Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
why have we taken so many LWs this draft WTF. RD and RW are a way bigger organizational need

Save this post. For the 2022 draft...
Ctrl-c
Ctrl-v

I really think the Flames scouting only sits on the left side of the rink. So they see LW / LD twice as much.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I checked the Flames actually have more right shot skaters in the system than I thought they would
Tuulola
Phillips
Zavgorodniy
Nodler
Boltmann
Francis
Coronato

Gawdin
Kinnvall
Yelesin (is he still here?)
Philp

So quantity wise, the Flames are doing okay.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Save this post. For the 2022 draft...
Ctrl-c
Ctrl-v

I really think the Flames scouting only sits on the left side of the rink. So they see LW / LD twice as much.
yeah SERIOUSLY.
i was mistaken in that Beck is a LHS but is a RW. i’m just surprised we didn’t take a single RD in the draft. all we have in the system is like kinvall and boltmann at RD... nothing to be stoked about lol

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

And from what we all are hearing, Edmonton soon won't even have Neal. (not that that's a great loss... but still)
Just a $2,666,667 bill for the next two years and the two years after that its $1,916,667 each year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Patrick Bacon is a data scientist who developed a model ranking each team's draft picks over the weekend. He has us in 4th out of the entire league
Matthew Coronato nearly cracked a goal per game in the USHL’s regular season, scoring 48 in 51 games, and then eclipsed that mark in the playoffs with 9 goals in 8 games. Players who score like Coronato did have historically turned out very well, and it’s not hard to see why a statistical model gives so much credit to Calgary for putting aside size concerns and going with tangible production.
Aside from Coronato, Calgary also made a few nice value bets in Cole Huckins and Cameron Whynot. It is a bit strange that Huckins, a young, 6'3 forward who scored just under a point per game in the QMJHL, dropped all the way to the 3rd round.
I know we won't know the true outcome of this draft until about 2027 but I think we're a phenomenal drafting team under Treliving and it's why I hate seeing us toss away midround picks for "established" depth players who do the rounds here for a few months to a year and leave in free agency.
0*3_lX1KJAMyjo4IP1

For those who wish to read further:
Quantitative 2021 NHL Entry Draft Performance Rankings

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I know we won't know the true outcome of this draft until about 2027 but I think we're a phenomenal drafting team under Treliving and it's why I hate seeing us toss away midround picks for "established" depth players who do the rounds here for a few months to a year and leave in free agency.

Agreed. The Flames have thrown away so many 2nd-4th rounders on unnecessary garbage. Can you imagine how stacked our prospect pool could be if we didn't trade for Hamonic, Lazar, Gustafsson, Forbort, etc. Every draft pick won't make the NHL, but the Flames have been very good with rounds 2-4 the past 6 years. Those deals alone gives us 3 more 2nds, a 1st, a 3rd and 4th. Shame

Then because we never learn, throw away another 4th round pick for a bottom 6 player in Pitlick. What. A. Waste.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I for one like the Huckins pick. Seems to fit our profile of guys like Mangiapane, Andersson, Fox, Pelletier in guys that need to work on skating but bring a lot of other things to the table.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Patrick Bacon is a data scientist who developed a model ranking each team's draft picks over the weekend. He has us in 4th out of the entire league

I've talked about these guys before, but I'll just say it again.

Their top picks projections are all over the place; they'll have guys like Grigorenko as the best available player at a draft kind of thing; but their draft depth data is actually quite good. Not sure why most teams don't look at that type of information and then make judgement calls; I'd rather take guys dominating the league they're in at 17/18 that are 5'10'' than a 19/20 year old over-ager who's finally putting up some points but who's also 6'6''.

Not a bad haul. If Calgary gets a couple top 6 players from this draft, it'll go a long way for when Eichel hands the cup off to Johnny.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad