Crouse 1.533 Larsson 1.4 Bunting 1.5
Gabriel 1

Chychrun 4.6 Hamilton 8.5
Vaakanainen 0.9 Goligoski 2.0
Oleksiak 4.0 Lyubushkin 1.35
Capobianco 0.8

Hill 1.8
Anderson 3.0

Still not a ton of skill or overwhelming size but there are are a lot of industrious and irritating players.

- Schmaltz, Hayton, Kuemper, 2021 2nd, 2022 1st for Eichel
- OEL for DeBrusk, Vaakanainen
- Kessel for Hornqvist (Florida has been on his list)
- Fischer to Seattle
- Couple of Blues UFAs added up front, then Hamilton, Oleksiak, Andersen
- Still roughly 2 mil cap space

Eichel move aside, I feel blowing the doors off for Hamilton has to be the biggest stretch.

I mean, this would be an outstanding offseason.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I still think Army wants to nuke the leadership/veteran group of this team. We've heard before how the young players look up to Kessel, but maybe Army doesn't like that. Playing poker and eating hotdogs all day and also being a 30-goal scorer is definitely not the norm.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Would rather ride out the last year of Kessel's contract than picking up the extra year of an older Hornqvist, especially considering he is currently under producing Kessel on a better team.

Yeah, that's a tough one to figure out. Pretty limited no-trade list and historically he's rigged it to include teams who wouldn't want him to really minimize the team's options.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Yeah, that's a tough one to figure out. Pretty limited no-trade list and historically he's rigged it to include teams who wouldn't want him to really minimize the team's options.
I wonder if BA looks at Phil as a cap dump to be able reallocate the money to a player he wants. RNH? Landeskog? Somethings a bit strange with Landeskog being unsigned when they started talking in the fall...

I wonder if we would sign a top FA, then ship Phil for a 4th... BA seems very excited about this offseason, I think he has some big ideas.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Phil made it pretty clear in the exit interviews that he expects to not be in AZ. That makes me think his list wont be as tight as far as minimizing options that would work. Unlike coming out of Pitt where it was pretty much AZ or bust. I think we get picks and prospects for him which are then used in an Eichel deal. If we don't get Eichel then we have extra picks and prospects and cap. Win-win (besides those 20-30 goals....)

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder if BA looks at Phil as a cap dump to be able reallocate the money to a player he wants. RNH? Landeskog? Somethings a bit strange with Landeskog being unsigned when they started talking in the fall...

I wonder if we would sign a top FA, then ship Phil for a 4th... BA seems very excited about this offseason, I think he has some big ideas.
Phil would fetch much more than a 4th if they decide to move him.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

cobra427

May 6, 2012
More just illustrating a point that BA may not really care what the return is. He wants to reallocate the money.

And like Mosby said Phil has a near impossible NMC.
Lets assume Phil will wave. I think we get a cap dump back for him as part of the deal. At his age and his salary, nobody wants the cap hit, cap space is gold. We unload a goal scorer for not as much talent back and we get a cap dump so we don't save much either.

Other than just wanting Phil out of the locker room, I don't see us benefitting much in a trade.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I still think Army wants to nuke the leadership/veteran group of this team. We've heard before how the young players look up to Kessel, but maybe Army doesn't like that. Playing poker and eating hotdogs all day and also being a 30-goal scorer is definitely not the norm.
These vets could be all gone: Demers/Hjam/Goose/Brassard. That leaves OEL/Kessel. I could see Kessel being moved but for a cap dump back, maybe a vet leader BA wants. OEL has the NMC, I doubt he waves again.

If BA doesn't like OEL/Kessel as leaders, that is hard, because they are the hardest to move.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
I don’t think Phil is as un-tradable as some of you guys think. He did manage to score 20 goals in a shortened season on an offensively challenged team. He has 1 year left on his contract and I believe he’s getting a 5 mill bonus and then a 1 million base salary. Of course the cap hit can be tough to fit in these days, but Phil raised his value this season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don’t think Phil is as un-tradable as some of you guys think. He did manage to score 20 goals in a shortened season on an offensively challenged team. He has 1 year left on his contract and I believe he’s getting a 5 mill bonus and then a 1 million base salary. Of course the cap hit can be tough to fit in these days, but Phil raised his value this season.

The problem is he can control his destination, limiting his value.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The problem is he can control his destination, limiting his value.

Yep, but this time I think he doesn't mind going to a better team. I don't feel like he really loved it in AZ. I think he goes somewhere he can chase a cup, or maybe go back to the Midwest to be a hometown-ish hero.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was fine going to all of the following:
Dallas
Florida
Minnesota
Pittsburgh
Nashville
Chicago
Philly
Boston
NYI - feels like the biggest stretch here.

All of which probably wouldn't mind adding him for at least a year.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
I would try to get Kassian from the Oil for Schmaltz, we need muscle that can play a little, might have to eat some salary but number 8 needs to go unless Keller gets punted to another team.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Why are we so eager to give up our top goal scorer for middling value? Might as well keep him, unless the team is purposely tanking, of course.

4 possible reasons:
1. Don't like the player think he's a bad influence etc.
2. Maybe we could actually get some value (unlikely)
3. Tanking as you note.
4. He's mad about RT.

1 could possibly be legit IMO but he did win 2 cups and wasn't just a passenger by any means. His shit performance Yr 1 had more to do with subservience to the GP streak. I don't think he's bad culturally if the team around him is okay. With a poor coach like RT and past guys like Stepan though? Problem. Phil's a guy you can work around in better conditions.

Have no idea on #4

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lets assume Phil will wave. I think we get a cap dump back for him as part of the deal. At his age and his salary, nobody wants the cap hit, cap space is gold. We unload a goal scorer for not as much talent back and we get a cap dump so we don't save much either.

Other than just wanting Phil out of the locker room, I don't see us benefitting much in a trade.
Dont think dumping Kessel for another aging vet helps the team much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma