Paul-Pinto-C.Brown
Formenton-Tierney-Watson/Kelly

Chabot-Zaitsev
MDZ-Zub
Holden-Brannstrom

Murray-Gus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't see White ever being the 2C we need going forward. Love if he proves that wrong, but at this point the way i see it, it's either 3C/2RW/3RW, and that would be just fine. Although, yes that 2RW would be hard to grab because of competition.
I like the progress he showed last year, so if he continues that trend(working harder, driving the net, shooting) then i'd like him on the team.
Did not say going forward but I think they give him a crack if they don't add a C going into TC

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Based on the end of last season and the recent acquisitions, I think the D will look like this :
Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Mete-Holden
MDZ-J.Brown

J.Brown/Holden/MDZ > J.Brown/Gudbranson/Coburn so at least there is progress there. Also that group was pretty much the one we rolled to end the season 10-3-1, with the addition of Holden.

I have a feeling there will be at least one move at forward considering Daddy got traded and we need help up the middle, maybe two moves if they get rid of Tierney (please do)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Based on the end of last season and the recent acquisitions, I think the D will look like this :
Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Mete-Holden
MDZ-J.Brown

J.Brown/Holden/MDZ > J.Brown/Gudbranson/Coburn so at least there is progress there. Also that group was pretty much the one we rolled to end the season 10-3-1, with the addition of Holden.

I have a feeling there will be at least one move at forward considering Daddy got traded and we need help up the middle, maybe two moves if they get rid of Tierney (please do)

I guarantee you they didn't give 4M to MDZ to sit in the pressbox.

One of Brannstrom or Mete is gone IMO. When Sanderson comes in then maybe they try to move MDZ.

Reactions: aragorn

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
1. Whoever gets paired with Zub in camp is likely our 2nd pair defenseman to start the season unless there is an issue with the pairing.
2. They were pretty specific in their press conference that both Holden and MDZ can both play on the right side.
3. They have been pretty emphatic that Brannstrom should have made the team out of camp and only injuries likely kept him out.
4. I know some people are putting MDZ in the press box, but I just don't see it happening given the salaries involved.
5. We have 2 X LHD spots and 1XRHD spot open for grabs but they need someone on the right prepared to take on RHD minutes in case of injury to Zub/Zaitsev. I'm not sure they see Brown as being able to do that.
6. We know they have size biases, for better or worse.
7. They talked up Josh Brown a bit and DJ likes him/coached him in juniors, but they didn't have a problem benching him last season, so I'm not sure he is an automatic to beat out Holden/MDZ.
8. We don't have a ton of size on the Left or Right, but Brown can be swapped in for size if we put MDZ there. If we put Holden right, who do we swap for size on the left? It creates a mess.
9. I also don't see them playing Brannstrom or Mete on the right given DJ's predilections
10. The more I think about it, I just don't see them trading Brannstrom for a center because our defense is so much worse than our forward corps.
11. Starting with 8 defenseman is not that crazy, but I do see them possibly trading Mete. I don't think they take a 14 game sample and dump an offensive talent like Brannstrom for Mete, but I've been wrong before.
12. Without Brannstrom I don't see anyone who is a legitimate threat to challenge MDZ to play top-4 minutes next season, especially with their biases against size.
13. We have a very "old school" and conservative management/coach
14. They love Zaitsev and he has no challenger on the right side for the Chabot pairing.
15. They brought in 8 defensemen. I no longer think JBD or Thomson is getting a real shot until after the deadline unless Brannstorm/Mete is traded.
16. I think people under rate MDZ's experience and how good he's been recently. He played a lot of good minutes for Anaheim and Columbus. Often on the right side.
17. Holden and Brown are gone next year. Probably not re-signed. Sanderson will need a partner, hence the 2 year contract for MDZ
18. Putting MDZ on the right gives them some backup for Zub and someone who can play right side for the PP.

The more I think about it, my best guess is that they go:

Chabot Zaitsev
Brannstrom Zub
Holden MDZ

It gives them size on the left, a two year spot for MDZ, and at the deadline if Sanderson comes, he switches out with Holden who gets traded (if we're out or benched if we're not.)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

One of Brannstrom or Mete is gone IMO. When Sanderson comes in then maybe they try to move MDZ.

Would not make much sense to go sign MDZ if they felt he was a 6-7 with Holden already in the mix.

I suspect they see him internally as a bottom pair guy that can play on the second pair.

Reactions: Boud

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Would not make much sense to go sign MDZ if they felt he was a 6-7 with Holden already in the mix.

I suspect they see him internally as a bottom pair guy that can play on the second pair.

I see Holden as a guy they took on to dump Dadonov's contract. He's this year's Coburn. I expect him in the press box more than the lineup.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah that’s why it’s friggin stupid.
Unless mdz blows us away and is clearly one of our 4 best d
Can’t have too much depth back there they say so ok...it’s not the worst thing. As long as the best players with potential play.

Reactions: Boud

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see Holden as a guy they took on to dump Dadonov's contract. He's this year's Coburn. I expect him in the press box more than the lineup.

He's probably closer to Brown than Colburn imo, while MDZ is probably closer to Reilly, at least in terms of the teams expectations
(just my hunch)

I get the feeling that Brannstrom and Mete will compete for a spot, and Holden might sub in on the right side over Brown or be the odd man out.

The team likely wants a LHD guy they can trust on the PK, Holden is probably appealing for that alone. MDZ has gotten PK time and might fill in for that role too.

5v5 I can see us happy with both Brann and Mete in the lineup, the thing is the coach will want big bodies for the PK, I could see us going with a bottom pair of Holden and Brown for that reason alone, but that leaves us with Mete, Brannstrom and MDZ competing for one spot, which isn't ideal. The compromise is MDZ, which is why I think he's nearly guaranteed a spot, and then one of Holden or Brown playing the right side

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom is waiver exempt & they need defencemen in Belleville who can move the puck & add some offence. I doubt they brought in defencemen just to sit them & for the money they are getting I think they will play them given they have the experience this management team is always talking about. It's a long way until the TDL & injuries occur & should things go south they could make changes quickly but I think they go with this lineup until it proves it's not good enough & they slowly change one guy at a time. Remember they went with Reilly for quite a number of games last yr & he did well with Zub.

Chabot - Zaitsev
MDZ - Zub
Holden - J. Brown/Mete

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
They did because Brannstrom was unavailable and Wolanin wasn't impressive. Plus he was a vet coming off a Cup win so there was a matter of respect there.
Yeah, but he continued to play after they put Wolanin on the roster instead of Reilly.

I mean, we'll see, but I do think they wanted a more physical of "bigger" look when Chabot and Reilly/Wolanin/Brannstrom are not, in any way, imposing/defensive.

Reactions: aragorn

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
seems a better place than the main board…
For the D - I wish we’d just move Brannstrom over to the other side, and work towards a future state of:
Chabot JBD
Sanderson Zub
Kleven Brannstrom

Inmean there’s obviously a number of assumptions here but in theory this has everything you want.
The top four would just chew up 5 on 5 minutes, spelled by a very competent 5/6
Also that 5/6 is the core of your special teams
Brannstrom is the team PP quarterback, and Klevin is the 1st D over the boards on the PK.

Chabot Brannstrom PP1
Sanderson Zub PP2
Klevin JBD PK 1
Sanderson Zub PK2
(Or flip these last two around presuming minutes work as they would be an amazing PK1)

Id love to see that as the medium/long term plan & everything else until then is just noise along the way.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Mete-Holden
MDZ-J.Brown

Dorion did not sign MDZ at $2M to be a #7 or #8 Defenseman.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
seems a better place than the main board…
For the D - I wish we’d just move Brannstrom over to the other side, and work towards a future state of:
Chabot JBD
Sanderson Zub
Kleven Brannstrom

Inmean there’s obviously a number of assumptions here but in theory this has everything you want.
The top four would just chew up 5 on 5 minutes, spelled by a very competent 5/6
Also that 5/6 is the core of your special teams
Brannstrom is the team PP quarterback, and Klevin is the 1st D over the boards on the PK.

Chabot Brannstrom PP1
Sanderson Zub PP2
Klevin JBD PK 1
Sanderson Zub PK2
(Or flip these last two around presuming minutes work as they would be an amazing PK1)

Id love to see that as the medium/long term plan & everything else until then is just noise along the way.

DJ usually plays 4F on PP1 at least.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Tkachuk-Norris-Brown
Stutzle-Tierney/Replacement-Batherson
Formenton-Brown(I hope)-XX
Paul-White-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brann-Zub
MDZ-Brown

I expect the 2nd and 3rd pairs on D to be pretty even with ES minutes.

I don't think Pinto starts in Ottawa, I believe he'll be in Belleville this year.

I hope Paul returns back to the wing, I think he's much more effective there and will get White to play a better two way game if they're paired together.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tkachuk-Norris-Brown
Stutzle-Tierney/Replacement-Batherson
Formenton-Brown(I hope)-XX
Paul-White-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brann-Zub
MDZ-Brown

I expect the 2nd and 3rd pairs on D to be pretty even with ES minutes.

I don't think Pinto starts in Ottawa, I believe he'll be in Belleville this year.

I hope Paul returns back to the wing, I think he's much more effective there and will get White to play a better two way game if they're paired together.

Is this your prediction on the starting lineup or your wish?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is this your prediction on the starting lineup or your wish?

Looks like a bit of both to me. J.Brown might get bumped by Mete or Holden. We don't know who XX at RW will be at this time (could be White if D acquires a Center). L. Brown might play higher in the lineup than Tierney. DJ could always spin the lines like a one-arm bandit to see what might work if scoring drops or lines prove to be defensively challenged.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yep, for sure it wouldn’t be quite like I posted and assumptions have been made that may likely never come to be…lots of options with that set up imo

I know it’s not popular but the team doesn’t need Chabot beyond 3 years (or prob can’t afford him or $10 million of the next crop like Greig, Boucher etc ) . I think Brann and Sanderson could handle PP1 and PP2 … unless Brann gets moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad