Prospect Info: 2021 Draft - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Good point re Mann’s stomping ground.

To be clear I agree it’s not always drafted guys but we seem to always have some guys with local ties in the organisation. I also said guys with « local ties » not necessarily guys from here.

Using the local ties criteria and broadening it to acquisitions throughout the organisation over the last few years, you can add guys like Gudbranson, Abramov, Peca, Rippon, Andree, Labrie, Baptiste, Verronneau, Sexton, Blunden, Akeson, O’Dell, Fraser. I’m certainly not saying it’s a huge factor or even a significant factor in who they will draft but they clearly keep tabs on guys with local ties and if it’s close it might factor in.
They will certainly shore up our AHL team with local talent when they need to fill out an AHL roster, local guys definitely have favour there, but it hasn’t had any impact on their drafting over the past 10 years.

They’ve only drafted out of the OHL 2 times since 2014, when Mann began to move up the ladder.

Sens have used the OHL the least by a large amount in that time frame.

Reactions: Bileur

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We drafted greig.
L'Heureux was suspended 4 times in 33 games this season, including for spitting at a player and another for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play.

Greig's been suspended 3 times in 144 games, all for in game hits

I like L'Heureux, but he shouldn't be looked at for our 1st

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
L'Heureux was suspended 4 times in 33 games this season, including for spitting at a player and another for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play.

Greig's been suspended 3 times in 144 games, all for in game hits

I like L'Heureux, but he shouldn't be looked at for our 1st
I’ve never seen a clip of the guy. But I’m down of he plays on the edge. Does he make it to the second

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Shame we won that last game. Bumped us from 8th spot to probably picking 10th, assuming that LA doesn't win against the Avs tonight, Calgary gets at least 2 points in their last 4 games, and Vancouver doesn't get 3 wins in their last 5 games.

Imagine we'll be looking at guys like Lucius, McTavish and Sillinger in that range, but after this crazy year with so little scouting taking place I imagine that it's entirely possible one or more of the top 8 guys (Power, Edvinsson, Guenther, Hughes, Beniers, Clarke, Johnson, Eklund) falls to the end of the top 10.

Reactions: NB613

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Shame we won that last game. Bumped us from 8th spot to probably picking 10th, assuming that LA doesn't win against the Avs tonight, Calgary gets at least 2 points in their last 4 games, and Vancouver doesn't get 3 wins in their last 5 games.

Imagine we'll be looking at guys like Lucius, McTavish and Sillinger in that range, but after this crazy year with so little scouting taking place I imagine that it's entirely possible one or more of the top 8 guys (Power, Edvinsson, Guenther, Hughes, Beniers, Clarke, Johnson, Eklund) falls to the end of the top 10.

Did you enjoy watching Norris’ look of delight as he potted the OT winner against the provincial rival Maple Leafs in the final game of the year?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Did you enjoy watching Norris’ look of delight as he potted the OT winner against the provincial rival Maple Leafs in the final game of the year?

Look at the big picture.

Norris' goal and look of delight will have next to no bearing on our success in future seasons.

Dropping 2 spots in the top 10 and potentially missing out a guy in our top 8 definitely could.

I mean looking at it another way, trading up a couple spots in the top 10 would typically cost at least a 2nd round pick, possibly more. The value of an extra OT win after already missing the playoffs obviously isn't worth losing a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: NB613

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Look at the big picture.

Norris' goal and look of delight will have next to no bearing on our success in future seasons.

Dropping 2 spots in the top 10 and potentially missing out a guy in our top 8 definitely could.

I mean looking at it another way, trading up a couple spots in the top 10 would typically cost at least a 2nd round pick, possibly more. The value of an extra OT win after already missing the playoffs obviously isn't worth losing a 2nd round pick.

We should have shelved all of our good players the moment we were eliminated for the playoffs, right?

Spreadsheets are what hockey is all about.

I guess my big picture involves one of our top forwards gaining the kind of confidence needed to play successfully in the top six for years to come.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Look at the big picture.

I just.... I can't even....

This site needs a dislike button for posts like this.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We should have shelved all of our good players the moment we were eliminated for the playoffs.

Spreadsheets are what hockey is all about.

I guess my big picture involves one of our top forwards gaining the kind of confidence needed to play successfully in the top six for years to come.

Nice strawman fella.

I think you may be vastly overrating the confidence Norris will gain from scoring one goal.

Has nothing to do with spreadsheets it's just common sense.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nice strawman fella.

I think you may be vastly overrating the confidence Norris will gain from scoring one goal.

Has nothing to do with spreadsheets it's just common sense.

You can't try and min-max the real world. It doesn't work.

In your ideal scenario, what, Norris puts it in his own net, thereby heroically ensuring that Ottawa potentially drafts slightly higher?

I don't want any player or manager near this team who conveys the idea that it's ok not to play to win.
Not when it comes to our current core of guys that we are trying to turn into contenders.

In previous years? With those guys? Sure, because they weren't factoring into the future.

If you want a big picture reason, creating a positive and engaging playing environment is going to be critical to ensuring that we can retain players at hopefully affordable prices.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You can't try and min-max the real world. It doesn't work.

In your ideal world, what, Norris puts it in his own net, thereby heroically ensuring that Ottawa potentially drafts slightly higher?

Another strawman. Shocking.

In my ideal world we would have dominated the Leafs but got unlucky and lost in regulation, securing the higher draft pick of greater value and putting the organization in a better position to win games in future seasons.

This isn't rocket science.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In my ideal world we would have dominated the Leafs but got unlucky and lost in regulation, securing the higher draft pick of greater value and putting the organization in a better position to win games in future seasons.

It's hard to set out to dominate an opponent but fail to score. I guess they just didn't execute the game plan correctly.

This isn't rocket science.

Clearly.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
These guys are humans lol. Losing f***ing sucks and we've done A LOT of it the last few seasons.

Wouldn't you rather head into an off season pumped up and feeling good after a win?? They're not robots. Can't just program them to try and get the best pick because maybe in like 2-5 years you have an impact player who can help.

f*** the draft position. Learn to win games.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't want any player or manager near this team who conveys the idea that it's ok not to play to win.
Not when it comes to our current core of guys that we are trying to turn into contenders.

In previous years? With those guys? Sure, because they weren't factoring into the future.

If you want a big picture reason, creating a positive and engaging playing environment is going to be critical to ensuring that we can retain players at hopefully affordable prices.

At no point did I say I wanted DJ Smith or Dorion to try to tell the players to lose or to actually try to tank games.

Again I don't know who you're arguing with here.

Losing one game versus winning one game is completely negligible in regards to it's affect on the playing environment.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
In my ideal world, we outplay everyone but always finish dead last. We are also able to sign all the good free agents and trade them within the first year of their contracts just so we can collect more assets. Of course, future free agents won't view this as a negative and they'll sign team friendly contracts just cuz.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
These guys are humans lol. Losing f***ing sucks and we've done A LOT of it the last few seasons.

Wouldn't you rather head into an off season pumped up and feeling good after a win?? They're not robots. Can't just program them to try and get the best pick because maybe in like 2-5 years you have an impact player who can help.

f*** the draft position. Learn to win games.
Embarrassing

Reactions: Deku and cudi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad