Prospect Info: 2021 Draft Thread

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’m not convinced the first round will be a massive crap shoot. Especially closer to the top. These guys are playing -scouts will have eyes on them.

Maybe in later rounds where OHL guys aren’t good enough to go over Europe to play, but I think the OHL is the only league not playing where players traditionally come from, and the high end players there went to Europe.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not convinced the first round will be a massive crap shoot. Especially closer to the top. These guys are playing -scouts will have eyes on them.

Maybe in later rounds where OHL guys aren’t good enough to go over Europe to play, but I think the OHL is the only league not playing where players traditionally come from, and the high end players there went to Europe.

Somebody is going to draft an Angelo Esposito. The guy that was a franchise at 16th but exposed during his draft year

I heard Treliving said the scouts are watching old videos lol

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Somebody is going to draft an Angelo Esposito. The guy that was a franchise at 16th but exposed during his draft year

I heard Treliving said the scouts are watching old videos lol
Someone drafts an Esposito every year.

I’d be shocked if the scouts were watching old videos for any of the top 10 guys who have all played like 25+ games this year. Later round players who haven’t played much if at all this year (like mid-late round OHL guys), sure.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
nope for me there is a clear 8 high end players. 9 with the goalie. It would be a terrible idea to trade down other than if we are stuck with the goalie at 9.

Honestly as an advocate of not taking a goalie in the first round I think you just take Wallstadt at that point. Both analytic and traditional scouts are very high on him and some consider him to be the best player in the draft. I'm usually all for trading down but with where we're at as an organization I think we need to take the best shot at elite talent we can get. Plus I said last year that if Askarov fell and he was clearly the BPA we should take him. I think Wallstadt is probably the BPA at 9 by a fairly big gap.

I'd consider a trade down from like 5th to 7th or something like that to get an extra 2nd if we have a bunch of guys ranked dead even. Though if we do fall out of that range I hear good things about Chaz Lucius.

On second thought IDK Goalies are so inconsistent that taking him could be a giant risk.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Who is in your group of 9?

Clarke-RS Offensive D.

Guenther-RW with jam

Power-LD. Offensively skilled big skating D. I think it would be hard to pass on his potential..

Beniers-Two way C.

Evidsson-Hanifin type rangy D

Eklund-Two way C

L. Hughes-Offensive D.

Johnson-LW might be the most skilled offensive player in the draft

Wallstedt-G

to me those are all blue-chip prospects that you take if you have the chance. The top 4 I listed I especially like for the Flames. You absolutely don’t trade down in the meh tier which usually starts around 10 in most drafts. The Swedes give me reason to be apprehensive because Swedish stats/leagues are hard to compare. However, I find Swedes are very rarely over-hyped at the top of the draft. If anything I think they are often undervalued cause they almost always pan out at the top of the draft.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sam Cosentino, to me, is the best prospect evaluator in the game.
He had a 960 spot where he really pumped some of the top guys up... I don't think Calgary could go wrong here winning a top 2 spot.

He’s one of my favourites as well. Honestly I do enjoy reading BobbyMac, even Button and Pronman. Button and Pronman get lots of flack at times, but no one can ever predict a draft 100% and I like reading as many different takes as I can get. It gives you different perspective and insight.

As a scout though, Cosentino is hands down among the best.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Barring a miracle push and bad lottery luck, Flames should be in the top 8 in this draft. So we should be coming out of the draft with a good player.

I agree that this is not the year to trade down. Trading down for Zary is one thing, your pick was at 19 and you were out of that top echelon of players.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We should swing for the fences with our pick. Take the high skilled player with upside please. If we go off the board and pick some scrub because of Sutter, I'm out.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
go figure that the player that intrigues me the most is the dynamic LW/C in Johnson who is a team mate of the top rated 2 way center.
Is Johnson a product of Beniers or is Beniers offensive production a product of Johnson...

neither, both are really good. It’s very rare for draft eligible players to go PPG in the NCAA. Look at guys like Holloway or Tkachuk. The only dominant draft eligible NCAA player I can remember is Jack Eichel, he’s pretty good

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
ugh 20 simulations and not one win for the Flames and in fact in most i got us dropping 2 spots...

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really want Beniers.

Mom can we get Beniers?

No we have Beniers at home.

Beniers at home:
14KrR9LP_400x400.jpeg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sad Bennett noises

Often is another key part of it :laugh:

In the past 30 years:
Calgary has selected a centre 4 times in the top 10 of a draft.
Corey Stillman in 1992
Dan Tkaczuk in 1997
Sean Monahan in 2013
Sam Bennett in 2014

Want to know how f***ed up our centre luck is in the modern NHL? Since 2009 this is the next man up, in terms of general rankings that were avaialable:

2009:
Flames: Tim Erixon
Consensus next centre on the board: ROR

2011:
Flames: Sven Bartschi
Consensus next centre on the board: JT Miller

2012:
Flames: Trade down to pick Mark Jankowski
Consensus next centre on the board: Teuvo Taraveinen (who converted to wing at the NHL)

2015:
Flames: Trade pick for Dougie Hamilton
Consensus next centre on the board: Matt Barzal

The rest is still early, for me, like 2017 onwards.

But yes. Proof is in the puddin'
Take centres. Take lots and lots and lots of centres. Especially when they're bunched in together. Like in 2016, there was a drop after Matt Tkachuk which was really apparent, in that case, take the guy in the first grouping.

Reactions: DCDM

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I like him and Beniers a lot.
I’ll beat this drum. Unless they get 1st overall, in which you take Power, get one of these centres.

You will never regret taking centre’s early and often. It’d be the most Flames thing to do to reach for Guenther with pick 2 lol.

Full disclosure I haven't watched Guenther play yet (but I intend to with how the Flames are playing) but both Eklund and Johnson have real questions about whether they'll be centers at the NHL level. I don't think I'd take him over Beniers but a RHS putting up 2 points per game in the WHL while being a spring birthday sounds like a great pick.

I know Pronman had Guenther as his #1 guy the last time he updated his rankings.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Full disclosure I haven't watched Guenther play yet (but I intend to with how the Flames are playing) but both Eklund and Johnson have real questions about whether they'll be centers at the NHL level. I don't think I'd take him over Beniers but a RHS putting up 2 points per game in the WHL while being a spring birthday sounds like a great pick.

I know Pronman had Guenther as his #1 guy the last time he updated his rankings.

Pronman might also be the worst prospect analyst in the game. And that's saying a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad