2021 IIHF World Hockey Championship

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Stecher isn't going anywhere while being on the protected list...
Yeah. I’m pretty sure if my choices are between someone who helped his team win a gold medal at the world’s and two unproven D-men, the choice would be pretty clear. He definitely showed himself to be worthy of being protected, to me.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Yeah. I’m pretty sure if my choices are between someone who helped his team win a gold medal at the world’s and two unproven D-men, the choice would be pretty clear. He definitely showed himself to be worthy of being protected, to me.
While I go by potential to win the Stanley Cup.
The other unproven ones can reach a higher ceiling, while Stecher won't.
And even if they don't reach the highest ceiling, they can still be better, and if it doesn't turn out, finding another Stecher is not a very hard task.

Reactions: winger7020

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
While I go by potential to win the Stanley Cup.
The other unproven ones can reach a higher ceiling, while Stecher won't.
And even if they don't reach the highest ceiling, they can still be better, and if it doesn't turn out, finding another Stecher is not a very hard task.

There’s a very high likelihood that Stecher is already better than Lindstrom ever has the potential to become.

You have Stecher on a really cap friendly deal, he’s the better player today, likely tomorrow, and if nothing else can be used as a trade piece within the next year. Lindstrom is more likely to be plucked off of waivers, if anyone even wants to claim him, than he is to return an asset via trade. Your best bet is to keep the player that has the most value to you. Stecher is that guy...whether he’s a player or a trade chip.

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
There’s a very high likelihood that Stecher is already better than Lindstrom ever has the potential to become.

You have Stecher on a really cap friendly deal, he’s the better player today, likely tomorrow, and if nothing else can be used as a trade piece within the next year. Lindstrom is more likely to be plucked off of waivers, if anyone even wants to claim him, than he is to return an asset via trade. Your best bet is to keep the player that has the most value to you. Stecher is that guy...whether he’s a player or a trade chip.
This.
Stecher already makes our team better, while the kind of player Lindstrom "could" become "might" make our team better in a couple of years. And even then he would just max out as a middle/bottom pair d-man, which are super easy to find in free agency or to draft.
It's nice to project players into the future, but the reality is that Lindstrom doesn't make our team better going into next season unless he takes a massive jump in his development. And even though we need to deal with both the short term and long term aspects of asset management, Lindstrom will be 23 near the start of the coming season and has had four years of development since he was drafted. I just don't think he's shown enough, for me, to warrant being protected over Stecher.
One caveat to all of this, of course, is whether Seattle (or some other team) is willing to overpay for Stecher's services. He had a good track record in Vancouver and showed both with Detroit and at the World's that he has solid middle pair ability, which a lot of teams would love especially with his cap hit. Just a matter of when that overpayment shows itself, either over the summer or at the deadline. But I think in order to maximize our asset management, we need to protect him. We can easily make up for the lost 2nd rounder that Holland spent on Lindstrom, with one of the three we have this year. And if Johansson and Vero pan out in anyway, they are already ahead of Lindstrom on the depth chart by the time Lindstrom would be ready to play full time in the NHL, as well as being 4-5 years younger.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This.
Stecher already makes our team better, while the kind of player Lindstrom "could" become "might" make our team better in a couple of years. And even then he would just max out as a middle/bottom pair d-man, which are super easy to find in free agency or to draft.
It's nice to project players into the future, but the reality is that Lindstrom doesn't make our team better going into next season unless he takes a massive jump in his development. And even though we need to deal with both the short term and long term aspects of asset management, Lindstrom will be 23 near the start of the coming season and has had four years of development since he was drafted. I just don't think he's shown enough, for me, to warrant being protected over Stecher.
One caveat to all of this, of course, is whether Seattle (or some other team) is willing to overpay for Stecher's services. He had a good track record in Vancouver and showed both with Detroit and at the World's that he has solid middle pair ability, which a lot of teams would love especially with his cap hit. Just a matter of when that overpayment shows itself, either over the summer or at the deadline. But I think in order to maximize our asset management, we need to protect him. We can easily make up for the lost 2nd rounder that Holland spent on Lindstrom, with one of the three we have this year. And if Johansson and Vero pan out in anyway, they are already ahead of Lindstrom on the depth chart by the time Lindstrom would be ready to play full time in the NHL, as well as being 4-5 years younger.

Generally I try not to get too hung up on metrics, but it's hard for me to ignore how Stecher's numbers come out when looking at 5 on 5 performance.

3rd on the team in 5on5 TOI/GP (behind Hronek and Merrill)
2nd on the team in xGA/60 (behind Merrill)
1st on the team in SCA/60
2nd on the team in HDCA/60 (behind Merrill)

Considering that you no longer have Merrill, your second most leaned on even strength defenseman produced the best expected goals against, the best scoring chances against, and best high danger chances against rates per 60 minutes among defensemen on our roster.

He's a guy that I can just throw 16 minutes a night, know that he's not going to give up chances to the other team, and allows Hronek and Seider to take the high leverage moments and special teams units.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Generally I try not to get too hung up on metrics, but it's hard for me to ignore how Stecher's numbers come out when looking at 5 on 5 performance.

Considering that you no longer have Merrill, your second most leaned on even strength defenseman produced the best expected goals against, the best scoring chances against, and best high danger chances against rates per 60 minutes among defensemen on our roster.

He's a guy that I can just throw 16 minutes a night, know that he's not going to give up chances to the other team, and allows Hronek and Seider to take the high leverage moments and special teams units.
Exactly. He's a classic middle-pair d-man who can play up in the lineup for stretches depending on injuries. Along with his experience and foot speed, he plays a game that most teams would be comfortable having him for. He just turned 27 back in April so he's still got some prime years ahead of him, and I would entertain the idea of re-signing him to a 3 year deal, but I think he probably gets traded at the deadline for a solid draft pick (2nd or 3rd at worst). He's the kind of guy you probably love to have on your team and fills a depth need with an easy cap-hit.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Not in Detroit, he didn't.
Stecher is a toss-away level defenseman.

3.07 Goals against average.
Worst out of the 10 red wings who played defense last season.

Stecher was better than average on our defense in goals for/60.
But not in way that makes up for a 3.07 GA/60 at 5 on 5. (13th worst in the NHL among D with 600 minutes played)

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Exactly. He's a classic middle-pair d-man who can play up in the lineup for stretches depending on injuries. Along with his experience and foot speed, he plays a game that most teams would be comfortable having him for. He just turned 27 back in April so he's still got some prime years ahead of him, and I would entertain the idea of re-signing him to a 3 year deal, but I think he probably gets traded at the deadline for a solid draft pick (2nd or 3rd at worst). He's the kind of guy you probably love to have on your team and fills a depth need with an easy cap-hit.

Classic middle pair defense? Cut loose by a fairly mediocre Canucks team?
He's the classic 5'10 defenseman with some skating and playmaking ability.
But when push comes to shove, Stecher is a defensive liability who can't get the job done in front of the net or on the wall.
If he was a producer like Barrie or Makar or whatever, you'd look the other way at his deficiencies.
But he's nowhere near that. He produces like Marc Staal. Big f***ing whoop.

Losing Stecher would cost Detroit some depth.
That's what happens with expansion drafts. Teams lose depth.

But losing Stecher, if he goes to Seattle, will cost this team f*** all.
I highly doubt that losing Cholowski or Lindstrom will hurt this team much, either.
But I think I'd rather protect both of those guys ahead of Stecher.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

The "fantastic" Merrill returned Hayden Veerbeek (an undrafted player in the past) and a 5th rounder.
Though his stint with Vegas was decent and his time with the Wings as well. Nothing special, but okay.

Patrik Nemeth returned a 4th rounder.

Not in Detroit, he didn't.
Stecher is a toss-away level defenseman.

3.07 Goals against average.
Worst out of the 10 red wings who played defense last season.

Stecher was better than average on our defense in goals for/60.
But not in way that makes up for a 3.07 GA/60 at 5 on 5. (13th worst in the NHL among D with 600 minutes played)

This. At best. At absolute best, he'll land a 3rd rounder. Also he might not even be "sexy" enough for Seattle to pick him. And if left open and they do pick him, Yzerman wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Some of the staff seems to have a lot of belief and faith in Lindstrom, Cholowski as well though a bit mixed there. But I would be very surprised with any of them being unprotected to protect a Stecher who's not in the slightest plan of a futuristic Red Wings Cup-contender.

For them to toss away a one of the other two who got picked high to be able to trade Stecher for at best a 3rd? No, I really hope that's not gonna happen.

Reactions: MBH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad