Line Combos: 2021-2022 depth chart and lines projections

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I can't find the article now, but when dj smith was talking about his extension, he said he knew of a couple of forwards pierre was working on. It's almost certain we're not done.

I realize this isnt specifically what the comment means, but DJ has coached the following available players:

- Adam Henrique, Windsor
- Zack Kassian, Windsor
- Richard Panik, Windsor
- Tom Kuhnhackl, Windor
- Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa
- Haydn Fleury, Oshawa
- Jake Virtanen, Oshawa
- Slater Koekkoek, Oshawa (he's also dating an Ottawa girl)
- Max Domi, Oshawa
- Dakota Mermis, Oshawa
- Michael McCarron, Oshawa
- Cliff Pu, Oshawa
- Tyler Ennis, Toronto/Ottawa
- Tyler Bozak, Toronto
- Leo Komarov, Toronto
- Freddy Gauthier, Toronto
- Michael Grabner, Toronto

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I get the “continue without supporting us” guilt trip message every time I open the site….
Lol, that's not a bad solution, you can opt in for sites you want to support (and who's ads aren't too intrusive).

Never used duck duck go, Opera isn't bad as an alternative to chrome, and Firefox for those trying to avoid the big players. Brave is supposed to be good too but I haven't tried it.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I realize this isnt specifically what the comment means, but DJ has coached the following available players:

- Adam Henrique, Windsor
- Zack Kassian, Windsor
- Richard Panik, Windsor
- Tom Kuhnhackl, Windor
- Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa
- Haydn Fleury, Oshawa
- Jake Virtanen, Oshawa
- Slater Koekkoek, Oshawa (he's also dating an Ottawa girl)
- Max Domi, Oshawa
- Dakota Mermis, Oshawa
- Michael McCarron, Oshawa
- Cliff Pu, Oshawa
- Tyler Ennis, Toronto/Ottawa
- Tyler Bozak, Toronto
- Leo Komarov, Toronto
- Freddy Gauthier, Toronto
- Michael Grabner, Toronto

He seemed pleased to say it. I would imagine someone on this list is a soon-to-be Senator. Unfortunately none of these move the needle too much.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't think they need an upgrade at centre. Once Tierny is moved out, White takes his 4th line centre spot & Kelly will get his opportunity at 3rd line RW even though he's a left shot. I expect that Soko will also get some games & will challenge Kelly for that spot probably after the TDL next season.

If PD does make another deal my guess it's a minor league deal or depth deal for another UFA they will try & move at the deadline. They have 12 picks right now for the 2022 draft & some assets they could move, they will have lots of options available for PD in that draft. They should acquire a few more assets this yr if they are able to deal a few of their UFAs.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson - I don't see this line changing
Stutzle - Pinto - C. Brown - Pinto is more NHL ready than every other C
Paul - L. Brown - White - White gets this spot until Tierny is dealt
Formenton - Tierny - Watson/Kelly - Forms stays, he has earned it

Chabot - Zaitsev - with 3 yrs left I doubt Zaitsev is replaced this yr
MDZ - Zub - they signed MDZ they'll play him & Zub just signed
Holden - J. Brown/Mete - they traded for Holden, I imagine they'll play him

Murray - Forsberg - Forsberg most likely will be dealt at the TDL & replaced by Gus

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDebater

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - (Trade) - C.Brown
Formenton - Paul - White
(Trade) - Kelly/Bishop - Watson
Kelly/Bishop/Shaw

Chabot - Zaitsev
Del Zotto - Zub
Brann - J.Brown
Holden

Murray
Forsberg

This is what I'd bet on the opening night lineup looking like. I anticipate them shipping out some combination of Tierney, L.Brown, Mete, Abramov (rights) and picks for a C "upgrade". If they can't find a taker for Tierney he can center the 4th line with Kelly/Bishop on LW.

The one potential major wrinkle here is Shane Pinto playing his way onto the team. I kind of lean towards the team starting him in Belleville and making him play his way back up, but he clearly has the ability to be a top-nine option on this team. In that scenario Formenton starts on the 4th line and Pinto gets to play with Stutzle/Brown or Paul/White.

I like this alot. I massively agree with sliding Paul to C. IIRC, he was drafted as a C.

Even if we somehow don't end up making any other moves and give Tierney or L Brown another shot at the 2c.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't think they need an upgrade at centre. Once Tierny is moved out, White takes his 4th line centre spot & Kelly will get his opportunity at 3rd line RW even though he's a left shot. I expect that Soko will also get some games & will challenge Kelly for that spot probably after the TDL next season.

If PD does make another deal my guess it's a minor league deal or depth deal for another UFA they will try & move at the deadline. They have 12 picks right now for the 2022 draft & some assets they could move, they will have lots of options available for PD in that draft. They should acquire a few more assets this yr if they are able to deal a few of their UFAs.

Mete - Zub - they liked Mete last yr & Zub just signed they could play together
Holden - J. Brown - they signed Holden I imagine they'll play him

Murray - Forsberg - Forsberg most likely will be dealt at the TDL & replaced by Gus

Just a correction, they traded for Holden, they didn't sign him. They signed MDZ

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

Mete - Zub - they liked Mete last yr & Zub just signed they could play together
Holden - J. Brown - they signed Holden I imagine they'll play him

They signed MDZ, they got Holden in the Dadonov trade (likely more as a throw in for cap than anything). The rest I mostly agree with, though I think Brann gets played over the other two guys acquired this offseason unless he comes into camp playing like crap or someone on defence gets moved out. Holden is a 7th or 8th D and could honestly end up playing in Belleville, he only played 17 games last year for Vegas and was taxi squad for most of the season.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Stutzle kinda lived his sophomore slump at the latter end of last season. I think he takes a step forward next season. We need to add another forward... unless the plan is to switch White to RW.

Don't be so sure about that.

82 NHL games are one hell of a shock to the system for the kids. Quite a few need a few runs at it before getting over the hump. He hasn't done it once yet.

We need to give these kids a bit of leeway to take a step back next year. There's a double whammy coming of a full NHL season and they lost that luxury of being 'unknown elements' to opposing teams. There's definitely going to be some really rough stretches next year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

82 NHL games are one hell of a shock to the system for the kids. Quite a few need a few runs at it before getting over the hump. He hasn't done it once yet.

We need to give these kids a bit of leeway to take a step back next year. There's a double whammy coming of a full NHL season and they lost that luxury of being 'unknown elements' to opposing teams. There's definitely going to be some really rough stretches next year.

I know 82 NHL games is a shock, but believe me when I tell you that 53 NHL games with an even shorter time span between games than a regular non-covid season is a shock as well. That’s why we saw Jimmy fade off towards the middle-end of the season.

Anyways it’s just my 2 cents. He’s our most talented player since Spezza and has great hockey IQ, I think last season was a great stepping stone and he will take a step forward.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

While I absolutely agree there is two things that might also factor into staving off sophmore slumps. The first being we will only be playing two teams regularly who actually had games against the Sens. And second, and this is only regarding Stü, I kind of wonder if he played through more than a couple of injuries. I seem to recall his first couple of games at the WJC him looking like an absolute force and wrecking ball and then after a weird hit against Canada into the boards playing a bit more reserved for the rest of the tournament and then into the season. This is pure speculation but I think he could be up for a huge breakout year if he is fully healthy, has a solid offseason of training, and now understands how physical the league will be.

Should be an interesting development year to say the least.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I really liked the Stutzle Pinto Brown line to be honest.

Pinto going to the AHL wouldnt hurt for sure depending on what kind of camp he has, but he looked good I thought last season.

We’re still very average I was optimistic ahead of the off-season but this roster as is is still bottom 10.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just a correction, they traded for Holden, they didn't sign him. They signed MDZ
Thanks. I made a few corrections of things I thought I wrote then found I wrote something else, it's not an age think, right? ;)

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I better not see Zaitsev in our top 4 this year, or better yet not see him at all in this line up!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I better not see Zaitsev in our top 4 this year, or better yet not see him at all in this line up!
Who has more experience & is better right now to replace him? And let's not forget he came here with DJ.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Tkachuk-norris-batherson
Stutzle-pinto-cbrown
Paul-lbrown-white
Formenton-tierney-watson

Chabot-zaitsev
Brannstrom-zub
Mete- del Zotto
Holden-jbrown

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Ad