Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Pronman might also be the worst prospect analyst in the game. And that's saying a lot.
Mckenzie's rankings had him 3rd before the WHL season even started. I doubt he's fallen down the list with his play so far.

"Dylan Guenther: The 6-foot Edmonton Oil King scored 29 goals as a WHL rookie last season and earned a reputation as a versatile goal-scoring/playmaking forward. Two of our 10 scouts ranked him No. 1 and two more had him at No. 2, but not playing full time yet this season in the WHL may, anecdotally speaking, start chipping away at his status. He did play a handful of games in the Alberta Junior League for Sherwood Park. His projection is as a top-six NHL forward."

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Mckenzie's rankings had him 3rd before the WHL season even started. I doubt he's fallen down the list with his play so far.

"Dylan Guenther: The 6-foot Edmonton Oil King scored 29 goals as a WHL rookie last season and earned a reputation as a versatile goal-scoring/playmaking forward. Two of our 10 scouts ranked him No. 1 and two more had him at No. 2, but not playing full time yet this season in the WHL may, anecdotally speaking, start chipping away at his status. He did play a handful of games in the Alberta Junior League for Sherwood Park. His projection is as a top-six NHL forward."

It's not that he's not a great prospect. Guys that could potentially go GPG in the Dub aren't bad prospects.
The problem is it'd be Calgary thing to try and plug a hole instead of the holistic approach.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
At this point a goal scorer is just as big of a need as a centre, and Guenther is arguably the best goal scorer in the draft. It’s just the cherry on top that he’s a RHS with some jam in his game as well. With Johnson and Elkins both having questions about if they’ll be able to be a centre in the NHL anyways, I wouldn’t mind taking Guenther over those two.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Bob McKenzie mid term rankings released. Looks like we are in the Lucius, McTavish and Lysell tier right now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Two of the top three prospects are defensemen?

Flames gonna win the draft lotto for sure.

Id take it.
Power at 1 would be perfectly fine for me.

Gives us a franchise Dman and gives us the ability to move one of the other guys back there for help down the middle on a blockbuster

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We're kidding ourselves if we think that a high first rounder will mean anything for this organization. Especially in this crapshoot draft

Unless a franchise talent falls into our laps, we're going to find a way to ruin him by either giving him the license to do whatever he wants with no repercussions (Monahan, Tkachuk) or by pigeon-holing him into a role he's not cut out for because he couldn't make replacement level garbage look good (Bennett, probably Valimaki).

This org's bread and butter comes through developing later round longshots that breakout in their mid 20s but they have no idea how to effectively teach young, NHL-ready talent that is still a little raw

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Id take it.
Power at 1 would be perfectly fine for me.

Gives us a franchise Dman and gives us the ability to move one of the other guys back there for help down the middle on a blockbuster
Ah yes, I have fond memories of all the times that <defenseman> led his team to a Stanley Cup.

None of the pieces on the Flames' back end are valuable enough to be turned into "help down the middle". Hanifin + Monahan/Lindholm isn't turning into Jack Eichel, or other age appropriate "top centre".

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ah yes, I have fond memories of all the times that <defenseman> led his team to a Stanley Cup.

None of the pieces on the Flames' back end are valuable enough to be turned into "help down the middle". Hanifin + Monahan/Lindholm isn't turning into Jack Eichel, or other age appropriate "top centre".

No, but you need one.
Where is the Blues cup without Pieterangelo or Parayko.
Where are the Pens cups without Letang.
Where are the Hawks cups without Keith and Seabrook.
Where’s Tampa without Hedman.

In reality, the 1D and the 1C are equivalent requirements in a cup win truth be told.

I disagree. Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson could all be parts of a package that would land something significant. Under 25D that are controlled for more years and are either already top 4 guys or on the cusp of it are always ridiculously valuable at the end.

That also being said, could Calgary do the unimaginable and move a top 1-2 pick as the centrepiece in a Eichel trade?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Cole Sillinger seems like a sneaky good pick up in the 10-14 range if that's where we end up drafting. Yes, I know this board won't be in love with him because some question his skating ability, and he's likely a winger at the NHL level but his production is high end.

He actually outproduced Guenther last year in both the WHL (pts/g basis), and U17 tournament. This season he is torching the USHL on a team with very little to no support. His pedigree certainly doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So me and Bobby Mac had the same top 8. I also like that Lucius kid. We are gonna pick 10th I know it haha

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

You absolutely need an elite #1D to win a cup. Hedman, Keith, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Chara, Pronger... none of these guys are a vanilla AF Noah Hanifin. They're guys who were scoring 55+ pts while logging 30+ minutes and shutting down stars at the other end.

Yeah, you need a #1C too. That comes next year

Look at the Panthers, probably the most dangerous cup contender out there

#1 Defenseman - Aaron Ekblad is probably having a Norris Caliber year. First overall.
#1 Center - Sasha Barkov is looking like a Selke version of prime Evgeni Malkin. Second overall.
#1 Winger - Jonathan Huberdeau is looking like a 6'2 version of prime Patrick Kane. Third overall.
#2 Center - Sam Bennett is fitting in like a glove. Fourth overall.

That's how you build a contender.

Here are the top-four overall picks on the Calgary Flames:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames going to win the lotto and get 1st overall. That prospect will bust and then the next two seasons will finish last place but lose the lotto and get the second and third picks who will then bust. That is how it will go haha.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Flames going to win the lotto and get 1st overall. That prospect will bust and then the next two seasons will finish last place but lose the lotto and get the second and third picks who will then bust. That is how it will go haha.

The top 8 guys in this draft will be impact NHLers. Power will be a monster.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You absolutely need an elite #1D to win a cup. Hedman, Keith, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Chara, Pronger... none of these guys are a vanilla AF Noah Hanifin. They're guys who were scoring 55+ pts while logging 30+ minutes and shutting down stars at the other end.

Yeah, you need a #1C too. That comes next year

Look at the Panthers, probably the most dangerous cup contender out there

#1 Defenseman - Aaron Ekblad is probably having a Norris Caliber year. First overall.
#1 Center - Sasha Barkov is looking like a Selke version of prime Evgeni Malkin. Second overall.
#1 Winger - Jonathan Huberdeau is looking like a 6'2 version of prime Patrick Kane. Third overall.
#2 Center - Sam Bennett is fitting in like a glove. Fourth overall.

That's how you build a contender.

Here are the top-four overall picks on the Calgary Flames:

Not to be a stick in the mud, but in the championship seasons of those franchises you mentioned only half of those guys were having those massive 55+ point years. The rest of them were consistently hitting 40 points, but, providing elite level defensive use while still helping out on the scoresheet.

In Calgary this year, the highest scoring D would be Mark Giordano... giving about 40-42 points in a regular 82 game season... but also being an absolute liability defensively for the majority of the season. You see glimpses of Hanifin, but clearly a 25-30 point season isn't what you'd consider 1D production, unless you're aiming for a prime MEV type player, and Hanifin while he has dramatically improved his defensive prowess... is not that.

Calgary has that next step. Like, they have the guys where if you had the big pieces it'd be a scary thing.

Like, imagine having Lindholm... AFTER a top 10 centre plays.
Imagine having Hanifin... AFTER a top 10 defenseman plays.
Imagine having Tkachuk OR Gaudreau on seperate lines and able to produce.
Imagine having Monahan or Backlund lined up as your 3C, and not being concerned about 'is this line going to give me a goal this game, so I have a chance to win.'

Flames are a bottom 7 team in Point %, but aren't in the bottom 10 for goal differences.... also factoring in us having been blown out about a million times... you see that this team, especially under Sutter, has been losing games by 1 goal (then empty netters) for the most part. Imagine having a Dman that could prevent a goal every two games from being on the ice... then imagine having a centre that is worth at least a point every night.

You could see how this team could actually be really good. The only problem is... those players don't fall in your lap. Calgary will have to embrace a tank here pretty bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad