Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Throw every single pick at high upside guys. I can’t watch a team without elite talent much longer

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'm kind of at a loss for what we should be targeting in this draft. I mean we clearly need elite skill but we also need players who can skate. Kent Johnson is arguably the most talented forward in the draft but has skating issues and may not play center in the NHL (he played on Beniers wing all year). Can we afford to get any slower? Beniers has the skating but does he have the offensive talent to be a 1C? Eklund is said to play C and LW but spent the entire year at LW and may be undersized as an NHL center. Guenther is a pure RW; there is not any big question marks there as far as I can tell.

All of the consensus four D are plus skaters. Power has high potential both offensively and defensively (Good hands, offensive instincts and he's huge) but I've seen quite a few scouts question whether or not it will translate and as of right now the defensive side of his game needs improvement. Edvinsson is great defensively, a good skater and appears to have high end offensive tools but he also has a tendency to make some incredibly dumb plays and his production hasn't matched the "tools" yet. Clarke is an elite skater and great offensively but struggles defensively. Hughes is similar to Clarke but probably more raw and a LHS but is also one of the youngest players in the draft.

And for all we know we'll be picking 11-13.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm kind of at a loss for what we should be targeting in this draft. I mean we clearly need elite skill but we also need players who can skate.

I would go skating over pure skill at this point. Very hard to think and skill your way through NHL team defense. Skating is the most repeatable and reliable skill, and elite skating means you're more often in good positions offensively and defensively.

Overall the drafting has been OK the last 8 years but if I were to point to one notable failing it would be the lack of great skaters we have on the NHL team.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I would go skating over pure skill at this point. Very hard to think and skill your way through NHL team defense. Skating is the most repeatable and reliable skill, and elite skating means you're more often in good positions offensively and defensively.

Overall the drafting has been OK the last 8 years but if I were to point to one notable failing it would be the lack of great skaters we have on the NHL team.
It feels like something consistently associated with high (1st and 2nd round) Flames picks is okay to poor skating and they don't seem to draft many guys who can legitimately fly. That's my worry if Kent Johnson were to fall to us. I think he's a really good player with a lot of skill and creativity but he's an average to below average skater and I have no faith in the Flames ability to develop his skating.

I think it's important to not overemphasis speed and draft guys solely for it but not only is like 1/2 of our forward group slow but almost our entire defense are poor skaters (in either straight line speed or agility). Getting a Hagelin or Lombardi in the 3rd+ round of the draft would probably help balance our lineup a lot.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It feels like something consistently associated with high (1st and 2nd round) Flames picks is okay to poor skating and they don't seem to draft many guys who can legitimately fly. That's my worry if Kent Johnson were to fall to us. I think he's a really good player with a lot of skill and creativity but he's an average to below average skater and I have no faith in the Flames ability to develop his skating.

I think it's important to not overemphasis speed and draft guys solely for it but not only is like 1/2 of our forward group slow but almost our entire defense are poor skaters (in either straight line speed or agility). Getting a Hagelin or Lombardi in the 3rd+ round of the draft would probably help balance our lineup a lot.
Except when they do draft those players, they dont play them, exhibit A: Kylington. I fully agree this team needs to skate better and needs game breaking talent. But they dont have a coach that will allow players to go through their growing pains and havent had that in years.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm kind of at a loss for what we should be targeting in this draft. I mean we clearly need elite skill but we also need players who can skate. Kent Johnson is arguably the most talented forward in the draft but has skating issues and may not play center in the NHL (he played on Beniers wing all year). Can we afford to get any slower? Beniers has the skating but does he have the offensive talent to be a 1C? Eklund is said to play C and LW but spent the entire year at LW and may be undersized as an NHL center. Guenther is a pure RW; there is not any big question marks there as far as I can tell.

All of the consensus four D are plus skaters. Power has high potential both offensively and defensively (Good hands, offensive instincts and he's huge) but I've seen quite a few scouts question whether or not it will translate and as of right now the defensive side of his game needs improvement. Edvinsson is great defensively, a good skater and appears to have high end offensive tools but he also has a tendency to make some incredibly dumb plays and his production hasn't matched the "tools" yet. Clarke is an elite skater and great offensively but struggles defensively. Hughes is similar to Clarke but probably more raw and a LHS but is also one of the youngest players in the draft.

And for all we know we'll be picking 11-13.
bpa

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The other issue with Kent Johnson is the question of whether he's a product of Beniers.

We've seen this numerous times with high draft picks by the organization. Greg Nemisz (Taylor Hall) Kris Chuko (Travis Zajac) and Chuck Kobasew (Brian Gionta) are a few that come to mind.

He put up insane numbers in the BCJHL in his draft -1 season and was considered a potential first overall pick heading into the season. He's really good. He'll be picked long before we pick though

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Howabout both? If you just go with skating, you may end up with guys like Rieder, Nordstrom or Bartkowski.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Poltapov, Berhens and Morrow are three guys I’d love to get as 2nd round targets

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Yeah I'm not saying only draft for skating or anything. Just that having even one winger like Ehlers, Kapanen, or Josh Anderson that can beat defenders wide and get the puck on net would have been a big boon for the Flames this year. Even a guy like Mikheyev or Anthanasiou who are inconsistent producers but can create some chaos with their speed and generate scoring chances out of nothing would make this team much more dangerous.

I have some hope Heineman could be that for us in a couple years, his straight line speed is pretty decent. Dream pick for the Flames for me would still be Beniers or Clarke but seems more likely we'll be in the 8-15 range. Like Bolduc, Hughes, Olausson, Johnson in that grouping.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

I watched a video of a scout that liked Edvinsson quite a bit and thought of him as Broberg with a much higher floor. I'm guessing Jack's review may differ from his a little.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

It's remarkable how a guy like Bo Horvat could be drafted by the Canucks as a "poor" skater, and then the Canucks put him on a plan to become a better skater, and by last year he was this guy:

Meanwhile Monahan, Tkachuk, Andersson skate just like they did in Junior

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It's remarkable how a guy like Bo Horvat could be drafted by the Canucks as a "poor" skater, and then the Canucks put him on a plan to become a better skater, and by last year he was this guy:

Tavares had skating issues too when he was drafted. I don't know if we're just unlucky with the players we're choosing already having maxed out their skating potential in junior or if we're just not very capable in that department. I lean towards the latter.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Flames absolutely should invest in a better skating coach / development.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Canada absolutely stomped Sweden 12-1 at the U18’s yesterday. Clarke had 4 points, Pinelli had 3, and Shane Wright had a hat trick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Draft to Dev: Simon Edvinsson

Maybe not a guy you want to take top 5.

At 6th overall, the Calgary Flames are proud to select...

giphy.gif

Reactions: Volica and cheechoo

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Okay, say we win the #2 lotto spot and Owen Power goes #1 as expected.

Who would you take - Beniers or Gauthier?

I think it's a coin flip but I think I would take Beniers as a two way center who plays with pace. I love the thought of Beniers and Zary as our 1-2 in five years. However a Pelletier-Zary-Gauthier line is also very tempting.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Okay, say we win the #2 lotto spot and Owen Power goes #1 as expected.

Who would you take - Beniers or Gauthier?

I think it's a coin flip but I think I would take Beniers as a two way center who plays with pace. I love the thought of Beniers and Zary as our 1-2 in five years. However a Pelletier-Zary-Gauthier line is also very tempting.
I'm assuming you mean Guenther, not Gauthier?

In which case, for the Flames, I pick Guenther. This team needs a premier goal scorer and he projects to be exactly that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames aren't drafting that high anyways and even if they were, they haven't focused on size in round 1 in well over a decade. I suspect our pick will be in the 10-14 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad