Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Basis the odds of any draft I doubt that, has there been any draft where the top 8 picks were all impact NHL players?

literally almost every year. There are a few busts of guys that don’t develop. But those top 8 guys would go high every year. Last year there was like 12 of those guys which is rare. Normally you see 6-10 blue chip prospects in a draft. This year is no different

Bond

May 10, 2012
literally almost every year. There are a few busts of guys that don’t develop. But those top 8 guys would go high every year. Last year there was like 12 of those guys which is rare. Normally you see 6-10 blue chip prospects in a draft. This year is no different
Guess it depends on what you define as impact. I think a 1st line forward or 1st pairing D as impact.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Really curious where Wallstedt and Cossa go. With the perception of a weaker draft, a team or two taking a shot at a franchise G in the top 10 could drop some talented players back.

Doubt both G’s go top 10, but I could see one of them for sure

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Guess it depends on what you define as impact. I think a 1st line forward or 1st pairing D as impact.

IMO those guys all project as first liners. Which is also what I consider a blue chipper. Likely a few only become middle pair or middle six forwards but there is high end talent for sure in this draft.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Basis the odds of any draft I doubt that, has there been any draft where the top 8 picks were all impact NHL players?

Minus pick 8, 2009 was good.
2011 would be a good example.
2013 would be a good example.
2015 would be a good example.
Still early, but 2018 and 2019 looks like a potentially good ones.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like Bobby Mac’s top 8 and feel we need to be in that range to get one of those guys.

Yeah man, a consolidation of a shit season and not winning the draft would be somehow picking Kent Johnson at 7/8 kind of thing.
Calgary needs to embrace the tank here. A bottom 5 finish is unlikely... but not unobtainable. Getting Beniers as a consolidation for not winning the lotto and sucking all season would be a nice little bonus.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Yeah man, a consolidation of a shit season and not winning the draft would be somehow picking Kent Johnson at 7/8 kind of thing.
Calgary needs to embrace the tank here. A bottom 5 finish is unlikely... but not unobtainable. Getting Beniers as a consolidation for not winning the lotto and sucking all season would be a nice little bonus.
Those BCHL guys in the first round always give me Kris Chucko flashbacks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Those BCHL guys in the first round always give me Kris Chucko flashbacks

I mean, drafts in the early 2010’s feel like eons ago. Let alone Chucko lol.
The big thing with Beniers is the production in the USHL and college... then how impressive he was at the juniors as a youngster.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Still don’t how the Flames scouts at the time came away with wanting to draft Chucko when Travis Zajac was on the same team and was available until we traded down.
gUUolmM.jpg

Drafting for organizational need, not by BPA

Reactions: cheechoo

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Still don’t how the Flames scouts at the time came away with wanting to draft Chucko when Travis Zajac was on the same team and was available until we traded down.

this is so sad. Pure incompetence.

This draft is D heavy but adding a top pair guy really helps us long term in a rebuild. Hanifin, Valimaki, and whoever we pick would make a really good top three. D take forever, 24 is a baby for D so they are good pieces to get early in a rebuild. Andersson should become a seviceable 4 until we find someone better.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Brandt Clarke strikes me as a swing for the fences type pick. Looks like he’s got crazy skill, but I’ve seen a clip where he gets beat and just gives up on the play

Reactions: Ace Rimmer and Dack

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I remembered that nice day... they traded down and missed zajac and others

Give them credit, they knew schremp was a bust and picked Chucko instead lmfao

I think Button was already a head scout back then

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
You absolutely need an elite #1D to win a cup. Hedman, Keith, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Chara, Pronger... none of these guys are a vanilla AF Noah Hanifin. They're guys who were scoring 55+ pts while logging 30+ minutes and shutting down stars at the other end.

Yeah, you need a #1C too. That comes next year

Look at the Panthers, probably the most dangerous cup contender out there

#1 Defenseman - Aaron Ekblad is probably having a Norris Caliber year. First overall.
#1 Center - Sasha Barkov is looking like a Selke version of prime Evgeni Malkin. Second overall.
#1 Winger - Jonathan Huberdeau is looking like a 6'2 version of prime Patrick Kane. Third overall.
#2 Center - Sam Bennett is fitting in like a glove. Fourth overall.

That's how you build a contender.

Here are the top-four overall picks on the Calgary Flames:
Wait, Panthers are the most dangerous cup contenders out there? Not, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Colorado, but the Panthers? The same Panthers, who had all of those pieces for multiple years and weren't successful until now? Who haven't won a playoff series in a long time?

Bennett just got there (they were winning well before him, he doesn't factor into any of their success this season other then 3 game) and that norris level d-man is down and out for the rest of the year.

You could make the exact same list for the Flames in 2018-19

#1 Defenseman - Mark Giordano is having a Norris Caliber year. Undrafted
#1 Centre - Sean Monahan is a top offensive centre above ppg and is on the best line in hockey. 6th overall
#1 winger - Johnny Gaudreau is looking like a 5'9 version of prime Patrick Kane out there. Hart candidate. 4th rounder.
#1 winger - Matthew Tkachuk is looking like a premier power forward in this league. 6th overall.
#2 Centre - Mikael Backlund is a selke candidate on a strong possession line. Late 1st rounder

The blueprint you have can be re-created without top 5 picks, surprisingly.

#1 defenseman - Victor Hedman is a perennial Norris Candidate. 2nd overall
#1 centre - Brayden Point is a 3rd rounder.
#1 winger - Kucherov was taken in the 2nd round.
#2 centre - Anthony Cirelli was taken in the 3rd round.

#1 defenseman - Jaccob Slavin is a premier shutdown defensemen. 4th rounder
#1 centre - Sebastian Aho. 2nd rounder
#1 winger - Teravainen. 18th overall. (Svechnikov is not the premier guy on their line when Teravainen is healthy)
#2 centre - Trochek. 3rd rounder.

It's incredibly convenient that the team you consider the most dangerous is the same one that; has Bennett, has the top 4 picks while other teams out there are more dangerous without those same picks. Would it not make sense to look to the most recent cup champion? Or the team ahead of Florida in the standings, that is also built off of good scouting and non-top 5 picks? You're right that there is a general group of successful pieces that you see on contending teams but it's very clear you cherry picked the relevant team to fit your argument that top picks are ncessary.

Reactions: User1996

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Wait, Panthers are the most dangerous cup contenders out there? Not, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Colorado, but the Panthers? The same Panthers, who had all of those pieces for multiple years and weren't successful until now? Who haven't won a playoff series in a long time?

Bennett just got there (they were winning well before him, he doesn't factor into any of their success this season other then 3 game) and that norris level d-man is down and out for the rest of the year.

You could make the exact same list for the Flames in 2018-19

#1 Defenseman - Mark Giordano is having a Norris Caliber year. Undrafted
#1 Centre - Sean Monahan is a top offensive centre above ppg and is on the best line in hockey. 6th overall
#1 winger - Johnny Gaudreau is looking like a 5'9 version of prime Patrick Kane out there. Hart candidate. 4th rounder.
#1 winger - Matthew Tkachuk is looking like a premier power forward in this league. 6th overall.
#2 Centre - Mikael Backlund is a selke candidate on a strong possession line. Late 1st rounder

The blueprint you have can be re-created without top 5 picks, surprisingly.

#1 defenseman - Victor Hedman is a perennial Norris Candidate. 2nd overall
#1 centre - Brayden Point is a 3rd rounder.
#1 winger - Kucherov was taken in the 2nd round.
#2 centre - Anthony Cirelli was taken in the 3rd round.

#1 defenseman - Jaccob Slavin is a premier shutdown defensemen. 4th rounder
#1 centre - Sebastian Aho. 2nd rounder
#1 winger - Teravainen. 18th overall. (Svechnikov is not the premier guy on their line when Teravainen is healthy)
#2 centre - Trochek. 3rd rounder.

It's incredibly convenient that the team you consider the most dangerous is the same one that; has Bennett, has the top 4 picks while other teams out there are more dangerous without those same picks. Would it not make sense to look to the most recent cup champion? Or the team ahead of Florida in the standings, that is also built off of good scouting and non-top 5 picks? You're right that there is a general group of successful pieces that you see on contending teams but it's very clear you cherry picked the relevant team to fit your argument that top picks are ncessary.
Your argument is invalid because Sam Bennett is #1 Hall of Famer, Gretzky is only second to the savior now that he's free

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Brandt Clarke strikes me as a swing for the fences type pick. Looks like he’s got crazy skill, but I’ve seen a clip where he gets beat and just gives up on the play
Skates like Dougie and has the same offensive instincts. Defends about as well though, the Flames would destroy his career before it got started.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I never expect the Flames to openly lose. But it is stupid at this point to do anything extra to win games. We aren’t making the playoffs. Domingue should get games and we should be playing the Kylington and Mackeys.

nah, it’s important to pad the stats to show we can still do it

besides Sutter already has an eye out for the next Chucko...Treliving will make several moves down so we can collect some more Jake Boltman also

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00