OT: 2021 Football Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Zach looks good.... but the injury to Lawson has quickly snapped me back to reality.

Jets season will end in tragedy... it's just the way it is

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jets are supposedly looking to trade for some help on the edge. I don't even know who would be available and worth acquiring.

Reactions: Barnaby

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Jets are supposedly looking to trade for some help on the edge. I don't even know who would be available and worth acquiring.

That feels like a short sighted move unless we're giving up a 3rd or later. The Jets are not a playoff team this year unless Wilson has an all-pro season.
We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. This year was a rebuild year.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That feels like a short sighted move unless we're giving up a 3rd or later. The Jets are not a playoff team this year unless Wilson has an all-pro season.
We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. This year was a rebuild year.
I don't know who's out there. If there was someone that was available that you would expect to be part of the long-term plans, I'd be open to it. But again, I have no idea who realistically is available and would be worth moving a pick for.

The report I read also didn't say if they were trying to use one of their high picks to find a difference-maker, or one of the lower picks to find more of a depth piece to compete with someone like Huff.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Really interested to see what receivers make the roster, the rotation has made it a bit difficult to figure out after the first two games.

Davis
Moore
Crowder (late round pick trade after training camp?)
Mims ( I don't think they are trading him, let him develop in this offense, even if it takes time, he went to the coaches last week and said put me on special teams, he seems to care.)

I thought Cole had a spot locked up, but he seems to have gotten worse as camp went on, didn't get run with the starters today. Berrios could stay on a Crowder trade, or if they want him as punt returner.

Then Vyncent and Jeff Smith maybe fighting for one spot.

Maybe they keep 7, but you probably only need to carry 6 receivers.

Id like to see Mims get more opportunities. I’m not saying he’s a star, but I’m usually impressed by him. I’d rather see Mims than Cole or Berrios.

They already have two guys who can play the slot.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I wouldn't go that far...but I wish he (and JJ Walker) would stop with the Medicare Advantage commercials. One station in particular seems like they air them them every 10 minutes.

Let the guy get paid. He’s a NY sports icon. He could be the buy gold or reverse mortgage guy for all I care. He earned it.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
At this point win 6 games and have Zach playing great and I’ll live.

To be honest, I could give two shits how many games the Jets win this year. Sure it would be nice to win 6-7 even 8 games but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to see this team be competitive into the 4th quarter of 80-90% of the games they play. I want them to be a f'n pain in the ass to play against.

I want to see the O-line start to gel and us pull off an upset or two that Vegas thought we had no chance in winning.
But most of all be competitive and make us here in the fanbase proud and hopeful that the times they are a changing and the future is bright and playoffs are in the realm of possibility in the next year or two.

Oh yeah and like you said, Zach Wilson staying healthy and showing that he's the franchise QB we all hope he is would be awesome too. But as far as wins and losses, I'm not to concerned about that at all. If we got to 6 wins I'd be thrilled. Anything more than that would be gravy!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Just sent out 3 separate fantasy conversations. Had to do it in 3s due to the stupid limit of 5 on HFB.

To all our fantasy participants, please send me your email addresses ASAP so I can add you to the ESPN league.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
To be honest, I could give two shits how many games the Jets win this year. Sure it would be nice to win 6-7 even 8 games but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to see this team be competitive into the 4th quarter of 80-90% of the games they play. I want them to be a f'n pain in the ass to play against.

I want to see the O-line start to gel and us pull off an upset or two that Vegas thought we had no chance in winning.
But most of all be competitive and make us here in the fanbase proud and hopeful that the times they are a changing and the future is bright and playoffs are in the realm of possibility in the next year or two.

Oh yeah and like you said, Zach Wilson staying healthy and showing that he's the franchise QB we all hope he is would be awesome too. But as far as wins and losses, I'm not to concerned about that at all. If we got to 6 wins I'd be thrilled. Anything more than that would be gravy!

Ultimately, record doesn’t really matter but I do think Douglass has been here long enough with two full off seasons that I want to see them show some progression. Another 2 or 3 win season is not acceptable. They should be able to win 6-7 games. Like you said, they need to be competitive and actually put some wins together. Next season is when I’m expecting them to have a shot at a wild card spot.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Ultimately, record doesn’t really matter but I do think Douglass has been here long enough with two full off seasons that I want to see them show some progression. Another 2 or 3 win season is not acceptable. They should be able to win 6-7 games. Like you said, they need to be competitive and actually put some wins together. Next season is when I’m expecting them to have a shot at a wild card spot.

No I agree 2-3 wins wouldn't work. But I don't see anyway this team doesn't win minimum of 5 or so which is why the won/loss record isn't all that important to me in the scheme of things. We have a ton of high draft picks next year and alot of cap space and so I'd expect next year to be the year where we could make a WC push. This year is all about being competitive and Wilson developing into a solid QB.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
No I agree 2-3 wins wouldn't work. But I don't see anyway this team doesn't win minimum of 5 or so which is why the won/loss record isn't all that important to me in the scheme of things. We have a ton of high draft picks next year and alot of cap space and so I'd expect next year to be the year where we could make a WC push. This year is all about being competitive and Wilson developing into a solid QB.

I can see plenty of ways they don’t have 5 wins though I expect at least that much. I’ve rooted for this team for too long.

Suspect corners, no pass rush, Bekhton misses games, Wilson misses a handful of games and White gets starts... not saying these things will happen, but I’m not saying they won’t either.

Im still surprised they never addressed back up QB.

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

I just want to see a competent offense.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Id like to see Mims get more opportunities. I’m not saying he’s a star, but I’m usually impressed by him. I’d rather see Mims than Cole or Berrios.

They already have two guys who can play the slot.
Mims needs to improve his route running. He isn't a bad route runner but he needs to become a perfectionist in his route running if he wants to grab that WR 2 spot. This offense isn't a great offense for the player he currently is. Thats not to say he can't fit in it, but moore fits far better.

Reactions: Barnaby

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

i agree. I sont even care if we go winless as long as zach wilson and the offense look like the real deal.

this defense is just not good enough to win many games. But thats OK if Wilson and the offense look good. If we lose games 28-21 with wilson throwing 2-3 tds or a rbrb getting a some. rushing tds, i can live with that.

if we lose games 28-6 thats major problems.

For me its all about how we look this year. The record is important next year.

Reactions: Maximus

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Regarding the Jets making a move for a pass rusher, I'm just having an issue understanding it. Yes, losing Lawson is a big blow, but this isn't a make or break season. We might as well find out about players already on the roster.

JFM is good, Q is going to be back in there soon enough. They have vets in guys like a Vinny Curry and Ronald Blair. Huff should get reps. Zuniga needs to get reps too. That's a 3rd rounder that this regime drafted. He needs to be someone that they find out about this season.

I'd rather cycle through the waiver wire after cuts are made. Someone will break free that they can claim. They have one of the top claims on the wire and can get whoever they want that hits it.

Same goes when looking for a corner. It's great that these young guys are getting reps in preseason. A vet can be found after being cut if they really want to get one. Sure, it's a player a team didn't want, but vets get cut for reasons other than not being good, especially if their youth is excelling at their position.

With Davis out for a while too, I'd think they'd like to add in a LB as well. Cashman isn't the most durable player either. Jets should be very active on the wire. When you were a 2-14 team, not every issue gets plugged in one draft and one free agency period. I'd be evaluating TE and a backup OT as well. Doubt a decent backup QB shakes loose, but that would be high on the list too.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Regarding the Jets making a move for a pass rusher, I'm just having an issue understanding it. Yes, losing Lawson is a big blow, but this isn't a make or break season. We might as well find out about players already on the roster.

JFM is good, Q is going to be back in there soon enough. They have vets in guys like a Vinny Curry and Ronald Blair. Huff should get reps. Zuniga needs to get reps too. That's a 3rd rounder that this regime drafted. He needs to be someone that they find out about this season.

I'd rather cycle through the waiver wire after cuts are made. Someone will break free that they can claim. They have one of the top claims on the wire and can get whoever they want that hits it.

Same goes when looking for a corner. It's great that these young guys are getting reps in preseason. A vet can be found after being cut if they really want to get one. Sure, it's a player a team didn't want, but vets get cut for reasons other than not being good, especially if their youth is excelling at their position.

With Davis out for a while too, I'd think they'd like to add in a LB as well. Cashman isn't the most durable player either. Jets should be very active on the wire. When you were a 2-14 team, not every issue gets plugged in one draft and one free agency period. I'd be evaluating TE and a backup OT as well. Doubt a decent backup QB shakes loose, but that would be high on the list too.

I'll be stunned if he makes the team, maybe with Lawson and Curry out for the season, he sneaks on, but that 2020 draft is looking hideous.

Becton-injuries, but good first season, now seemingly a bad camp, and might have a concussion
Mims-was 7th on the depth chart, and now hurt.
Davis- Always hurt, looked awful on the field last season
Zuniga- Shown nothing last year, nothing in preseason, never written about in practice, should be cut
Perine- Should be cut, shown nothing
Morgan- Dreadful, should be cut
Clark-Was never in play for a guard spot, horrible neck injury, now on IR
Hall- Maybe starts on one of it not worst CB rotations in the NFL
Mann- Punter

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I see that Curry is out, too. Conflicting reports if he can come back this year or if he's done completely. Still, another hit.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'll be stunned if he makes the team, maybe with Lawson and Curry out for the season, he sneaks on, but that 2020 draft is looking hideous.

Becton-injuries, but good first season, now seemingly a bad camp, and might have a concussion
Mims-was 7th on the depth chart, and now hurt.
Davis- Always hurt, looked awful on the field last season
Zuniga- Shown nothing last year, nothing in preseason, never written about in practice, should be cut
Perine- Should be cut, shown nothing
Morgan- Dreadful, should be cut
Clark-Was never in play for a guard spot, horrible neck injury, now on IR
Hall- Maybe starts on one of it not worst CB rotations in the NFL
Mann- Punter
Mims was never 7th on the depth chart. he was recovering from food poisoning and apparently lost 20lbs so likely was being held to restrictions in terms of work in the heat.

He’s probably 3rd outside wr on the depth chart.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mims was never 7th on the depth chart. he was recovering from food poisoning and apparently lost 20lbs so likely was being held to restrictions in terms of work in the heat.

He’s probably 3rd outside wr on the depth chart.
Yeah I thought the "Mims is no better than sixth on the depth chart" thing was just Cimini or whoever being a sensationalist.

Also, that Etienne thing sucks and I feel bad for him, but it's yet another reminder of the perils of taking RBs with your high picks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

this parallels what I've said about the Rangers and being careful to grab too much instant gratification.

need to try to max young talent to afford a deep roster

thin rosters more susceptible to injury
more dependent on luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad