2021 Coyotes Roster Discussion Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Why are we so eager to give up our top goal scorer for middling value? Might as well keep him, unless the team is purposely tanking, of course.

Agreed, this one is on Chayka though. He applauded himself for this kind of "forward thinking". The mentality that it is better for the kid to be around the pro team instead of playing games in Junior, even if the coach wont put them in the lineup consistently. IIRC they did this with Strome for a while too before finally sending him back to juniors the year before he was AHL eligible. Or perhaps it was that he was carried on the team not playing games before finally being sent back to the AHL like Hayton this year.

Edit: I think there is a ton of value for getting these kids on the plane with the team, practicing with the pros, training with the pro trainers, learning from the pro coaches. But it has to be play one game, sit out two games, play game sit out two games. Hayton just lost too many games between the two seasons by being carried around by the team.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
More just illustrating a point that BA may not really care what the return is. He wants to reallocate the money.

And like Mosby said Phil has a near impossible NMC.
I see your position here.

I don’t think you give away Kessel just because. The guy can score goals and has value. I still think he will be a top trade deadline target in the league if the Yotes are struggling next season.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I don't see Kessel on the team opening day. Traded after his bonus is paid. Could Francis hire Tocchet? Kessel for a pick in the expansion draft?

I like how TSN has Tocchet in top 10 of free agents this year!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Phil made it pretty clear in the exit interviews that he expects to not be in AZ. That makes me think his list wont be as tight as far as minimizing options that would work. Unlike coming out of Pitt where it was pretty much AZ or bust. I think we get picks and prospects for him which are then used in an Eichel deal. If we don't get Eichel then we have extra picks and prospects and cap. Win-win (besides those 20-30 goals....)
What did he say?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lets assume Phil will wave. I think we get a cap dump back for him as part of the deal. At his age and his salary, nobody wants the cap hit, cap space is gold. We unload a goal scorer for not as much talent back and we get a cap dump so we don't save much either.

Other than just wanting Phil out of the locker room, I don't see us benefitting much in a trade.
Unless BA has a high end UFA he wants to over pay for and he needs the cap space. Other than that we may as well keep out point leader.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
https://post.futurimedia.com/kgmeam/playlist/listen-5747.html

Sounds like Jaskin is coming for sure.

Interesting he said they could sell because guys had NMC/NTC and/or contracts nobody wants. Basically said any returns they could have got weren't worth it. I'd say that means he really has no attachment to the likes of OEL or Kessel. If he gets acceptable value, they're gone.

He FINALLY named Hayton when he mentioned Soderstrom, Jenik, and Prosvetov.

Keller, Garland, Schmaltz, Crouse, Chychrun, Kuemper were all named as "core pieces" that will remain intact "for now". Said he doesn't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, but is definitely looking for players, prospects, and picks and ways to create multiple assets. I think basically he was saying all of those players (apart from Chychrun who he singled out earlier) are available for the right price but the price is high on each. I think he accidentally left out Dvorak, and purposely left out OEL and Kessel.

I get the impression overall that he'll take ANY decent asset for OEL and/or Kessel. For Keller, Garland, Schmaltz, Crouse, Dvorak, and Kuemper he wants really good pieces.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think he's going to try like hell to get at least one meaningful asset for OEL and at least one meaningful asset for Kessel. I think if he can do that, we'll see a little less movement of the under-26 set.

He really emphasized "creating assets". To me, I think this means we are less likely to see Keller+Schmaltz packaged up to get a single big piece like Eichel, and much more likely that we see the likes of Keller or Schmaltz sold separately, each fore a small package. I think creating assets is trading Keller for two real pieces and Schmaltz for two real pieces. Now you have four where you previously had just two. That's an over simplification but I think that's where his head is at. We just don't have anywhere near a big enough pile of assets. We don't even have the quantity, let alone the quality. Just as random examples, I could see something like Keller for Zary and Pelletier and Schmaltz for Foudy and Knazko. Not those specifically, but that KIND of thing.

rt

May 13, 2004
Rumors out of Philly re: Nolan Patrick wanting out. I'm not the biggest fan, but he's worth a gamble. I do like Gostisbehere. They definitely want to dump him.

I see Philly and Calgary as the two teams most in need of a major shake-up and as teams with desperate GMs who are in a tough spot to find a way forward.

I wondered about Johnny Gaudreau in a bigger deal for Travis Sanheim (RFA due a big raise). Maybe that opens the door for an OEL to Philly trade with Nolan Patrick (RFA) and Gostisbehere coming back in that deal. Could also open the door for Keller to CGY. Maybe Lucic, Zary, and Pelletier coming back? Maybe we use some of our savings on those deals to sign Jaden Schwartz to replace Keller for a few years?

Anyway, that's all crazy convoluted and highly unlikely for a number of reasons, but I'm trying to think of just random examples of how we can get a bigger pile of assets, while simultaneously freeing ourselves from boat anchors.

Reactions: AZhockey1991

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Rumors out of Philly re: Nolan Patrick wanting out. I'm not the biggest fan, but he's worth a gamble. I do like Gostisbehere. They definitely want to dump him.

I see Philly and Calgary as the two teams most in need of a major shake-up and as teams with desperate GMs who are in a tough spot to find a way forward.

I wondered about Johnny Gaudreau in a bigger deal for Travis Sanheim (RFA due a big raise). Maybe that opens the door for an OEL to Philly trade with Nolan Patrick (RFA) and Gostisbehere coming back in that deal. Could also open the door for Keller to CGY. Maybe Lucic, Zary, and Pelletier coming back? Maybe we use some of our savings on those deals to sign Jaden Schwartz to replace Keller for a few years?

Anyway, that's all crazy convoluted and highly unlikely for a number of reasons, but I'm trying to think of just random examples of how we can get a bigger pile of assets, while simultaneously freeing ourselves from boat anchors.
Need to see who new Gm in Calgary will be. Treliving will not be Gm. He will get canned likely next week.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Need to see who new Gm in Calgary will be. Treliving will not be Gm. He will get canned likely next week.

Return of the Jedi!

134005327.0.jpg

In all honesty it’s probably Sutter.

Reactions: Kaizen

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
First off, great summary RT.

I don't think creating assets refers to any of the under 26 group going for parts.

I think that refers to Kessel and OEL. I think BA really wants to be able to mold the team with his vision. He can do that by signing FAs after sending out money, and by acquiring draft picks/prospects he likes. His main goal seems to be adding to our core. I don't expect any of those players he mentioned to be moved + Dvorak.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Unless BA has a high end UFA he wants to over pay for and he needs the cap space. Other than that we may as well keep out point leader.
I agree. My point with sending out Kessel was based on us signing someone so the the final transaction looks like

Kessel For RNH and a pick. That's a win no matter what the pick is.

Kinda like how the Stepan trade ended up as Stepan for Brassard and a 2nd. Massive win.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He's doing the rounds. Armstrong on Burns and Gambo. Not sure where to put these.
Podcast Player Archives - Arizona Sports

Edit - notes from listening:

Gambo admits he was pissed Tocc didn't come back (in case that wasn't obvious)

Mutual decision blah blah

Same group coming back - needed a new voice in the room

Want new coach by the draft

Bill knows 10 coaches that fit what he is looking for

Going to look at all different kinds of coaches (not just young)

Gambo asks about Mike Van Ryan - Armstrong says it would be tampering if he says he's a candidate.

Gambo texts Armstrong after games? - Armstrong makes a joke about it

Has to be creative with roster (lack of picks)

OEL - Noncommittal, "well talk later in summer"

Nothing new said. Interview I posted with Roc and Manuch was more informative. Armstrong zings Gambo a couple times which was funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Doaner

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe getting OEL and Yandle back together could do Oliver some good.

Schmaltz and a 3rd for Yandle and Verhaeghe.

Just an idea. Couldn’t get much worse for Oliver, so not much to lose.

rt

May 13, 2004
He's doing the rounds. Armstrong on Burns and Gambo. Not sure where to put these.
Podcast Player Archives - Arizona Sports

Edit - notes from listening:

Gambo admits he was pissed Tocc didn't come back (in case that wasn't obvious)

Mutual decision blah blah

Same group coming back - needed a new voice in the room

Want new coach by the draft

Bill knows 10 coaches that fit what he is looking for

Going to look at all different kinds of coaches (not just young)

Gambo asks about Mike Van Ryan - Armstrong says it would be tampering if he says he's a candidate.

Gambo texts Armstrong after games? - Armstrong makes a joke about it

Has to be creative with roster (lack of picks)

OEL - Noncommittal, "well talk later in summer"

Nothing new said. Interview I posted with Roc and Manuch was more informative. Armstrong zings Gambo a couple times which was funny.

BA mentioned that they have NOT "released all the names" of the Euro guys they've signed. Jaskin is obviously headed to AZ. (this is DONE!!!)

Gambo really hates OEL and really let BA have it on Oliver (obvious RT didn't like OEL either, given his lapdog Gambo roasts him)

BA basically just said it's a tough contract to move and has a NMC and he can only do what we can do. Says reset and talk later.

I really get the impression that BA is looking to move OEL and Kessel if he can get a meaningful future asset for either.

I really get the impression that BA doesn't want to move the Brat Pack until he sees them with a real coach.

I think BA, like many of us, sees the coaching problem as one of the biggest problems. He wants a real coach.

He took an evaluation year, and I think what he learned was he couldn't trust his staff and it made player evaluation tough.

I honestly think next season is really going to be "Evaluation Year 2: This Time with a REAL Coach!!!"

But I think if new coach says player X is a bum, then player X is gone within 48 hours. I think BA's fuse will get short AF.

I think it's a fair position. It's hard to say who these guys are with clown coaches. It sucks, but it's smart to wait & see.

If I had to guess, I'd say...
-BA will do EVERYTHING he can to move OEL and Kessel where it's economic and an actual asset comes back
-BA won't move more than one of Keller, Garland, Schmaltz, or Dvorak (ESPECIALLY if he can move OEL or Phil)

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad