Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
overall glad about Jets
howev
the biggest mistake after not getting top value for Darnold
was they did not do enough for OL

we added avt, who has odds based on projections a good bet, a solid maybe +, but not an automatic like Sewell [who we had zero chance to get after we did not max our Darnold position vis a vis 2021 assets] or Slater, or the other top guy.

I get the other adds are important at best/useful at worse

but unless we find another 3 starters and some depth, there will be problems until we do

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
overall glad about Jets
howev

we added avt, who has odds based on projections a good bet, a solid maybe +, but not an automatic like Sewell [who we had zero chance to get after we did not max our Darnold position vis a vis 2021 assets] or Slater, or the other top guy.

but unless we find another 3 starters and some depth, there will be problems until we do

I dunno bro. You got Becton and AVT on the left side. You got McGovern at center who improved as the season went on and you have Fant as the right tackle who did pretty decently. I think the O-line tho it certainly needs improvement, is not in terrible shape at all.

Maybe the kid we drafted last year Clark who was hurt the whole season ends up being a player. We don't know. I'm confident Douglas tho will find a decent to good right guard and the O-line should be about as good as it's been in many many moons.

The weapons tho that Wilson will have as his disposal....Davis, Mims, Moore, Crowder, Herndon and Michael Carter should be,on paper, as good of an arsenal as the Jets have had since the 2009-2011 AFC title games Jets had. I'm really excited to see how this team translates on the field.

Amazing how differently I feel about the Jets when it comes to the draft now that we have a competent GM in charge who has a plan and knows what the F he is doing. I know I've said that a thousand times but it's true. Jets actually have a clue now how to build a football team and JD is the reason why I feel so much hope going forward.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I dunno bro. You got Becton and AVT on the left side. You got McGovern at center who improved as the season went on and you have Fant as the right tackle who did pretty decently. I think the O-line tho it certainly needs improvement, is not in terrible shape at all.

Maybe the kid we drafted last year Clark who was hurt the whole season ends up being a player. We don't know. I'm confident Douglas tho will find a decent to good right guard and the O-line should be about as good as it's been in many many moons.

The weapons tho that Wilson will have as his disposal....Davis, Mims, Moore, Crowder, Herndon and Michael Carter should be,on paper, as good of an arsenal as the Jets have had since the 2009-2011 AFC title games Jets had. I'm really excited to see how this team translates on the field.

Amazing how differently I feel about the Jets when it comes to the draft now that we have a competent GM in charge who has a plan and knows what the F he is doing. I know I've said that a thousand times but it's true. Jets actually have a clue now how to build a football team and JD is the reason why I feel so much hope going forward.

large agree
but
would still have compromised a bit elsewhere to add more to our OL

impressed w/your vigilant awareness of current status of our lower profile guys, and I hope you are right.
Guys grow until they reached their peak.
like you say, who knows about Fant, etc.

that said, would have suspected that if development seemed more probable -- like is the case w/Becton -- that there would have been more stated optimism that was the case.

But what's done is done.
And most of it is good, very good.
My concern is we needed SO VERY much, and still need lots.
But I give GM an A
except for not dealing Darnold for more, which is borderline unforgiveable.

Imagine if something like
Darnold + SEA 1st + Jets 2nd + 4th
for
SF 1st [12OA] + starting T McGlinchey [sp?] + SF 3rd

had happened?
12OA + Jets 2022 1st
might have gotten mid top 10 + small add 2022

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
large agree
but
would still have compromised a bit elsewhere to add more to our OL

impressed w/your vigilant awareness of current status of our lower profile guys, and I hope you are right.
Guys grow until they reached their peak.
like you say, who knows about Fant, etc.

that said, would have suspected that if development seemed more probable -- like is the case w/Becton -- that there would have been more stated optimism that was the case.

But what's done is done.
And most of it is good, very good.
My concern is we needed SO VERY much, and still need lots.
But I give GM an A
except for not dealing Darnold for more, which is borderline unforgiveable.

Imagine if something like
Darnold + SEA 1st + Jets 2nd + 4th
for
SF 1st [12OA] + starting T McGlinchey [sp?] + SF 3rd

had happened?
12OA + Jets 2022 1st
might have gotten mid top 10 + small add 2022

Can't go anymore with hypotheticals IMO anymore Bern. This is the reality of the situation. Douglas has had two drafts and 2 FA offseason signing periods to this very moment in time. and I'd grade them a B-B+ combined which compared to any other Jet GM except Parcells and a few of the Tannebaum years is stellar.

He'll have another draft next year where the Jets have as much if not more draft capital than we had this year with 2 1rst's and 2 2nd's. This team was never going to be built in just one or two drafts as it the team was so broken and the organization so F'd up, it was just dyfunction that was the proverbial word around Jetland.

Now we give Douglas another draft and UFA period after this season, than I do believe and I'll be one of them trust me, who thinks the Jets should be ready to start competing seriously for a playoff spot. In the NFL it doesn't take all that long to turn your franchise around(ie...Colts, Bills are just two of the most recent ones) if you have competent leadership that has a plan.

Well Jets have that part covered now as Douglas is the right man for the gig here. Now it's just a question if the players he and the scouting and coaching staff have brought in are as good as they appear to be.

Just as the Knicks all of a sudden are relevant now, you never know, things might click here too sooner than we think. All I know is there is some hope finally and I'm grateful for that now. Can't wait for training camp!

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

they reset the QB clock and the kid appears to be solid. Adding another rock to the OL and a WR looks good. An actual foundation.

Amazingly, the whole division looks pretty strong now.

Reactions: Maximus

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Can't go anymore with hypotheticals IMO anymore Bern. This is the reality of the situation. Douglas has had two drafts and 2 FA offseason signing periods to this very moment in time. and I'd grade them a B-B+ combined which compared to any other Jet GM except Parcells and a few of the Tannebaum years is stellar.

He'll have another draft next year where the Jets have as much if not more draft capital than we had this year with 2 1rst's and 2 2nd's. This team was never going to be built in just one or two drafts as it the team was so broken and the organization so F'd up, it was just dyfunction that was the proverbial word around Jetland.

Now we give Douglas another draft and UFA period after this season, than I do believe and I'll be one of them trust me, who thinks the Jets should be ready to start competing seriously for a playoff spot. In the NFL it doesn't take all that long to turn your franchise around(ie...Colts, Bills are just two of the most recent ones) if you have competent leadership that has a plan.

Well Jets have that part covered now as Douglas is the right man for the gig here. Now it's just a question if the players he and the scouting and coaching staff have brought in are as good as they appear to be.

Just as the Knicks all of a sudden are relevant now, you never know, things might click here too sooner than we think. All I know is there is some hope finally and I'm grateful for that now. Can't wait for training camp!
Parcells may have temporarily rebuilt the Jets but he gets an F from me for chasing Peyton Manning to grad school while passing on 3 HOFers in his first draft with the Jets.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I've only been indifferent to the Bears in my life but now I have a sudden desire to see their destruction and anguish....

....until 2022. Then I don't care again lmfao.

I went to the Jets/Bears game at Soldier field a few years ago. Behind me was a group of dudes who had the worst takes throughout the whole game. peak was this dude ranting about how Sam Darnold led Jets were the worst offense he has ever seen. LITERALLY the worst in NFL history.

Without a hint of irony he continued this commentary, in between watching Mitch Tribusky fire it off Tarek Cohen's helmet from 5 feet away all game.

I thnk about that guy often. I hope Fields gets beat out by Nick Foles for opening day.

Reactions: bernmeister

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
overall glad about Jets
howev

Hindsight is 20/20. It's hard to criticize the Jets for not dealing Darnold earlier. They weren't going to trade him until they were confident taking Wilson. It's hard to fault them for that.

I would've liked to add a C or another guard, but ultimately I think they did well. You have to like the OL better today than you did a year ago, so they are headed in the right direction. Most people seems to think AVT has pro bowl potential at LG.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Parcells may have temporarily rebuilt the Jets but he gets an F from me for chasing Peyton Manning to grad school while passing on 3 HOFers in his first draft with the Jets.

Sorry my friend but anyone who's personnel decisions were the main reason that a team that was an absolute joke at 1-15 and two years later be 12-4 and one half away from a SB appearance cannot possibly get an F no matter how many HOF's he might have passed up.

And that's not to mention the Jets the following year had Vinny T not torn his achillies on the 2nd play from scrimmage 1st game of that '99 season, the Jets very likely would have made it to the AFC title game again and were the favorites to win the SB that year.

So I don't see how in this world we live in, Parcells could not only not be given a failing grade for his tenor as coach/GM but in fact is the best GM the team has ever had.

Douglas tho has the pedigree and potential IMO to move right up there with Parcells as best GM the Jets have ever had in lets say 2 years when Jets hopefully will be in the playoffs again.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Hindsight is 20/20. It's hard to criticize the Jets for not dealing Darnold earlier. They weren't going to trade him until they were confident taking Wilson. It's hard to fault them for that.

I would've liked to add a C or another guard, but ultimately I think they did well. You have to like the OL better today than you did a year ago, so they are headed in the right direction. Most people seems to think AVT has pro bowl potential at LG.

I actually think after the draft and UFA that the Jets are better at pretty much every area than they were last year and that includes O-line and that's due to Douglas personnel decisions which have been spot on for the most part since he took over.

Only area that the Jets are worse than last year is probably in the secondary even with bringing Marcus Maye back which they absolutaly had to do. I dunno with 4 picks next year in the first two rounds of the draft next year, I'm not so sure that Douglas didn't set out to repair the offense first which was the worst in the league and than next year address the remaining deficincies which are the secondary as I just mentioned and fortify the O-line even more.

For now tho even if the Jets didn't do another thing, they are much improved both from a coaching standpoint and a talent perspective. I'm not looking for miracles here but if the Jets can kind do what the Knicks have done this season which is surprise the league, be a pain in the ass to play against every single week, even if they only win 5-6 games, I'd be OK with that seeing it is 2022 after next year's draft when the rebuild should truly start bearing it's fruits.

Love love love the direction the team is going and once again as I've said a zillion times, it's because the Jets finally have a guy in Douglas who knows what the F he is doing, has a plan and has hired the right people to execute the plan. Finally some fun times are ahead for us Jet fans after a decade of being a clown show!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

You are also never going to fully build out an offensive line in a single year. I am pretty sure your draft next year will have an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, for example.

Reactions: Maximus

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

McGovern and Van Roten, if memory serves, were also much better after the first five or six games. McGovern in particular. Hopefully with a semi-regular offseason the line gels better than last season.

Roster cut-downs may also yield some decent options.

Finally, some of the poor offensive line play was Darnold holding onto the ball too long (in turn because he was rattled by previous poor offensive line play and not having any receivers that could separate). So, by adding a guy like Moore who should be able to quickly get open, and someone in Wilson who is good at getting rid of the ball quickly, that should provide additional help to the line.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
You are also never going to fully build out an offensive line in a single year. I am pretty sure your draft next year will have an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, for example.

Agreed. As I said, I think Douglas had a 2-3 year plan in mind beginning with last years draft to fix and plug some holes and with two more drafts that by that time, the team would have what it needed to be relevant and be a playoff contender if not a participant.

Bottom line is the Jets are finally headed in the right direction and it's comforting to know that we have the right guy "doing the shopping" as some dude...I think his name was Parcells once said almost 30 years ago!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Look guys, there is what coulda/shoulda been, and there is what there is.
I'm willing to move on.

But I just want it clear, as I believe I am entitled, that when I accurately assessed the reward-risk situation and called they should have immediately dealt Darnold for the highest return, consequences be damned, and they don't do it, then I have a right to bring up how, in this one specific instance, I was right and they were wrong.

That is how I live with them getting it wrong.

That doesn't mean I also don't get my share of what is wrong, and I will admit to what that is --- provided it is accurate, and not revisionist history.

But when I'm right, I'm right.

by the same token, any of you guys call it in advance, I will likewise back up your claim when accurate and factual

This was not hindsight.
bern was sayin
you may or may not want to take Wilson -- and I get that fine, you are weighing the reset on the contract and the upside v. labrum or whatev damage.
But it was worth risking to move Darnold.

Darnold had 3OA pedigree, and looked good w/a bad team end of last season.

No reason to not sell high on that.

All that said, I'm with you guys and am hoping for the best
We need like 5 guys for the OL

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It's wrong to expect every hole to be filled in one off season when a team has the # of enormous holes the Jets did.

The Jets needed CB, slot CB, two LB, edge,
QB, C, two G, TE, RB, an outside WR, AND a slot WR for the future.

13 spots.

They've done more than enough to fill 8 of those in one off-season. That's an incredible job.

It's not a mark against you if some of those needs aren't met through a single off-season.
Doubly so when you realize they have a lot of cap and a TON of draft capital again next off-season too.

Triply so when taking into account some of those positions might be filled by guys who are developing/growing into the role/fit better in our incoming system.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Look guys, there is what coulda/shoulda been, and there is what there is.
I'm willing to move on.

But I just want it clear, as I believe I am entitled, that when I accurately assessed the reward-risk situation and called they should have immediately dealt Darnold for the highest return, consequences be damned, and they don't do it, then I have a right to bring up how, in this one specific instance, I was right and they were wrong.

That is how I live with them getting it wrong.

That doesn't mean I also don't get my share of what is wrong, and I will admit to what that is --- provided it is accurate, and not revisionist history.

But when I'm right, I'm right.

by the same token, any of you guys call it in advance, I will likewise back up your claim when accurate and factual

This was not hindsight.
bern was sayin
you may or may not want to take Wilson -- and I get that fine, you are weighing the reset on the contract and the upside v. labrum or whatev damage.
But it was worth risking to move Darnold.

Darnold had 3OA pedigree, and looked good w/a bad team end of last season.

No reason to not sell high on that.

All that said, I'm with you guys and am hoping for the best
We need like 5 guys for the OL

I wasn't knocking you for keeping on with the Darnold stuff. I was just saying it's time to move on...that's all.

I think Douglas frankly got as much if not more for Darnold than I, and many other Jet fans thought was possible. Douglas was not in a good position, had no real leverage, as Darnold despite his youth and occasional signs of being very good, was very inconsistent, indecisive, mistake prone whether or not it was his fault or the team's for not surrounding him with a good O-line or weaponry and some pretty horrid coaching.

To get a 2nd and 4th next year and a 6th this season for the worst starting QB in the NFL is a pretty decent haul while resetting the financial clock....I dunno man, I don't think any GM could have done better than Douglas did in return for Darnold.

Reactions: bernmeister

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The only area where the Jets definitely got worse is CB with Poole leaving. But there's still time - hopefully they bring in Sherman. Maybe Poole comes back depending on interest.

DL improved, LB with Mosley returning improved.

QB - TBD
RB - better
WR - better
TE -wash
OL - better

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I've only been indifferent to the Bears in my life but now I have a sudden desire to see their destruction and anguish....

....until 2022. Then I don't care again lmfao.

and the Bears advance to the Conference Championship :mad:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Sorry my friend but anyone who's personnel decisions were the main reason that a team that was an absolute joke at 1-15 and two years later be 12-4 and one half away from a SB appearance cannot possibly get an F no matter how many HOF's he might have passed up.

And that's not to mention the Jets the following year had Vinny T not torn his achillies on the 2nd play from scrimmage 1st game of that '99 season, the Jets very likely would have made it to the AFC title game again and were the favorites to win the SB that year.

So I don't see how in this world we live in, Parcells could not only not be given a failing grade for his tenor as coach/GM but in fact is the best GM the team has ever had.

Douglas tho has the pedigree and potential IMO to move right up there with Parcells as best GM the Jets have ever had in lets say 2 years when Jets hopefully will be in the playoffs again.
Improving over the Rich Kotite era is not a high bar. Parcells inherited some talent and a ton of draft capital. The problem with parcells is he put together a good team but did not build a lasting core.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Improving over the Rich Kotite era is not a high bar. Parcells inherited some talent and a ton of draft capital. The problem with parcells is he put together a good team but did not build a lasting core.

The problem with Parcells was that he couldn't stay in one place longer than a few years. The whole Belichek saga was what ruined things for the Jets but Parcells while he was here was unquestionably the best talent evaluator the Jets have ever had.

Never in my lifetime have the Jets ever been so dominant as they were during that 1998 season and it would have likely been even more dominant for the 1999 season had Vinny not torn his achilles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia