OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Towards end of prior thread, there was a post noting a pundit -- forget if Kiper or Shay -- said NY might trade down + Darnold + for top 5ish + extra picks

Again no.
I have no prob moving Darnold for half decent value.
I don't care if our QB next season is

Darnold
or alternatuively
Flacco + a vet + a project

I have no prob trading our other picks up or down, or even possibly gambling on a 2o22 selection if the reward looks like its worth the risk.

But no on moving 2.
IT MUST be used on Sewell.
We MUST get a dominant LT

Becton alone is not enough.

Taking Sewell is the best foundation, build move we can make.

An extra selection or 2 even if late first or mid 2nd territory is not gonna get a likely guarantee HoF LT who has the best chance to dramatically improve total offense.
I would have considered strongly a likely exception in Namath endorsed Lawrence; I could see him as Namath ish 2.0, Montana lite w/a better arm.
But the rest of these guys, no,

Every year there are guys who are supposedly the next best thing, some have great arms, others don't.
It usually -- almost always -- takes time for guys w/the tools to get enough feel for how to execute in NFL under NFL conditions.

Get an immediate dif maker who can buy our QB -- whoever that is -- precious time.

That's the ticket and I'm sticking to it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Towards end of prior thread, there was a post noting a pundit -- forget if Kiper or Shay -- said NY might trade down + Darnold + for top 5ish + extra picks

That's not what McShay said. McShay is old friends with Douglas and spoke to Cimini.

He said he expects the Jets to stay with Darnold, and probably trade down (to pick a non QB). He mentioned how they evaluate Darnold against Wilson/Fields.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Mock draft lol. This ought be good. Jets keep trading back to get four #1’s and Sewell plus three Hall of Famers

Reactions: 17futurecap

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Mock draft lol. This ought be good. Jets keep trading back to get four #1’s and Sewell plus three Hall of Famers
Jets have a long established history of passing on hall of famers. Last time the Jets had the 2nd pick they passed on Anthony Munoz.

Edit: Forgot about the time they took Blair Thomas at 2 instead of Emmitt Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Doug Pederson, how bad.

Yes, he won the SuperBowl, so has Mike McCarthy.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Gase 2.0

Fired after running a franchise into the ground. Offensive genius! Trust us - he's brilliant!
Doug is a good coach, and a lot of these issues this season directly stemmed from how many injuries the team had. I think this will probably be the wrong move for them in the long run, but I understand the move if he was insistent on promoting Press Taylor to OC and was throwing a wrench into the upcoming QB decision. The issues extend beyond him too - Howie's been horrific at drafting in recent years, and they've overcomplicated the coaching staff by having a million assistant offensive coaches instead of a dedicated offensive coordinator. Howie should probably be fired too for how he's handled the cap situation, but he's close with Lurie, so it'll never happen.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jets have a long established history of passing on hall of famers. Last time the Jets had the 2nd pick they passed on Anthony Munoz.

Edit: Forgot about the time they took Blair Thomas at 2 instead of Emmitt Smith.
Not that the Jets warrant defending, but IIRC the thing with Munoz was he had failed a physical and that the Jets were scared off as a result. They were afraid his knee wouldn't hold up. I don't think it was their usual bad talent analysis or trying to be smarter than everyone bullshit. :laugh:

They also considered Cortez Kennedy instead of Blair Thomas but thought "Supreme" was too fat.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Doug is a good coach, and a lot of these issues this season directly stemmed from how many injuries the team had. I think this will probably be the wrong move for them in the long run, but I understand the move if he was insistent on promoting Press Taylor to OC and was throwing a wrench into the upcoming QB decision. The issues extend beyond him too - Howie's been horrific at drafting in recent years, and they've overcomplicated the coaching staff by having a million assistant offensive coaches instead of a dedicated offensive coordinator. Howie should probably be fired too for how he's handled the cap situation, but he's close with Lurie, so it'll never happen.

The Wentz unraveling is so strange. So many issues with the OL and WR, which I get, but the way it played out was so bizarre. The constant feeding of info to Schefter (most of which he dropped Sunday morning, which probably pissed everyone in Philly off).

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The Wentz unraveling is so strange. So many issues with the OL and WR, which I get, but the way it played out was so bizarre. The constant feeding of info to Schefter (most of which he dropped Sunday morning, which probably pissed everyone in Philly off).
The Wentz situation is really weird, and I'm gonna just let the smoke blow over before I dive into it too much. Carson definitely was bad this year, but I think going from a usually top-rated offensive line to a bunch of replacements really threw off his timing, and the WR play only made it worse. They also severely under-utilize Miles Sanders and did essentially nothing to incorporate Raegor into the offense this season.

That being said, Wentz has dealt with some insane injuries in the last 3 years, and I wouldn't be shocked if he's heading towards an early retirement like Andrew Luck. He's probably still the better QB to buy in on going forward, but I'm honestly not too invested in either him or Hurts at the moment. Their cap situation is going to severely hinder fixing any serious holes on the roster, so they're probably better suited to start tearing it down and starting over.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Can't see the Jets hiring Pederson after the Gase era. Another retread that was trending negatively and fails here would cause a riot with the fanbase.

Conner Hughes posted that his firing won't affect the Jets decision as they're already smitten with a couple people they interviewed. I'm thinking Daboll or Eberflus are the guys.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Wentz situation is really weird, and I'm gonna just let the smoke blow over before I dive into it too much. Carson definitely was bad this year, but I think going from a usually top-rated offensive line to a bunch of replacements really threw off his timing, and the WR play only made it worse. They also severely under-utilize Miles Sanders and did essentially nothing to incorporate Raegor into the offense this season.

That being said, Wentz has dealt with some insane injuries in the last 3 years, and I wouldn't be shocked if he's heading towards an early retirement like Andrew Luck. He's probably still the better QB to buy in on going forward, but I'm honestly not too invested in either him or Hurts at the moment. Their cap situation is going to severely hinder fixing any serious holes on the roster, so they're probably better suited to start tearing it down and starting over.
I can see Wentz being dealt to a team like New England, and then here we go again.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

If I had to guess, one of the reasons Pederson was fired was because him and Wentz could no longer be a thing. When moving Wentz under any fashion is going to submarine the team cap wise, the only resolution is to fire the coach. This on top of all the other things that took place the last few weeks probably made it an easy choice for them.

Maybe they haven't decided on Wentz vs Hurts, but you cannot have a 50 million dollar cap penalty on your team and expect to do anything. They are better off attempting to rehabilitate him instead of moving him for next to nothing and a huge penalty.

Reactions: bernmeister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia