2021 Coyotes Roster Discussion Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is really interesting to me. JvR is exactly the type of player I want on Dvos wing. I know Hoffman was a name that was thrown around, but I would prefer to avoid only adding guys via UFA, that can lead to issues down the road.

Get new coaching staff
Move Kessel for picks and prospects
Move OEL for JvR
Sign Coleman and Oleksiak
Evaluate part two
I like that. I do think we need someone to take over for OEL on the PP, though. Maybe grab Gostisbehere, or see if FLA will retain on Yandle (maybe as part of that Kessel trade you mentioned).

Reactions: Grimes

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017

I really liked Crouse this year. He was snake-bitten bad throughout the year...I swear the guy hit 15-20 posts it seemed. Chances were definitely there... glad to see there was some recognition from around the league.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

May 13, 2004
I didn't realize Jani Hakanpaa is UFA. Former Bill Armstrong pick. 6'5, 220lbs, RHS, racks up tons of hits. I was always impressed with him when we played ANA and was jealous of CAR when they acquired him. He's not great, but he's good in his role, I think. I thought he was a lot younger than he is, and I had no idea he was UFA. I think he'd be a great pick-up. With Adam Larsson off-the-board, I think Jani Hakanpaa is a decent poor man's version substitute.

1. Kessel (50%) for Yandle (50%) and John Ludvig
2. OEL and Fischer Gostisbehere and Nolan Patrick
3. Sign UFA D Tucker Poolman and Jani Hakanpaa

Then you've got 3 offensive LD in Chychrun, Yandle, and Gostisbehere and 3 defensive RD in Poolman, Hakanpaa, and Lybushkin. Could sell whichever two of Yandle, Ghost, Poolman and Hakanpaa have the highest value at the next TDL. Make room for Soderstrom and Ludvig.

It sounds like BA might be trying to figure out how to keep both Kuemper and Hill. I think if that's your battery in goal, then the above D group is okay enough for the team not to be too terrible next season. And you can add more futures at the deadline for them.

Reactions: moosemeister

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
No interest in Ghost at all. He doesn't produce much anymore, he's a defensive liability and overpaid.

We don't need another PP QB or need to add one if OEL is moved. We have Chychrun. Just give him 80% of the PP time. Put Soderstrom on the other line or Oesterle.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
No interest in Ghost at all. He doesn't produce much anymore, he's a defensive liability and overpaid.

We don't need another PP QB or need to add one if OEL is moved. We have Chychrun. Just give him 80% of the PP time. Put Soderstrom on the other line or Oesterle.
Don’t forget this has been Chychrun’s first full season in some time.

Reactions: Jakey53

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I didn't realize Jani Hakanpaa is UFA. Former Bill Armstrong pick. 6'5, 220lbs, RHS, racks up tons of hits. I was always impressed with him when we played ANA and was jealous of CAR when they acquired him. He's not great, but he's good in his role, I think. I thought he was a lot younger than he is, and I had no idea he was UFA. I think he'd be a great pick-up. With Adam Larsson off-the-board, I think Jani Hakanpaa is a decent poor man's version substitute.

1. Kessel (50%) for Yandle (50%) and John Ludvig
2. OEL and Fischer Gostisbehere and Nolan Patrick
3. Sign UFA D Tucker Poolman and Jani Hakanpaa

Then you've got 3 offensive LD in Chychrun, Yandle, and Gostisbehere and 3 defensive RD in Poolman, Hakanpaa, and Lybushkin. Could sell whichever two of Yandle, Ghost, Poolman and Hakanpaa have the highest value at the next TDL. Make room for Soderstrom and Ludvig.

It sounds like BA might be trying to figure out how to keep both Kuemper and Hill. I think if that's your battery in goal, then the above D group is okay enough for the team not to be too terrible next season. And you can add more futures at the deadline for them.

If we can't get Poolman, Hakanpaa is my next target.

rt

May 13, 2004

5v5 offense from our blueline outside of Chychrun has also been a big problem, I’d say. Not that Ghost or Yandle really solve that. It’s a tough thing to solve. Dumping Housley helps, but I do think we need to continue to have good puck movers with some offensive ability, even outside of the PP. I’m not totally comfortable having Chychrun alone being the sum total of our offense from the blueline in all situations. And that’s his ability to stay healthy notwithstanding. That’s still a risk factor, I think.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
5v5 offense from our blueline outside of Chychrun has also been a big problem, I’d say. Not that Ghost or Yandle really solve that. It’s a tough thing to solve. Dumping Housley helps, but I do think we need to continue to have good puck movers with some offensive ability, even outside of the PP. I’m not totally comfortable having Chychrun alone being the sum total of our offense from the blueline in all situations. And that’s his ability to stay healthy notwithstanding. That’s still a risk factor, I think.
I agree we need puck movers. But I'd prefer someone more like prime Goligoski or Demers who are good in two zones.

I would prefer Yandle to Ghost. Yandle still produces. Ghosts production has been similar to Oesterles at a way higher cost. Honestly would rather just resign Oesterle for like 2M, 1 or 2 years than be stuck with Ghost.

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree we need puck movers. But I'd prefer someone more like prime Goligoski or Demers who are good in two zones.

I would prefer Yandle to Ghost. Yandle still produces. Ghosts production has been similar to Oesterles at a way higher cost. Honestly would rather just resign Oesterle for like 2M, 1 or 2 years than be stuck with Ghost.

Trades
1. Kessel(50%) for Yandle(50%) & Ludvig & Pick
2. OEL for JvR
3. Kuemper for Ristolainen

Expansion
1. Fischer to Seattle

UFAs
1. Oleksiak
2. Schwartz
3. Anderson
4. Hakanpaa

Roster
J. Schwartz-Dvorak-Keller
vanReimsdyk-Schmaltz-Garland
Bunting-Jenik/Hayton-Jaskin
Crouse-J.Larsson-Pitlick
Hayton/Jenik

Chychrun-Ristolainen
Oleksiak-Soderstrom
Yandle-Hakanpaa
Lyubushkin

Hill/Andersen
Andersen/Hill

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Trades
2. OEL for JvR

Expansion
1. Fischer to Seattle

UFAs
1. Oleksiak
2. Schwartz
3. Anderson
4. Hakanpaa

Roster
Crouse-J.Larsson-Pitlick
Hayton/Jenik

Chychrun-Ristolainen
Oleksiak-Soderstrom
Yandle-Hakanpaa
Lyubushkin

Hill/Andersen
Andersen/Hill
How much do you think Andersen would cost?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
More than Hill, less than Kuemper. :dunno:
The talking heads up here seem to think he's getting a raise??? I don't see how but there are a limited number of goalies who can play above average and more than 50 starts a year so who the heck knows?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if we could do OEL for JvR?
Id like a Morgan Frost who played with Hayton. Toss in a D prospect and a pick and likely Gostibehere to even out $.

im okay if we substitute Patrick for Frost.

Last edited:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Trades
2. OEL for JvR

Expansion
1. Fischer to Seattle

UFAs
1. Oleksiak
2. Schwartz
3. Anderson
4. Hakanpaa

Roster
Crouse-J.Larsson-Pitlick
Hayton/Jenik

Chychrun-Ristolainen
Oleksiak-Soderstrom
Yandle-Hakanpaa
Lyubushkin

Hill/Andersen
Andersen/Hill
I dig it. JVRs an interesting idea that actually makes a lot of sense. He's also not on a great contract. Could be ugly the last year or two.

But he did have a great season. A year ago I think Philly does it. Now I'm not sure.

rt

May 13, 2004
I dig it. JVRs an interesting idea that actually makes a lot of sense. He's also not on a great contract. Could be ugly the last year or two.

But he did have a great season. A year ago I think Philly does it. Now I'm not sure.
Two years left on the JvR deal. $7 in cash next season, $5 in cash the season after (final season). The latest LeBrun article in the Athletic talks a lot about huge, sweeping changes coming to Philly. Fletcher is in the hot-seat and is not going to fire AV. This is his last off-season as GM if they don't drastically improve. Fletcher pointed to not replacing Niskanen as his biggest failing this season. The article positioned Philly's main problems as stagnation and defensemen. Got me thinking about OEL for JvR.

Who remembers being up until the middle of the night as JvR was deciding between AZ and Philly when he was UFA? Just refreshing over and over again until the inevitable heart-break. Chayka signed Grabner instead as his back-up option. He missed out on other pieces while focusing on JvR.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Two years left on the JvR deal. $7 in cash next season, $5 in cash the season after (final season). The latest LeBrun article in the Athletic talks a lot about huge, sweeping changes coming to Philly. Fletcher is in the hot-seat and is not going to fire AV. This is his last off-season as GM if they don't drastically improve. Fletcher pointed to not replacing Niskanen as his biggest failing this season. The article positioned Philly's main problems as stagnation and defensemen. Got me thinking about OEL for JvR.

Who remembers being up until the middle of the night as JvR was deciding between AZ and Philly when he was UFA? Just refreshing over and over again until the inevitable heart-break. Chayka signed Grabner instead as his back-up option. He missed out on other pieces while focusing on JvR.
Oh did not realize there were only 2 years left.

Could be a perfect trade. OELs cap hit is only 1.25M more. And just checked an JVRs owed 7M next year then 5M. Would save us 8M in cash over two years. We could have JVR and a quality replacement D for the cost of OEL.

rt

May 13, 2004
Oh did not realize there were only 2 years left.

Could be a perfect trade. OELs cap hit is only 1.25M more. And just checked an JVRs owed 7M next year then 5M. Would save us 8M in cash over two years. We could have JVR and a quality replacement D for the cost of OEL.
Could probably get Jake McCabe on a 2yr, 8mil deal.

rt

May 13, 2004
HFPhilly seems to hate Kevin Hayes and seems at least somewhat open to OEL for him. Both players have NMCs but I'd do that deal if all sides were amenable. Hayes is owed 33.5m in actual cash over the next five seasons. OEL is owed 50m in actual cash over the next six years. That's an average of 6.7 million for Hayes versus and average of 8.3 million for OEL, if you're keeping score at home. Hayes is obviously signed for one fewer season, and is one year younger.

OEL is owed 10.5m in cash each of the next three seasons.

Hayes is owed 9m, 7.5m, and 6.5m in those three seasons.

That's a savings of 8.5m in total cash over those three.

I'd bet Jani Hakanpaa would sign a 3yr, 8.5m deal in UFA.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I really liked Crouse this year. He was snake-bitten bad throughout the year...I swear the guy hit 15-20 posts it seemed. Chances were definitely there... glad to see there was some recognition from around the league.

Is team Canada having trouble getting players to play at the World's?

Reactions: Mosby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino