Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I'm starting to think the same. I usually value production over anything else but Lysell's talent is undeniable. I'm also not sure if I'm sold on a lot of the other guys consistently ranked around there.

Also Sean Behrens is the next Sam Girard.
Yep, Behrens is going to be a good one. Listed size is a concern, but I’m not convinced he’s actually only 5’8” - USA posted a photo of him and the other two captains side by side who are both 5’11” and he looked maybe an inch shorter. Plus, smaller players have a spot more than ever, he’d be a good bet on skill in the 2nd

Reactions: Dack

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
With only 5 games remaining, 1 against Ottawa on Sunday and then a 4 game series against Vancouver the Flames are 99% mathematically eliminated from the playoffs so we might as well get this thread going.

Current draft position is 9th overall after factoring in pre-lottery and with Seattle inserted in as well.

In theory we could end up going into the lottery at #4 if we go 0-5 and the teams below us all win at least 1 game each, I don't see that happening, but theresachange.gif.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I figured there was a thread, couldn't find it.

With the rescheduled games, I think by the time we play Vancouver once the rest of the league is done.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Now that we're officially eliminated our pick will be between 7 and 12 pre-lottery, can't get better and can't get worse than that range. Most likely drafting 11th, 3 spots out of the "big 8" as some have suggested. With a crapshoot of a year though the draft will be a clusterf*** regarding mock drafts and where people think people will get drafted so maybe we end up getting one of the top flight guys (lol we won't).

Can't remember if the lottery is for the top 2 or 3 spots this year, all I know is that this year doesn't count to the 2 in 5 rule. Can't remember if they changed this lottery for the other 2 rules of "maximum 10 spots can be moved up" and "2 spot lottery instead of 3".

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Now that we're officially eliminated our pick will be between 7 and 12 pre-lottery, can't get better and can't get worse than that range. Most likely drafting 11th, 3 spots out of the "big 8" as some have suggested. With a crapshoot of a year though the draft will be a clusterf*** regarding mock drafts and where people think people will get drafted so maybe we end up getting one of the top flight guys (lol we won't).

Can't remember if the lottery is for the top 2 or 3 spots this year, all I know is that this year doesn't count to the 2 in 5 rule. Can't remember if they changed this lottery for the other 2 rules of "maximum 10 spots can be moved up" and "2 spot lottery instead of 3".
12th overall isn't that bad. Hopefully we go like 1-3 or 2-2 and wind up top 10 (let's be honest it's more likely we win all 4 games than lose all 4).

Reactions: AyyLmao

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
12th overall isn't that bad. Hopefully we go like 1-3 or 2-2 and wind up top 10 (let's be honest it's more likely we win all 4 games than lose all 4).
I feel like Domingue will start 2-3 of the remaining games, maybe even Zag gets a look in one.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

The articles state that its a top 2 pick only with the 10 spot max but the sims i have tried don;t have the 10 spot one set yet.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The articles state that its a top 2 pick only with the 10 spot max but the sims i have tried don;t have the 10 spot one set yet.
I take it back. Capfriendly's mockdraft has it set. I just tried and the Hawks won the lottery but only moved up to 3rd pick.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think the U18s might have made that group of 8 into 10. Ceulemans and McTavish were really good. Hello 11th overall.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
At least 1 team always goes full Pejorative Slur and draft someone completely out of left field. There will be at least 1 upper player available for the Flames pick, to be drafted by Buffalo. :sarcasm:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I still have a feeling we trade down

Unless we're picking top 8, I think the likelihood is strong. The Flames typically follow their own rankings strongly and I could see them wanting to pick up as many assets as possible. I also firmly believe they feel they are many hidden gems in this draft due to a lack of scouting.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Unless we're picking top 8, I think the likelihood is strong. The Flames typically follow their own rankings strongly and I could see them wanting to pick up as many assets as possible. I also firmly believe they feel they are many hidden gems in this draft due to a lack of scouting.
Every team would follow their own rankings strongly. Fans make the mistake of thinking there is more consensus to rankings than there actually is.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think it depends on how the Flames see teirs of players. They were linked to Barron and Zary so it’s no wonder they traded down a few times. If there is 4 or 5 players you still like but don’t love what is still left, trading down isn’t a bad idea. I think there are sone interesting options around that area for sure McTavish, Ceulemans, Lucius, Sillinger and Pinelli all seem like pretty solid picks. Othmann would be my dark horse pick. Lysell is probably up there somewhere too.

yep it’s official, we are in no mans land.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I think it depends on how the Flames see teirs of players.
This is exactly it. Trading down shouldn't be automatically be seen as a negative. When your pick comes up and you have 5 guys at the top of your list all rated basically the same, it's not a bad thing to trade down 3-4 spots. Sure sometimes it doesn't work out, but that's just something that's going to happen sometimes because as we have also seen, trading up doesn't always work either.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think it depends on how the Flames see teirs of players. They were linked to Barron and Zary so it’s no wonder they traded down a few times. If there is 4 or 5 players you still like but don’t love what is still left, trading down isn’t a bad idea. I think there are sone interesting options around that area for sure McTavish, Ceulemans, Lucius, Sillinger and Pinelli all seem like pretty solid picks. Othmann would be my dark horse pick. Lysell is probably up there somewhere too.

yep it’s official, we are in no mans land.

Olausson is another guy I could see going higher than projected.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Craig Button released his draft rankings the other day. In the Treliving draft era (2015-present) we've routinely picked guys Craig was high on. Below are the guys we've drafted (and some we've acquired) that Craig had ranked on his list of ~100 players or so. Craig's rank is in brackets their draft position isn't.

2015:

Noah Hanifin (12) 5
Rasmus Andersson (31) 53
Oliver Kylington (47) 60
Andrew Mangiapane (43) 166
Glen Gawdin (96th in January) Signed as a UFA

2016:
Matthew Tkachuk (5) 6
Tyler Parsons (39) 54
Dillon Dube (28) 56
Adam Fox (38) 66
Linus Lindstrom (89) 96
Mitchell Mattson (37) 126
Matthew Phillips (33) 166

It gets easier from here on out because in the next 3 years we pick 3 times in the first 3 rounds lmfao.

2017:
Juuso Valimaki (17) 16
Adam Ruzicka (69) 109

2018:
Milos Roman (91) 122
Dmitry Zavgorodniy (89) 198

2019:
Jakob Pelletier (33) 26
Ilya Nikolayev (19) 88

2020: Return of not trading all your early picks for rentals.
Connor Zary (11) 24
Yan Kuznetsov (32) 50
Jeremie Porier (21) 72

Obviously the lists aren't one to one. We have other scouts who have their own opinions but I still find it interesting. So here's Craig's 2021 list: Craig’s List: Defencemen dominate top of NHL draft prospect rankings - TSN.ca

Usually I'm wrong in picking who we like based on Craig's opinion (I was sure we were taking Poehling in 2017) but one name to keep an eye on is a certain QMJHLer who's listed as a C but is really a LHS LW. He plays dirty and Craig likes him more than any other scout I've seen.

Last edited:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Craig Button released his draft rankings the other day. In the Treliving draft era (2015-present) we've routinely picked guys Craig was high on. Below are the guys we've drafted (and some we've acquired) that Craig had ranked on his list of ~100 players or so. Craig's rank is in brackets their draft position isn't.

2015:

Noah Hanifin (12) 5
Rasmus Andersson (31) 53
Oliver Kylington (47) 60
Andrew Mangiapane (43) 166
Glen Gawdin (96th in January) Signed as a UFA

2016:
Matthew Tkachuk (5) 6
Tyler Parsons (39) 54
Dillon Dube (28) 56
Adam Fox (38) 66
Linus Lindstrom (89) 96
Mitchell Mattson (37) 126
Matthew Phillips (33) 166

It gets easier from here on out because in the next 3 years we pick 3 times in the first 3 rounds lmfao.

2017:
Juuso Valimaki (17) 16
Adam Ruzicka (69) 109

2018:
Milos Roman (91) 122
Dmitry Zavgorodniy (89) 198

2019:
Jakob Pelletier (33) 26
Ilya Nikolayev (19) 88

2020: Return of not trading all your early picks for rentals.
Connor Zary (11) 24
Yan Kuznetsov (32) 50
Jeremie Porier (21) 72

Obviously the lists aren't one to one. We have other scouts who have their own opinions but I still find it interesting. So here's Craig's 2021 list: Craig’s List: Defencemen dominate top of NHL draft prospect rankings - TSN.ca

Usually I'm wrong in picking who we like based on Craig's opinion (I was sure we were taking Poehling in 2017) but one name to keep an eye on is a certain QMJHLer who's listed as a C but is really a LHS LW. He plays dirty and Craig likes him more than any other scout I've seen.

Nice post, clearly the Button brothers have similar opinions. I'll definitely be looking back at Button's list when our picks are due up.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Raty is barely a first rounder on Button's list. If McTavish and Johnson are available with our pick, I think we'll be happy

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Kent Johnson seems like a decent sleeper pick that could fall out of the top 10. Wouldn't mind him at all.

My ultimate dream is Dylan Guenther, but I don't think that's even remotely a possibility. :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kent Johnson seems like a decent sleeper pick that could fall out of the top 10. Wouldn't mind him at all.

My ultimate dream is Dylan Guenther, but I don't think that's even remotely a possibility. :laugh:

The way we’re going, he’ll be drafted a dozen picks before we hit the podium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->