Line Combos: 2021-2022 depth chart and lines projections

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Well, let's see what happens. If JBD has to slot in because MDZ is weak before the end of the year, then you have to wonder if it wasn't a Stepan 2.0 scenario again.

Well … it sorta is but we are paying $2 mill and didn’t burn a 2ND rounder. The Sens look okay spending $4.5 total on Brown, MDZ, and Holden who insulate a bunch of ELC’s.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The thing is that the NHL team needs defensemen who can move the puck just as much, if not more, than the AHL team. IN the AHL at least you can hope that JBD and Thomson might be puck movers at that level given that they showed offense at lower levels.

In the NHL, as puck movers we have Chabot and Brannstrom. That's it.

Defensive depth. GOOD defensive depth is still a problem for the organization.

MDZ and Mete can move the puck. You also have to get to the puck or take the puck away to move it.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
MDZ and Mete can move the puck. You also have to get to the puck or take the puck away to move it.

At this point MDZ and Mete are offensive black holes. Do you really think that either one is suited to run the second unit of an NHL powerplay, for example?

Mete is a good at getting the puck out but it sure seemed to stop there last year. MDZ is just a middle of the road bottom pairing player who is 31 years old and declining. He's not the puck mover he was drafted to be at this point. If either of these two are regularly playing on our PP we are going to have one of the worst PPs in the league.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At this point MDZ and Mete are offensive black holes. Do you really think that either one is suited to run the second unit of an NHL powerplay, for example?

Mete is a good at getting the puck out but it sure seemed to stop there last year. MDZ is just a middle of the road bottom pairing player who is 31 years old and declining. He's not the puck mover he was drafted to be at this point. If either of these two are regularly playing on our PP we are going to have one of the worst PPs in the league.

The post I quoted did not mention the PP.. Almost everyone concedes Brannstrom is good offensively , particularly in the Ozone and he does a good job of running the PP... Virtually no one questions that part of his game.

Generally when I think PMDs I am thinking moving the puck out with control and transitioning from defense to offense.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The post I quoted did not mention the PP.. Almost everyone concedes Brannstrom is good offensively , particularly in the Ozone and he does a good job of running the PP... Virtually no one questions that part of his game

I would consider offensive play as an integral part of "puck moving" though, wouldn't you?

If our D is

Chabot
Zait
Zub
Holden
MDZ
Mete/Brown

I think we'll struggle to score more than we should. Zub might have some untapped offensive potential but basically if Chabot is off the ice we have no threat from the blueline, at even strength or on the PP.

Even with the struggles of a 21 year old rookie D, Brannstrom was a +3 in 30 games last year. It's not a perfect stat obviously but it's not like we got lit up with him on the ice. Andhe can provide offensive play that no one on the team comes even close to, outside of Chabot.

To me if the likes of Holden, MDZ, Mete and Brown all make the team ahead of Brannstrom it's a clear sign that DJ learned nothing from the start of last season. It would be a huge mistake.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would consider offensive play as an integral part of "puck moving" though, wouldn't you?

If our D is

Chabot
Zait
Zub
Holden
MDZ
Mete/Brown

I think we'll struggle to score more than we should. Zub might have some untapped offensive potential but basically if Chabot is off the ice we have no threat from the blueline, at even strength or on the PP.

Even with the struggles of a 21 year old rookie D, Brannstrom was a +3 in 30 games last year. It's not a perfect stat obviously but it's not like we got lit up with him on the ice. Andhe can provide offensive play that no one on the team comes even close to, outside of Chabot.

To me if the likes of Holden, MDZ, Mete and Brown all make the team ahead of Brannstrom it's a clear sign that DJ learned nothing from the start of last season. It would be a huge mistake.
On the PP particularly yes.

Again I think if it was just an offense first evaluation, Brannstrom would have no issues , he may not anyway.,.. but If you are expected to play a 2nd pair role you need to be able to defend. Again , I don't think anyone is questioning his offense.. Its his defense that concerns some of us.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On the PP particularly yes.

Again I think if it was just an offense first evaluation, Brannstrom would have no issues , he may not anyway.,.. but If you are expected to play a 2nd pair role you need to be able to defend. Again , I don't think anyone is questioning his offense.. Its his defense that concerns some of us.

I think Brannstrom on the 2nd pair depends on the bottom pair being more trusted defensively. If we can run with a bottom pair that doesn't give up much and can match up against top lines, there's more room for an offensive minded 2nd pair, this works even better with your #1D is a good shutdown guy too.

We don't have the ideal setup from Brannstrom in the top 4 though, no disrespect to Chabot and his defensive game but he isn't the guy you match up against elite offensive players ever chance you get.

I suspect a more ideal role for Brannstrom is the one we had for Corvo and Priessing. Corvo was getting 18 mins a night, but was on the bottom pair. Best case for Brannstrom is to play the second fiddle role like Mesaros did if he's in the top 4, but we don't have a prime Redden on this team that plays RD so not seeing much of a fit

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think Brannstrom on the 2nd pair depends on the bottom pair being more trusted defensively. If we can run with a bottom pair that doesn't give up much and can match up against top lines, there's more room for an offensive minded 2nd pair, this works even better with your #1D is a good shutdown guy too.

We don't have the ideal setup from Brannstrom in the top 4 though, no disrespect to Chabot and his defensive game but he isn't the guy you match up against elite offensive players ever chance you get.

I suspect a more ideal role for Brannstrom is the one we had for Corvo and Priessing. Corvo was getting 18 mins a night, but was on the bottom pair. Best case for Brannstrom is to play the second fiddle role like Mesaros did if he's in the top 4, but we don't have a prime Redden on this team that plays RD so not seeing much of a fit

I agree that having a 3rd pairing that is not a liability is important to shelter ANY young D coming into the top 4. They are going to have bad nights and it just makes sense to have depth so they can play less minutes on those nights.

As for the Chabot thing I think he gets thrown out there in tonnes of situations for 26 minutes a night, so matchups or not there's not much else he can offer. I do think the situation would be better if he had a better partner but that won't happen this year barring injury or a major trade.

But with our current situation I think Zub and Brannstrom is our best bet as a second pairing. Ideally for the long term I'd like to see Brann on the right side beside Sanderson.

Chabot - Zub/JBD
Sanderson - Brannstrom

In 2-3 years I think that's a really good top 4. If we're nursing a lead you can move Zub/JBD onto the Sanderson pairing. If we need a goal you move Brannstrom up to play with Chabot. To me that offers the most flexibility and two way play from both top pairings.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree that having a 3rd pairing that is not a liability is important to shelter ANY young D coming into the top 4. They are going to have bad nights and it just makes sense to have depth so they can play less minutes on those nights.

As for the Chabot thing I think he gets thrown out there in tonnes of situations for 26 minutes a night, so matchups or not there's not much else he can offer. I do think the situation would be better if he had a better partner but that won't happen this year barring injury or a major trade.

But with our current situation I think Zub and Brannstrom is our best bet as a second pairing. Ideally for the long term I'd like to see Brann on the right side beside Sanderson.

Chabot - Zub/JBD
Sanderson - Brannstrom

In 2-3 years I think that's a really good top 4. If we're nursing a lead you can move Zub/JBD onto the Sanderson pairing. If we need a goal you move Brannstrom up to play with Chabot. To me that offers the most flexibility and two way play from both top pairings.

I'm not sure we have a better option than Brannstrom and Zub, and imo we overplay Chabot as a result.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Have to see how it goes... Brannstrom is young and developing so he should be improving on his weaknesses. He has competition but its not insurmountable if he has taken another step or two. I am assuming he will need to impress and re-earn/earn DJ's and Caps trust. Getting paired with Zub would be ideal for him. Can he be paired with Brown and hold his own?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Have to see how it goes... Brannstrom is young and developing so he should be improving on his weaknesses. He has competition but its not insurmountable if he has taken another step or two. I am assuming he will need to impress and re-earn/earn DJ's and Caps trust. Getting paired with Zub would be ideal for him. Can he be paired with Brown and hold his own?

If we are playing Brannstrom on the bottom pair, I might try him with DelZotto on the right side, they'd be a little better suited for taking advantage of matchups but it would probably depend on who we are facing

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If we are playing Brannstrom on the bottom pair, I might try him with DelZotto on the right side, they'd be a little better suited for taking advantage of matchups but it would probably depend on who we are facing
I really don't know how MDZ is compared to Josh Brown enough to gauge that at this time, but that could make sense. Mete played with Brown I believe for the most part. That pair did alright.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I really don't know how MDZ is compared to Josh Brown enough to gauge that at this time, but that could make sense. Mete played with Brown I believe for the most part. That pair did alright.

Mete and Brown were fine as a 3rd pairing to end the year. Brown is not a problem as a 6-7 D I think but he can't carry even a 14 minute a night pairing. Him and Coburn on the ice together last year was the stuff of nightmares.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well … it sorta is but we are paying $2 mill and didn’t burn a 2ND rounder. The Sens look okay spending $4.5 total on Brown, MDZ, and Holden who insulate a bunch of ELC’s.
I didn't say we did. Maybe the Stepan version 2.0 is what got you confused. In other words, MDZ turns out the same as Stepan.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The more I mull over the idea, the more I would not mind keeping the roster we have. Stutzle imo is going to explode next year and Pinto could compete for the Calder.

I feel though that management know how instrumental next year is for development and wouldn't want to risk our C's crashing so we'll trade Tierney and bring in Strome.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I am going to put a forward back on the point like we did back in the day!

All this debate is really valid and Chabot and Sanderson are going to be our PP threats but who we pair them with is a question.

This season is going to be a trail by fire and we are just probably going to be happy with proper O-Zone entry and cycling.

I don't see Mete, Brown, Zait or MDZ as long term roles on this team so we just need to stop gap. Who knows maybe Holden surprises us...lol

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
By the end of next year and in to 2022-2023 the LD side will have (should have) Chabot, Sanderson and Kleven locked in. RD will have Zub, Zaitsev and hopefully Bernard-Docker.
That leaves Mete, Brannstrom, Brown, Del Zotto, Holden looking for a place, before we get to Thomson, Roger, Romeo and the rest.

Lots to think about when considering who to trade, who is tradable and at what level plus when to trade. I think its a given that someone from that last group will need to be flipped to maximize value.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
By the end of next year and in to 2022-2023 the LD side will have (should have) Chabot, Sanderson and Kleven locked in. RD will have Zub, Zaitsev and hopefully Bernard-Docker.
That leaves Mete, Brannstrom, Brown, Del Zotto, Holden looking for a place, before we get to Thomson, Roger, Romeo and the rest.

Lots to think about when considering who to trade, who is tradable and at what level plus when to trade. I think its a given that someone from that last group will need to be flipped to maximize value.

I think Kleven is more than one year away

In my mind, there's a win now versus development debate to be had. In order for JBD and Thomson to get prime opportunity in Belleville we can't have Brannstrom there consuming 20 minutes a night of prime ice time. Having someone play ahead of Brannstrom here also causing Brannstrom to move to Belleville slows development there to.

I think the 2nd pair is Brannstrom and Zub. 3rd pair is MDZ and a steady mix of Holden and Brown. Mete getting time in the lineup covering of injury

MDZ is a vet. here to mentor and insulate. Holden is a part timer. Brown is a part timer.

Brannstrom in my mind has a future over Mete and even in the event he may not have a place on this team by the 23/24 season, maximizing his opportunity maximizes his return. If Brannstrom establishes himself in a top 4 role and with pp qb ability (which i think he'smore likely to do than Mete), if we move him because of an abundance of talent, we're moving a 23 year old top 4 and the return on that is high. I don't think there's any credible scenario where another D that we want to move on from returns the same level of asset.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
By Xmas, no acquisitions.

Brady Logan Brown
Jimmy Norris Bath
Paul Pinto Sokolov
Form Tierney Watson

Paul and Tierney get traded at the deadline.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The more I mull over the idea, the more I would not mind keeping the roster we have. Stutzle imo is going to explode next year and Pinto could compete for the Calder.

I feel though that management know how instrumental next year is for development and wouldn't want to risk our C's crashing so we'll trade Tierney and bring in Strome.

Yeah, I don’t really want to trade any of our young guys who have a bright future. I really think this team could be very good in 2-3 years.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bruicie G's lineup
OTTAWA SENATORS

PROJECTED ROSTER
GOALTENDERS

Matt Murray
Anton Forsberg
Filip Gustavsson
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Thomas Chabot- Nikita Zaitsev
Michael Del Zotto -Artem Zub
Victor Mete-Nick Holden
Erik Brannstrom-Josh Brown
FORWARD LINES
Brady Tkachuk-Josh Norris-Drake Batherson
Tim Stuetzle-Colin White-Connor Brown
Nick Paul-Shane Pinto-TBD
Alex Formenton -Chris Tierney-Austin Watson
Logan Brown-Ridly Greig

If they don't add anyone I would not mind seeing Formenton on a line with Paul and Pinto; and Parker Kelly going into the 4th line spot

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Bruicie G's lineup
OTTAWA SENATORS

PROJECTED ROSTER
GOALTENDERS

Matt Murray
Anton Forsberg
Filip Gustavsson
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Thomas Chabot- Nikita Zaitsev
Michael Del Zotto -Artem Zub
Victor Mete-Nick Holden
Erik Brannstrom-Josh Brown
FORWARD LINES
Brady Tkachuk-Josh Norris-Drake Batherson
Tim Stuetzle-Colin White-Connor Brown
Nick Paul-Shane Pinto-TBD
Alex Formenton -Chris Tierney-Austin Watson
Logan Brown-Ridly Greig

If they don't add anyone I would not mind seeing Formenton on a line with Paul and Pinto; and Parker Kelly going into the 4th line spot
I suspect White to be one of the best players this upcoming training camp,He needs to finally establish a role for himself...Its time

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I suspect White to be one of the best players this upcoming training camp,He needs to finally establish a role for himself...Its time

I don’t … I expect Brady, Bath, Norris, Chabot or whoever to be one of the best players at camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad