Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Flames aren't drafting that high anyways and even if they were, they haven't focused on size in round 1 in well over a decade. I suspect our pick will be in the 10-14 range.
Currently it would be in that range, but a few games against the Oilers, a typical showing against Ottawa, and a split of the games against Vancouver will have them back in the 5-8 range pretty comfortably, I'd think.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think there is a top 8 group, then it drops down a little.

As a Flames fan, we’re probably realistically looking at a 10-12th pick, so hoping for a faller.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Currently it would be in that range, but a few games against the Oilers, a typical showing against Ottawa, and a split of the games against Vancouver will have them back in the 5-8 range pretty comfortably, I'd think.
And the teams behind us are going to magically stop losing? I suspect we finish with a similar winning percentage to what we have now, which means taking 6-9 points in the final 8, for arguments sake, let's say 6, leaving us at 51 points.

I look at it like this...
  • Seattle will have a top 5 pick.
  • We simply aren't "catching" Buffalo, Anaheim, New Jersey or Columbus
  • Ottawa is also extremely unlikely, with the 51 point estimate, the Sens would need to win 11 of 14 remaining points, while 5 of 7 games are against playoff teams
Since I won't bank on a lottery win, that leaves us out of the top 6

Now a look at the other teams behind us...
  • Vancouver, 14 games left (in 22 days), Oilers x5, Flames x4, Leafs x2, Jets x2 and Ottawa x1. That is a tough sked made tougher by the very condensed schedule. My gut says they get 6-8 points in the 10 games not against the Flames. That would mean our 4 games would determine who picks higher. - let's put them in the same pick range as us
  • Los Angeles, 10 games left. Avalanche x4, Ducks x3, Coyotes x2, Blues x1. Their sked seems comparable to their last 10 where they took 8 points, they would need to get 10 points to beat the Flames 51. - let's put them in the same pick range as us
  • Detroit, 5 games left. Blue Jackets x2, Lightning x2, Hurricanes x1, they'd need to win 9 of 10 points. - They will pick ahead of us
  • San Jose, 8 games left. Avalanche x4, Coyotes x3, Knights x1. Sharks are sinking like a rock with 5 points in their last 10, and that was a weaker schedule then their last. They'd need 9 of 16 points, I just don't see it happening - They will pick ahead of us
So without factoring in the lotto, we have:

Picks 1-6: Anaheim, Buffalo, Columbus, New Jersey, Ottawa, Seattle
Picks 7-8: Detroit, San Jose
Picks 9-11 : Calgary, Los Angeles, Vancouver

So I really think 5-8 is very unlikely, but I will concede 9th is not unrealistic.

edit: removed the Coyotes, as I forgot they forfeit their 1st round pick this year.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
We are at our best with pressure free hockey, winning streak coming.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames can’t get out of their own way, and it’s been that way for decades.

Cant win properly, cant lose properly, cant wait to pick at 10 with a nice reach for Ceulemans that half this fan base will defend vehemently.

The only way this team can be relevant again is to sell hard, tank, get Wright. Or let’s just get used to misery as always.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
We're currently sitting at 11th in the league in points percentage. Nothing like sitting through an awful season just to pick outside the top 10 in the weakest draft in recent memory.

Feels like 2010-2012 all over again.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We're currently sitting at 11th in the league in points percentage. Nothing like sitting through an awful season just to pick outside the top 10 in the weakest draft in recent memory.

Feels like 2010-2012 all over again.
I trust our scouts to make the right decision

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I trust our scouts to make the right decision

Our scouts have done a pretty good job lately but I can't say I'm excited about the calibre of prospect that's in that range.

I find it hard to get excited about an awful season leading to drafting a goalie or a McTavish or something. I'm sure someone good will come out of that range but it just fills me with a resounding meh.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Our scouts have done a pretty good job lately but I can't say I'm excited about the calibre of prospect that's in that range.

I find it hard to get excited about an awful season leading to drafting a goalie or a McTavish or something. I'm sure someone good will come out of that range but it just fills me with a resounding meh.

I would hope Treliving uses the pick in a "weak" draft to try and bolster the offense, something he should have been doing this whole time. I think it's a lot easier to fill in holes/gaps in your lineup via free agency when it's for D, sometimes G, and bottom 6 for forwards. It's hard to find a bonafide top 6 player that plays great the whole way through their contract, and it's mainly because of age. I hope we at LEAST ask for Eichel, and then try to make a proposal that makes sense for Buffalo.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
McTavish, Lambos, Lysell, Cossa, Lucius is who we are looking at with a mid-first.

Lambos feels like this years Jacob Chychrun. Injury concerns but if he’s healthy he could be right there or better than the other D in this class. Seems like he’d fit like a glove with Sutter, a beast of an athlete with hockey sense and hands. He would be my mid first pick. Him or Lucius

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I would hope Treliving uses the pick in a "weak" draft to try and bolster the offense, something he should have been doing this whole time. I think it's a lot easier to fill in holes/gaps in your lineup via free agency when it's for D, sometimes G, and bottom 6 for forwards. It's hard to find a bonafide top 6 player that plays great the whole way through their contract, and it's mainly because of age. I hope we at LEAST ask for Eichel, and then try to make a proposal that makes sense for Buffalo.

Yeah I'd take a swing at Eichel. I don't think Buffalo would trade him after him missing the season but it's worth a try.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Yeah I'd take a swing at Eichel. I don't think Buffalo would trade him after him missing the season but it's worth a try.

Buffalo allegedly wanted both Kakko and Laf PLUS a 1st rounder, Flames have 0 hope of landing Eichel, like there's literally no package we could throw together that Buffalo would take, nothing.

With that said, for the purpose of the draft tank tonight was a perfect night. LA and Arizona won which puts LA closer to passing us and 'Zona gets 2 points ahead, while Montreal is now 6 points ahead.

In terms of making the playoffs, Montreal now has no games in hand so both teams have played 49 games and Montreal is 6 points ahead. So to make the playoffs the Flames have to gain 7 points on Montreal to pass them (6 would tie and they have more ROW currently, we could pass them by gaining 6 points on them if we get more ROW and their points come from shoot out wins/loser points).

Say the Flames go 5-2, gives us 10 points. Montreal at worst to make it in over us has to go 2-4-1. Flames go 4-3, Montreal just needs 1 single win and a loser point in 7 games. I don't see us sweeping Vancouver and we play Ottawa once more and McDavid went pointless against us, I don't see us winning 4 games let alone 5.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Flames can’t get out of their own way, and it’s been that way for decades.

Cant win properly, cant lose properly, cant wait to pick at 10 with a nice reach for Ceulemans that half this fan base will defend vehemently.

The only way this team can be relevant again is to sell hard, tank, get Wright. Or let’s just get used to misery as always.

#Wrighttheship?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
McTavish, Lambos, Lysell, Cossa, Lucius is who we are looking at with a mid-first.

Lambos feels like this years Jacob Chychrun. Injury concerns but if he’s healthy he could be right there or better than the other D in this class. Seems like he’d fit like a glove with Sutter, a beast of an athlete with hockey sense and hands. He would be my mid first pick. Him or Lucius

If we’re not picking top 5, I’m fine to go with a dman like Lambos. This draft is pretty decent for dmen, next season is a better draft anyways and I would rather sell more pieces next draft and load up then on forwards. Let Pelletier and Zary come in and surround them with some high end talent over the next few drafts.

Hanifin, Rasmus, Valimaki and Lambos would be a pretty good top 4.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The more I read and see about Fabian Lysell, the more convinced I am that he should be the Flames target.

I'm starting to think the same. I usually value production over anything else but Lysell's talent is undeniable. I'm also not sure if I'm sold on a lot of the other guys consistently ranked around there.

Also Sean Behrens is the next Sam Girard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm starting to think the same. I usually value production over anything else but Lysell's talent is undeniable. I'm also not sure if I'm sold on a lot of the other guys consistently ranked around there.

Skilled Euro?
Gimme that good 'ol North American boy action instead.

Points for if skating is a major concern.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
#Wrighttheship?

614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So total opposite then, because he's arguably one of the best skaters in the first round. And might be the smallest.

That's a pass on my end.
Things like skating, acceleration, skill, smarts can all be taught.

You can't teach 6'3'' skating statues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->