Prospect Info: 2021 Draft - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Skating
Although his skating is not on par with the likes of McDavid, or MacKinnon, Beniers is a very good skater. He hustles, which could be hurting him in the style-point component of this grade, but he gets there. He wins most puck races, and his plus edges allow him to dance with the puck. If there was a sequence to best illustrate his mobility, it was a solo rush in the World Juniors against the Czech squad. Beniers skated past all five Czech defenders, and around the net before dishing off to the trailing forward for a scoring chance. His wheels, combined with his effort and size makes him a beast on the forecheck, where he forces error after error from the opposition. I also want to take this space to point out his great balance and strength on his skates. An opponent could have Beniers all lined up for a big hit, only to bounce off him instead. For all of his power traits, he can also be very slippery, especially with the puck. Grade: 60

Shot
While Beniers has always been one to look for the pass first, he can certainly shoot it, too. He has a knack for creating an extra few inches of room for himself in a high danger area to get all he has on the puck. His one-timer is also quite powerful. Most of his shots come from the mid- to low-slot areas, increasing his chances of generating a legit scoring chance. His wrist shot is strong off the rush. A good number of his shots are from below the circles, but a wide angle, where he seems to be trying to generate a rebound to the slot more than hoping to beat the goaltender directly. The wrist shot, with its quick release, which allows him to squeeze pucks through tight slots, is his most frequent tool, but he will wind up for a slapper here and there as well. All told, Beniers’ shot is fine, but he will score more often from being ready in dangerous places than from wielding fire in his stick. Grade: 55

Skills
This is another area wherein which Beniers doesn’t bring flash, but brings absolute control. We can see this whether he is attempting a wraparound play, or maintaining possession in tight quarters. He can be elusive and slippery with the puck. He is great at skating the puck away from pressure in his own zone and will gain plaudits for his work entering the offensive zone with possession as well. He moves the puck around masterfully to force defenders to back off, giving him added space. Alternately, he can carry a defender on his back as he pushes ahead in the cycle. Although not as frequent, he can show off some slick moves as well, to unbalance opponents. Beyond puck play, Beniers is great at dishing it off. He is in control behind the opposing net, spotting linemates with passes to create scoring chances. As mentioned previously, he is a gifted playmaker and that stems from his vision and passing skills. Topping this all off, Beniers does everything at pace. Grade: 65

Smarts
One of the best things about watching Beniers play is that he always seems to be right in the thick of the action – especially the good action, even if his name doesn’t get on the box score as much as some others. One of the younger players at this year’s WJC, he worked his way into a top six role by the end of the tournament, also playing a key role on the PK from the get go. He is the type who can push the play to the boards and pin it there for a few extra seconds to help ensure a line switch can be made safely. Another demonstration of Beniers’ hockey IQ is in his calmness with the puck. He is often used to try to enter the offensive zone with possession, but if he doesn’t like how the defense is spread out, or the timing of his support from linemates, he will circle back before the entry and try again. In addition to the aforementioned strong forechecking, where he puts tremendous pressure on the opposition, hampering their breakout attempts, his off-puck play in the neutral and defensive zones is incredibly mature. He has a knack for stripping the puck from opponents. He is tenacious, gaps tight and tries to force a mistake, succeeding more than most. While the pros will be less mistake prone than WJC or collegiate opponents, the energy with which he forces those mistakes will play at the higher levels. Beniers always seem to do the right thing =, given the situation at hand. Grade: 65

Physicality
A strong 6-1”, once he finishes filling out his frame, Beniers will have near ideal power forward size for the modern game. He is not a power guy in the sense that he is looking to hit others, but that he invites contacts and regularly powers through it. He plays with phenomenal energy, regularly sacrificing his body to give his team even a small advantage. His strong, wiry frame has thus far allowed him to play this style without undue risk of injury, and that additional physical maturity should allow him to continue along this path after he turns pro. Even without hurting opponents, he is a force to be reckoned with. Grade: 60

Overall Future Projection (OFP): 61.75
A note on the 20-80 scale used above. We look at five attributes (skating, shooting, puck skills, hockey IQ and physicality) for skaters and six for goalies (athleticism/quickness, compete/temperament, vision/play reading, technique/style, rebound control and puck handling). Each individual attribute is graded along the 20-80 scales, which includes half-grades. The idea is that a projection of 50 in a given attribute meant that our observer believed that the player could get to roughly NHL average at that attribute at maturity.

Reactions: Sens in Process

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brandt Clarke reminds me of the Sharks bad version of Karlsson.

Good offensive instincs. Nice first pass but lacks a gear to be super effective offensively.

Compete level in his own zone and d zone coverage are not great.

His shot needs more mustard as well but that will improve.

I have L Hughes rated ahead of him.

Speaking of Hughes, hes going to go high, pretty similar player to Quinn, maybe a notch below in terms of offensive instincts, but he's just so much bigger and also skates really well. Dynamic player.
I didn’t see those issues with Clarke in the second half of last season. Interesting perspective. Hughes has grown on me although much smaller sample size for me than Clarke. I’ve just started looking into some of the higher end guys.

So far I’d be happy with Clarke, Guenther, Hughes and Beniers.

I was high on Johnson but I’m starting to worry about his transition to the pro game. I wouldn’t take Power ahead of any of the 4 I mentioned above. I also need to look into the Euros.

Reactions: DJB

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm starting to think, if we don't pick in the top 2 or 3, it might be a good year to trade the pick for a really good young player. This draft is going to be such a crapshoot with the pandemic play and all...it'll be very easy to draft a dud. And this draft has been labeled as somewhat weak before the pandemic even hit. The big talent is in 2022 (and even that might be stained a bit due to covid cutting into development time).

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
No one is out tanking Buffalo this year. They are on a mission. 13 losses in a row now?

Sometimes at the back of my mind i get this idea that a team who drafts in the top 10 for more than 6 years should have their 1st round pick forfeited you know to put some urgency and force them to be a better team But then i realize how stupid of an idea that is.

How does the league not punish the sabers more for their incompetence?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sometimes at the back of my mind i get this idea that a team who drafts in the top 10 for more than 6 years should have their 1st round pick forfeited you know to put some urgency and force them to be a better team But then i realize how stupid of an idea that is.

How does the league not punish the sabers more for their incompetence?
Their fans will.

Reactions: cudi and DJB

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
This year I want the top RD or C. We should be good with LD and G not to pick with the high 1st, and I think of the forwards, we need a high quality C before a wing. That may or not be BPA for some lists. Beniers or Clarke stand out right now.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I have the feeling the Sanderson camp will want more. Especially if the AHL is allowed to retain some of the young prospects that they are playing this year with no CHL to date. I think he gets NHL games this year after the University circuit is done. Whether that leads to an AHL or NHL spot next year I'm not sure. I see the same for Pinto and Bernard-Docker.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I have the feeling the Sanderson camp will want more. Especially if the AHL is allowed to retain some of the young prospects that they are playing this year with no CHL to date. I think he gets NHL games this year after the University circuit is done. Whether that leads to an AHL or NHL spot next year I'm not sure. I see the same for Pinto and Bernard-Docker.

Which would suck cause I feel as though Sanderson could use another year in college. McAvoy,Makar and Werenski all came into the NHL with at least having 2 seasons of NCAA games.

Bernard-Docker and Pinto I'm fine with to sign and they can both play in the AHL for a season. Patience is key we do not want to rush them. Remember how we rushed Ceci?

Reactions: NB613 and DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Which would suck cause I feel as though Sanderson could use another year in college. McAvoy,Makar and Werenski all came into the NHL with at least having 2 seasons of NCAA games.

Bernard-Docker and Pinto I'm fine with to sign and they can both play in the AHL for a season. Patience is key we do not want to rush them. Remember how we rushed Ceci?

At some point you are ready for the next step. I see both sides. Watching Sanderson.. I think he is ready for the NHL .. Would some of his offense or leading the team abilities get stunted is what I think the concern is . Not sure this can be answered definitively. Information I personally am missing is what kind of team UND will have next year. I think he may be our most ready NHL prospect though regardless of years playing.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

I am not sure I agree that Ceci was rushed. The issue with Ceci was shoehorning him in to a defensive shut down role when that was never ever ever the game he played. Should have been working with his strengths, instead they killed his confidence to do anything offensively.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I always strongly prefer that we take the slow route with our prospects instead of rushing them ala Ceci, Cowan, Lazar etc.

Look at guys weve taken our time with; Hoffman, Dzingel, Stone, Batherson etc.

D men take longer to develop and be effective at the NHL level. I think it would be in everyone's best interests if Sanderson went back to UND next year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Not sure what else we could extract from cost ceci

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

WHL and QMJHL are playing, and OHL likely to start soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad