2021 Coyotes Roster Discussion Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I sure hope they take Fischer. I'm so f***en sick of that guy. He's Derek Stepan's son, I swear. Bud Lite Jr.

I kind of feel sorry for Fischer. I think he's had three different coaches tell him three different ways to play and he's tried to do it each time, and none of them have really gotten his game right. Fischer may look like a tough guy grinder but he's not one, no matter how hard he tries to be for the staff. I think Fischer's NHL career is nearly over and he knows it, and I just feel bad for the guy because I think he wasn't ever allowed to play the game he wanted to because everyone assumed he'd be a physical grunt.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I kind of feel sorry for Fischer. I think he's had three different coaches tell him three different ways to play and he's tried to do it each time, and none of them have really gotten his game right. Fischer may look like a tough guy grinder but he's not one, no matter how hard he tries to be for the staff. I think Fischer's NHL career is nearly over and he knows it, and I just feel bad for the guy because I think he wasn't ever allowed to play the game he wanted to because everyone assumed he'd be a physical grunt.
Kinda sounds like everyone told him to play the same way. Which is what I'd have told him to do, too. It's kinda on him that he failed to do it.

Reactions: Jakey53

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He started hitting more and played way better defensively this year. His offensive game went in the shitter. That was the puzzling thing. We know at this point he's not going to stick up for anyone or drop the gloves. That's just not who he is but if he can play defense, hit AND score 15 like he did in his first full season, he'd be a useful player. Can he be that player under the right coach? I certainly wouldn't count on it but on the other hand, I wouldn't count him out yet either. That being said, I won't be disappointed if he goes in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
He started hitting more and played way better defensively this year. His offensive game went in the shitter. That was the puzzling thing. We know at this point he's not going to stick up for anyone or drop the gloves. That's just not who he is but if he can play defense, hit AND score 15 like he did in his first full season, he'd be a useful player. Can he be that player under the right coach? I certainly wouldn't count on it but on the other hand, I wouldn't count him out yet either. That being said, I won't be disappointed if he goes in the expansion draft.
I felt like he started hitting more for the first 10 games and then went back to his p***y cat, gentle giant routine right after. Honestly, I felt like he only ever brought it when Hayden was in the lineup.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
BA mentioned that they have NOT "released all the names" of the Euro guys they've signed. Jaskin is obviously headed to AZ. (this is DONE!!!)

Gambo really hates OEL and really let BA have it on Oliver (obvious RT didn't like OEL either, given his lapdog Gambo roasts him)

BA basically just said it's a tough contract to move and has a NMC and he can only do what we can do. Says reset and talk later.

I really get the impression that BA is looking to move OEL and Kessel if he can get a meaningful future asset for either.

I really get the impression that BA doesn't want to move the Brat Pack until he sees them with a real coach.

I think BA, like many of us, sees the coaching problem as one of the biggest problems. He wants a real coach.

He took an evaluation year, and I think what he learned was he couldn't trust his staff and it made player evaluation tough.

I honestly think next season is really going to be "Evaluation Year 2: This Time with a REAL Coach!!!"

But I think if new coach says player X is a bum, then player X is gone within 48 hours. I think BA's fuse will get short AF.

I think it's a fair position. It's hard to say who these guys are with clown coaches. It sucks, but it's smart to wait & see.

If I had to guess, I'd say...
-BA will do EVERYTHING he can to move OEL and Kessel where it's economic and an actual asset comes back
-BA won't move more than one of Keller, Garland, Schmaltz, or Dvorak (ESPECIALLY if he can move OEL or Phil)
BA said pretty much to same group is coming back. Maybe not as much movement as we had hoped. We all know the D will look different, but again how much different.
Will look at all types of coaches, not only young inexperienced.
Mentioned players coming back, which included OEL and Schmaltz, Crouse, Pitlick. Did not mention Phil of Fischer.
Gambo loves RT hates OEL. OEL and BA will take later in the summer. BA mentioned that OEL played good parts of the year and not so good other parts. I guess if you get right down to it, the whole damn team did also. That is coaching.
As far as I'm concerned that with missing the playoffs, every player should be available in trade. I'm hoping with a new coach some of these players will go to the next level. We saw some growth in the kids, but they are still more inconsistent than they should be.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we hire Rocky Thompson, he will surely have some input on Fischer and Pitlick. He had Fischer in Windsor. He had Pitlick in Oklahoma City.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
He's doing the rounds. Armstrong on Burns and Gambo. Not sure where to put these.
Podcast Player Archives - Arizona Sports

Edit - notes from listening:

Gambo admits he was pissed Tocc didn't come back (in case that wasn't obvious)

Mutual decision blah blah

Same group coming back - needed a new voice in the room

Want new coach by the draft

Bill knows 10 coaches that fit what he is looking for

Going to look at all different kinds of coaches (not just young)

Gambo asks about Mike Van Ryan - Armstrong says it would be tampering if he says he's a candidate.

Gambo texts Armstrong after games? - Armstrong makes a joke about it

Has to be creative with roster (lack of picks)

OEL - Noncommittal, "well talk later in summer"

Nothing new said. Interview I posted with Roc and Manuch was more informative. Armstrong zings Gambo a couple times which was funny.

you know I may be in the minority and that’s fine, but I actually like Burns and Gambo. Not only has Gambo broken a lot of the news lately, but they typically get good results in interviews. Yeah they have some hot takes and are biased towards certain players and coaches, but at least they aren’t afraid to ask uncomfortable questions. I am truly sick of listening to post game interviewers asking softball, lame ass questions.

The OEL section of this interview was very telling, in my opinion. Good on the guys to ask it.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
you know I may be in the minority and that’s fine, but I actually like Burns and Gambo. Not only has Gambo broken a lot of the news lately, but they typically get good results in interviews. Yeah they have some hot takes and are biased towards certain players and coaches, but at least they aren’t afraid to ask uncomfortable questions. I am truly sick of listening to post game interviewers asking softball, lame ass questions.

The OEL section of this interview was very telling, in my opinion. Good on the guys to ask it.
I don't get to listen much as I did earlier in his career but I love Gambo. Burns is better than Asher too. Never really like Asher but I've been listening to Gambo over 20 years. Yeah, he has his favorites like anybody else but like you said, he does break a lot of info because he's respected by many players and coaches. Plus, he makes me laugh so that's always a bonus. My only problem is he talks very little hockey (like everyone in AZ) and I don't like the Cardinals nor do I watch basketball or baseball anymore. Cards, Dback and Suns are 99% of the show.

Reactions: RABBIT

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
If we hire Rocky Thompson, he will surely have some input on Fischer and Pitlick. He had Fischer in Windsor. He had Pitlick in Oklahoma City.

Good spot. Fischer's year there was superb. 40-50-90. Hard to reconcile a 40 goalscorer with the 3 we've seen this season. Interesting to see Logan Brown on that roster too.

rt

May 13, 2004

Gambo actually likes the Coyotes. For most of these guys they cover the teams just for a paycheck. Even the good ones like Morgan and Lapinski aren’t really Coyotes “fans” per se. Gambo is. I nit pick him because I don’t like many of his opinions but I like him because I know he’s a real fan. It’s like arguing with people on this board. I’d love to meet and talk to every single one of you. Even the ones I’m always disagreeing with and getting into arguments online with.

I know I’m not the only one who gets excited at every single Coyotes bumper sticker, license plate, t shirt and hat I see out in the wild. Tell me you don’t say “go Yotes” quietly to EVERYONE repping the gear. Every time I’m in traffic with someone else in my car and I see a Coyotes sticker or plate, I ALWAYS do the same annoying joke. “Man! Would you look at that guy?!? That guy is really smart. I can just tell he’s really smart. And I bet he’s charming too. Probably funny and the life of every party.” Passenger in my car is like “huh?” And I’m like “Yotes fan!!!”

rt

May 13, 2004
The way it sounds is BA is not hung up on just a young coach like he first mentioned. Hope he hits a home run.
He emphasized “young” a lot less in the media rounds he’s been doing. But he also stated that he knows a bunch of coaches from he previous roles, which indicated lower levels of play as he was involved primarily in amateur hockey.

Morgan has also been emphatic that it would NOT be a brand name vet. There aren’t too many older guys I’d even want to hire who aren’t already established.

But I think you’re right, Jake. I don’t necessarily thing he’s ruling out every guy over 50. I think the likes of Quinn, Laxdal, and Nelson could still be in the running.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Gambo actually likes the Coyotes. For most of these guys they cover the teams just for a paycheck. Even the good ones like Morgan and Lapinski aren’t really Coyotes “fans” per se. Gambo is. I nit pick him because I don’t like many of his opinions but I like him because I know he’s a real fan. It’s like arguing with people on this board. I’d love to meet and talk to every single one of you. Even the ones I’m always disagreeing with and getting into arguments online with.

I know I’m not the only one who gets excited at every single Coyotes bumper sticker, license plate, t shirt and hat I see out in the wild. Tell me you don’t say “go Yotes” quietly to EVERYONE repping the gear. Every time I’m in traffic with someone else in my car and I see a Coyotes sticker or plate, I ALWAYS do the same annoying joke. “Man! Would you look at that guy?!? That guy is really smart. I can just tell he’s really smart. And I bet he’s charming too. Probably funny and the life of every party.” Passenger in my car is like “huh?” And I’m like “Yotes fan!!!”

Haha, my wife and I have this inside kind of joke where we howl every time we see a Yotes sticker/license plate out in the wild while driving around. Makes it fun/funny.

I always love seeing the Yotes represented around town as well.

rt

May 13, 2004
Haha, my wife and I have this inside kind of joke where we howl every time we see a Yotes sticker/license plate out in the wild while driving around. Makes it fun/funny.

I always love seeing the Yotes represented around town as well.
My wife is very sick of my joke. But I’ll never stop. Haha.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I wonder if we could do OEL for JvR?

This is really interesting to me. JvR is exactly the type of player I want on Dvos wing. I know Hoffman was a name that was thrown around, but I would prefer to avoid only adding guys via UFA, that can lead to issues down the road.

Get new coaching staff
Move Kessel for picks and prospects
Move OEL for JvR
Sign Coleman and Oleksiak
Evaluate part two

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

rt

May 13, 2004
Quinn becomes available and suddenly "young" disappears from the lexicon. Haha.
This is actually a really great point. Isn’t Quinn from Rhode Island? If both guys made their off-season homes in RI for many years and both are high level hockey guys, I’m sure they know eachother.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Gambo has an edge, and too NewYorkish, but you are right, he does like hockey and will ask tougher questions. He is the only one in town that asks tougher questions in an interview.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
Found an article from the 2013-2014 BU season that confirms he was still living in RI in the off-season at that time.

Also just noticed that Brett Berard, my favorite player from the last draft that I was crossing every finger and toe we’d pick ultimately went to the Rangers in the 5th round. He’s a RI native who plays for the Friars. Gotta think Quinn is still connected. That can’t be a coincidence.

I think it’s probably safe to assume BA has some kind of relationship with both Leaman and with Quinn. Also, soul-crushingly enough, I gotta think of BA was running the last draft, we’d have taken my guy Berard instead of the psycho racist abuser kid who caused a PR shit storm and the loss of our top pick in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad