OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Unless the Jets do something about their secondary, they're going to have a really hard time. There's some upside with like a Bryce Hall, but otherwise they're going to get torched. A better pass rush should help, but still. Also, even with Moses in the mix, I worry about Becton holding up, and an injury to him makes the line a concern again IMO.

I think they're a decent team but I'd be really surprised if they were "good" in any real sense.

Reactions: bernmeister

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Unless the Jets do something about their secondary, they're going to have a really hard time. There's some upside with like a Bryce Hall, but otherwise they're going to get torched. A better pass rush should help, but still. Also, even with Moses in the mix, I worry about Becton holding up, and an injury to him makes the line a concern again IMO.

I think they're a decent team but I'd be really surprised if they were "good" in any real sense.

If they are competitive in games as in "the game is still in doubt heading into the 4th quarter" type competitive, that alone would be a big win for the Jets this upcoming season compared to how it's been every single season since that surprising and flukish 2015 season when Fitzpatrick forgot he was supposed to suck until the last game of the year.

The secondary is for sure a concern but there is hope that some of Saleh's schemes he has up his sleeve can mask some of the weaknesses there because on paper the Jets defense looks quite improved over last year with the additions of Larson, Rankins a healthy Mosley and a hopefully improved Ashtyn Davis

Tho it would definitely sting for sure, the Moses signing and the drafting of AVT gives me quite a bit more confidence that we could withstand a Becton injury.

I've read Becton has lost some weight which if he wants to stay on the field, he has to do that as even if he's a great athlete at 375 lbs and quick for his size, he'd be that much more quicker at 330-335 and he'd have a better chance of not getting hurt. We'll see but this is about as optimistic as I can recall I've been for a Jets season since probably 2011, the season after the Steeler AFC title game loss.

Reactions: nyr2k2

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Ugh. I don’t know all the details about money and term year. But it is annoying that we can’t even seem to keep guys around. Sure they get assets, but no one seems to stay past their rookie deal. It’s annoying.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ugh. I don’t know all the details about money and term year. But it is annoying that we can’t even seem to keep guys around. Sure they get assets, but no one seems to stay past their rookie deal. It’s annoying.

Yeah Douglas' "I have a number and I'm sticking to it" thing is getting old. You want to play hardball with low- and mid-tier guys, awesome. But you can't keep hemorrhaging top talent.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Do you really think Maye is a top 10 safety in the league? Kind of ironic considering that he's going to be paid more than Adams this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Do you really think Maye is a top 10 safety in the league? Kind of ironic considering that he's going to be paid more than Adams this year.
I think he's close. I saw the ESPN survey of players, coaches, execs, etc. and Maye was outside the top ten but in the HM category.

I just don't want to keep shipping out our top players. I want to be known as an organization that takes care of its guys, not one that's always squeezing everyone and constantly moves out good players for draft capital. Even if that means that you have to spend a couple million extra on a guy every now and then. I was okay with Adams getting moved because he was kind of a dick, but at some point you just have to pay your guys.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I think the issue with Maye is he's 28 and a safety. I can't really blame Douglas for not wanting to pay top dollar.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sherman arrested for felony domestic. Seems like he's out of the picture now.

EDIT: And he fought with police and, when he was arrested for the burglary/domestic violence incident, already had a warrant out for a hit and run an hour earlier. He really went all-in.

Reactions: Barnaby

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

EDIT: And he fought with police and, when he was arrested for the burglary/domestic violence incident, already had a warrant out for a hit and run an hour earlier. He really went all-in.

is it me or does the NFL always have an uptick in arrests prior to camp?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Funny... always heard about him being an incredible leader/person who was a brilliant Stanford student.

Funny, I never got that impression listening to him.

I’d take a big pass if he’s even allowed to play this season. NYJ don’t need the headache.

They could certainly use another CB or two though... Poole was still around last I heard - not sure if that’s changed. He was a nice slot guy - I enjoyed him.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
is it me or does the NFL always have an uptick in arrests prior to camp?

Idk, maybe they try to blow off a little steam prior to the season. It has always been amazing to me how many arrests are made and how they mostly seem to get swept under the rug if it doesn’t involve a homicide or superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad