we thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSHH

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
Update on czech players. I saw whole game with SWI and i bring you bad news. Hronek and Vrana were terrible absolute garbage turnover machines, Zadina was invisible, Kubalik was invisible too. NHL guys brought nothing to the team but trouble except Chytil who was goat. So it is confirmed Hronek is really fing bad this year and Vrana does not give a f*** about defence, Zadina still snakebit. Biggest shock was Hronek for me who was fing amazing last WC, so its not Blahill fault and bad coaching like we thought.
in vranas defense if im him approaching a contract upgrade i dont even want to be at the whirled's which mean zilch while risking my health . look who team usa sent in abdelkader , these nhlers dont want anything to do with this tourney .

Reactions: David D

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Karma, Sweden not playing Johansson... Loses to Belarus 1-0

Or Berggren.

The Swedish national team system seems too rigid in that they want 2 scoring lines, 2 checking lines, 1 pair of offensive/two way defensemen and 4 defensive defensemen. Also in Sweden it's rare that the centers are play drivers like they are in the North American game. Their on-ice strategy is very soccer like.

Reactions: David D

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Stecher was very active today, Power was looking good , I will be surprised if he isn't #1 at the draft. Galant in trouble. Why did Beniers not play?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Captions updated.

upload_2021-5-23_20-29-58.png

Reactions: pz29

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Another assist for Mo in a 5-1 Win for Germany earlier this morning

2 Assists +3 in the 1st 2 Games

BTW Sweden lost to Denmark 4-3... Karma for cutting Berggren and not playing Johansson lol

And then they lost to Belarus. Watching the tourney on a Swedish channel here in Norway, and their announcer team is not having a good time so far.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seems like Albert will play the rest of the tournament though. Sweden will not be getting any reinforcements from NHL, so they have activated four players. Johansson is among them.
Wouldn't count on him playing, he's still 8th or 9th D, but any sensible coach would obviously make some changes after the first 2 games.

Big article today in Aftonbladet also about Berggren, it's not just Red Wings fans wondering why he's not on the team.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wouldn't count on him playing, he's still 8th or 9th D, but any sensible coach would obviously make some changes after the first 2 games.

Big article today in Aftonbladet also about Berggren, it's not just Red Wings fans wondering why he's not on the team.

Link plz

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
in vranas defense if im him approaching a contract upgrade i dont even want to be at the whirled's which mean zilch while risking my health . look who team usa sent in abdelkader , these nhlers dont want anything to do with this tourney .

That's always been the case. I will grant that the Covid situation likely has an additional effect in terms of motivation, but there's never been a major incentive for NHLers to play in the World Champs and yet there's been great performances from NHL players through the years at the tournament. The World Champs tend to be a big deal in the big European hockey countries, so it's not like there aren't ramifications for guys.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Petades: ”Det kom lite som en chock”

"Many are asking why Jonatan Berggren isn't in Riga"

"-I think I did everything I could do be there, I was disappointed when I was cut. It would have been better to realize I suck and can't play at this level."

"While Tre Kronor struggles to score goals, more voices are being raised about why Berggren didn't make the cut. "

"Sportbladet expert Mats Wennerholm wrote this after yesterday's loss:

-Jonatan Berggren was sent home, even though there was still a spot open in the roster, and they kept Wingerli and Fröden. I can't help but wonder what that line could have done against Denmark and Belarus. I've missed Jonatan Berggren's creativity in both those games."

"- It's nice that people think I should have been there, it proves I've done good things"

"When Berggren didn't make the World Championships cut it was instead made public that he signed a 3 year contract with Detroit Red Wings.

- Now I have the time this summer to be with my family and do hard physical training. Maybe this was the best for me considering next season."

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
They still have that Trashill stank on them... it's hard to rinse off.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad