Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Beniers and Zary I think would be a pretty good top 2 center duo.............maybe Ryan O'Reilly and Logan Couture types

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
The group of 10 up top would be alright with me depending on where we finish. Obviously winning the lottery to get near the higher end of them would be nice. Beniers, Power, Eklund, Edvinsson, Clarke, Hughes, Johnson, Guenther, Wallstedt, Lysell are all realistic options at this point.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Assuming we finish and pick in the dreaded 8th-14th range, I would love to snag Aatu Raty. Chaz Lucius is another guy that might be a good target.
Really? I'm not going to pretend I've seen him play but after 2 seasons of regression and a significantly worse draft season in Liiga than Rasmus Kupari (who went 20th in 2018) I can't say I'm super interested in him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Fire the scouting staff, buy a copy of the Hockey News and use their rankings.

everytime the team tried to reach they came up with a bust anyway. Remember Mark Jankowski?

the fans are more happy too, they buy what they read...

Reactions: Boomstick

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Really? I'm not going to pretend I've seen him play but after 2 seasons of regression and a significantly worse draft season in Liiga than Rasmus Kupari (who went 20th in 2018) I can't say I'm super interested in him.
My understanding is he is getting pretty minimal usage and minutes, but I’ve not seen him play recently either.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Assuming we finish and pick in the dreaded 8th-14th range, I would love to snag Aatu Raty. Chaz Lucius is another guy that might be a good target.
absolutely...I have not seen any of them play, read any scouting reports or anything but they both have cool hockey names. Especially Raty. I think Tkachuk should change his name to AaOne Raty...

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I want Chaz Lucius for the meme potential.

DlX7X9TWwAAL-fM.jpg

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Beniers and Zary I think would be a pretty good top 2 center duo.............maybe Ryan O'Reilly and Logan Couture types

I remember thinking the same thing about Monahan and Bennett...that they'd be Toews and Kesler types. I don't buy potential anymore, just gimme a f***ing superstar.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
This draft is fine. It just hasn’t had the chance to go through the hype machine which is why it’s perceived to be worse.

It's also hard to hype the draft when half these guys aren't playing.

This draft also doesn't have the Wright/Lambert/Bedard/Michkov prospect.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Personally hoping for one of Guenther, Eklund, or Johnsson if we continue our current trajectory, but Beniers would be my 4th option.

Also if we are going to be bad I hope this isn’t a one off because the next two drafts afterwards are full of insane talent after this underwhelming one.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I disagree. This is a weak draft even without the pandemic IMO (most of the scouts I follow view it this way). It doesn't have a clear cut first overall talent. I think most of the top tier players are in the 4th overall-6th overall quality picks.

Matthew Beniers seems like an awesome player but I don't think he'd be in contention for first overall at the time of the draft in any of the last 10ish drafts except maybe 2017.
I've seen Clarke, Power, Eklund, Hughes, Wallstadt, Beniers and Guenther all ranked 1st overall at one point. I don't think any of those guys go top 3 in last years draft. I saw some scouting guys say that they wouldn't have anyone from this years draft in the top (insert number here) of last year's draft.

That said; there are good players in every draft and I'd much rather have a high pick than a low pick. Hitting on what should be a high pick this year would be huge for turning the Flames around.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Fire the scouting staff, buy a copy of the Hockey News and use their rankings.

everytime the team tried to reach they came up with a bust anyway. Remember Mark Jankowski?

the fans are more happy too, they buy what they read...
That was 9 drafts ago...
From 2015 on we are on a streak of 6 drafts without a legitimate bad pick. The closest arguments are guys in like the 3rd or 4th round but you can’t blame anyone for not hitting on those picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad