Prospect Info: 2021 Draft - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
This is a fair concern re #1 centre but Vegas don't have that bonafide guy and will likely win the president's trophy. Carolina drafted their no 1 centre 35th overall and are second in the league. I'm feeling pretty damn good about the young guys we have on roster and in the system and we're going to add another solid piece this draft ~10th overall.

I agree with you; it does happen. Boston with Bergeron and Caps with Backstrom/Kuz too.

I think we CAN be a legit contender without a true 1st overall talent for sure. However either one of Wright/Bedard would have set this club into the next stratosphere in terms of club competition, and we'll be too good by then!

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Who will definitely be gone by our pick?

Powers & Beniers are the two obvious ones. Guenther & Edvinsson are near locks, but stranger things have happened.

What do you guys think?

To me the Top 4 of McKenzie's final rankings will be off the board assuming we pick 9/10th overall. Its been a while since we've seen a Forsberg/Fowler type drop from his rankings from the highly ranked guys. Will be interesting to see his final rankings post U18s. Clarke and McTavish have definitely gone up and had better showings than Guenther too.

I think those 4 guys you mentioned will be off the board. I also think Clarke and McTavish will too. I think we'll get one of Johnson, Eklund, Lucius or Lysell. I also think we'd pass on Hughes if available.

Reactions: Cosmix

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I posted this in another thread and I remain conflicted. I'm glad we're seeing our boys have a lot of success recently. To me, despite this draft being really unknown, it does seem like you're going to get a great player in the top 8. Maybe not any superstars, but at least a really good NHLer. As it stands, we will likely pick 9th, unless Vancouver somehow passes us.

I can't help but feel we're going to miss out on our franchise altering star center in the next two drafts. I suspect next year we'll either barely make the playoffs or just miss it. I would guess the following year we'll be in a similar scenario unless we get crazy development from some of our guys.

Can we win a cup with Chabot, Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson as the main guys? I still see a glaring need for a #1 C as I see Stutzle as a winger. You generally draft #1 C's.
Norris could develop into one, but Stutzle might get there too.

We're looking to have both a great top 6 F and a great top 4 D, which is what's needed to be a contender

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I agree with you; it does happen. Boston with Bergeron and Caps with Backstrom/Kuz too.

I think we CAN be a legit contender without a true 1st overall talent for sure. However either one of Wright/Bedard would have set this club into the next stratosphere in terms of club competition, and we'll be too good by then!
nvm

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Bergeron was elite. His play has fallen off, although he is still a very good player, but definitely no longer elite.
Sure but he was elite during their win and for many many years around that

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
According to TSN , we are in 9th place (standings basis versus point percentage).

LA Kings are one point behind us, but have 2 games in hand. Vancouver are 6 points behind us, but have 6 games in hand. San Jose Sharks are neck and neck with us (have 49 points as well), and have played the same amount of games.

So, I guess best case in terms of draft selection would be 6th overall, and a lot would need to occur for that to happen. So, 7 - 9th pick is probably the most realistic & optimistic range we will get.

If you use Bobby MacK list, here are some of the options (focused mostly on Centers and Defenders) around where we will pick:
  • B Clarke, D - 6th
  • Eklund, LW - 7th
  • Kent Johnson, C - 8th
  • Lucius, C - 9th
  • McTavish, C - 11th
I wonder if anyone has any intel on these guys, and/or opinions about who you think might get selected?

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
According to TSN , we are in 9th place.

LA Kings are one point behind us, but have 2 games in hand. Vancouver are 6 points behind us, but have 6 games in hand. San Jose Sharks are neck and neck with us (have 49 points as well), and have played the same amount of games.

So, I guess best case in terms of draft selection would be 6th overall, and a lot would need to occur for that to happen. So, 6 - 9th pick is probably the most realistic & optimistic range we will get.

If you use Bobby MacK list, here are some of the options (focused mostly on Centers and Defenders) around where we will pick:
  • B Clarke, D - 6th
  • Eklund, LW - 7th
  • Kent Johnson, C - 8th
  • Lucius, C - 9th
  • McTavish, C - 11th
I wonder if anyone has any intel on these guys, and/or opinions about who you think might get selected?

With Seattle getting the 5th spot at worst, we're picking 7th OVR at best assuming no lottery win (and no teams winning behind us).

As far as point percentage goes, we're 8th OVR right now so 9th OVR is probably the most realistic outcome.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
General manager Ron Francis is guaranteed to choose in the top six overall. Just like the Vegas Golden Knights ahead of their 2017-18 expansion season, the Kraken will get the third-best lottery odds of teams vying for the top overall pick.

In odds-speak, the Kraken has about a 10% chance to pick No. 1 overall and a roughly 33% chance at the top three. But you never know. Vegas had an 82% chance to pick top five but tumbled to a worst possible No. 6 once the lottery balls dropped.

Kraken mailbag: A look at where Seattle will pick in NHL draft, rivalries and broadcast booth options

EDIT:

OBE - Overcome by events. Events = changes to draft lottery rules.

Last edited:

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
General manager Ron Francis is guaranteed to choose in the top six overall. Just like the Vegas Golden Knights ahead of their 2017-18 expansion season, the Kraken will get the third-best lottery odds of teams vying for the top overall pick.

In odds-speak, the Kraken has about a 10% chance to pick No. 1 overall and a roughly 33% chance at the top three. But you never know. Vegas had an 82% chance to pick top five but tumbled to a worst possible No. 6 once the lottery balls dropped.

Kraken mailbag: A look at where Seattle will pick in NHL draft, rivalries and broadcast booth options

That was before the lottery rules changed and only the top two spots are now the lottery winners.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
With Seattle getting the 5th spot at worst, we're picking 7th OVR at best assuming no lottery win (and no teams winning behind us).

As far as point percentage goes, we're 8th OVR right now so 9th OVR is probably the most realistic outcome.
Thanks. Forgot about the points percentage which I assume applies to this draft. I'll edit my post.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That was before the lottery rules changed and only the top two spots are now the lottery winners.
OK thanks. Do you have something more recent that you can post specific to Seattle? I did a quick search, and what I found was more dated.

AND, I guess post #882 wasn't very interesting, which was the real focus and discussion that I had hoped to spark. Oh well.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Norris could develop into one, but Stutzle might get there too.

We're looking to have both a great top 6 F and a great top 4 D, which is what's needed to be a contender

Overly optimistic. I think we need a #1 C and #1 RW. The players we have now are not at that level. Next year we will be better but still not in the playoffs. Hopefully the season after that we will be a bubble team or playoff team. We need more top talent to be a serious challenger for the SC.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Overly optimistic. I think we need a #1 C and #1 RW. The players we have now are not at that level. Next year we will be better but still not in the playoffs. Hopefully the season after that we will be a bubble team or playoff team. We need more top talent to be a serious challenger for the SC.

I like Batherson as a #1 RW. I also see Stützle as a first line player eventually as well (probably by the TDL next year). Whether he becomes a C or LW remains to be seen. But I think him and Batherson on the first line looks good with another bonafide 1st liners.

Then you have a really strong duo of Tkachuk and Norris on the second line.

I think we're close to having pieces to compete but need to add one more top end talent up front and ideally a very good RD.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like Batherson as a #1 RW. I also see Stützle as a first line player eventually as well (probably by the TDL next year). Whether he becomes a C or LW remains to be seen. But I think him and Batherson on the first line looks good with another bonafide 1st liners.

Then you have a really strong duo of Tkachuk and Norris on the second line.

I think we're close to having pieces to compete but need to add one more top end talent up front and ideally a very good RD.

I have doubts that Batherson is a #1 RW. Leave him with Tkachuk and Norris on #2.

Stutzle - XXXXX - C. Brown on the #1 line. Perhaps X could be L. Brown, UFA or a Trade, although a trade would be costly?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Sens could take a flyer on this guy

He is the d man that I most want the Sens to draft after the 1st round. We could eventually have a Kleven-Montgomery pairing. Here are some more clips of him. I think you may have seen them before but others may have not so I will post them here.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DraftSim. Won the lottery 1st OA.. Traded down to 2nd OA + a couple picks .. Traded down to 4th OA + a couple picks lol
upload_2021-5-10_20-36-9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad