2020 World Juniors

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'm guessing I've missed the boat, but does anyone know of any resale sites for tickets for this tournament?
Best bet at this stage would probably to go with one of the tour companies. Even if you find tickets, there aren't a lot of options left for accommodation.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Any possibility of Alex Newhook making the team? It would seem that he would have to be considered after his performance for Canada at the recent U18s.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
What would the the best option, fly to Prague and get to ostrava by train/ bus or would fly in to Katowice and get the train or bus from there be better?

I saw that sazka sells tickets but sre those only available on site and not online?

Katovice or Krakow is probably better - rent a Car drive to Ostrava, from Prague by train is also good, 3hrs or so by train and trains are quite good
It will depend more on your flight options to be honest

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Katovice or Krakow is probably better - rent a Car drive to Ostrava, from Prague by train is also good, 3hrs or so by train and trains are quite good
It will depend more on your flight options to be honest

Kraków is the better option of those two cities. They have a metro that will take you from the airport to the city Center for pennies. In Katowice you can expect to pay a minimum of $50 for the short ride from the airport to the city Center, regardless of whether you choose a bus, taxi etc. Also, Katowice is a dump, but that is neither here nor there.

redmachine01

Jul 21, 2019
Hi to all! Can anyone please advise where will be teams benches (from scheme attached)? I supose the teams will sit under sectors D and A, is it correct?
And the next quostion - the game #12 USA - Russia, is it means that starting sides will be US - left and Russia - right (according to iihf tickets scheme attached)?
Thanky you in advance.
ostrava.jpg

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I've never been in Ostrava but seeing some video and pictures from the arena I'm pretty sure that benches are on A/D side.

However which team is on which side depends usually on how they place teams' dressing rooms. A team will use same dressing room as long as team stays on the spot. Basically home team gets the best and then teams get by their ranking which in this case should be last year's standings, so the order in Ostrava would be as follows:

1. Czech Republic
2. USA
3. Russia
4. Canada
5. Germany

The local home team, Vitkovice, seems to have "left" bench which means they attack towards C1 in first and third period. Presumably that means the same for Czech Republic in that case.

I would assume visiting dressing room to be second best so that would be natural selection for USA. That would make it more likely that USA could be attacking towards C2 in 1st and 3rd period every game.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
From last year I have examples on dressing room locations from two tournaments - U18 in Umeå and WWC in Espoo

In Espoo, the order was USA-Switzerland-Russia-Canada-Finland. So USA and Finland were attacking in the same directions every game while other had to change it depending on the opponent.

Similarly in Umeå, the order was Switzerland-Belarus-Czech Republic-Canada-Finland.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'm sure quite a few of us doubled up for the quarter finals and bought tickets for both venues to ensure we see our respective countries. Is there anywhere we'd be able to donate our unused tickets to? Would be nice if we could send a few kids to watch a game they wouldn't be able to go see.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson is likely Canada's captain if he doesn't make the Islanders, if not him then I'd have to guess either Veleno or Lafreniere.

With the way things are looking, Dobson doesn't look like he'll be available for Canada. Trotz has had him playing with multiple defense partners to see how he handles the consistent 20+ minutes in every game, he's looked very good. The kid is looking legit.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, it looks like WJCs are becoming more and more popular with each new year. At least in Europe (not sure about America), because in Canada it's been quite popular for a couple of dozen years now.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, it looks like WJCs are becoming more and more popular with each new year. At least in Europe (not sure about America), because in Canada it's been quite popular for a couple of dozen years now.

They often host it near the border in the States.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
So excited for this year's tournament. Growing up, I have memories of watching the games in late-morning or really odd times (ex: 3-4am in 2013 when it was in Ufa, Russia). Always brings back great memories of the holiday season and so much nostalgia. It's been a drag to have the games in prime-time for so many years with 2015 & 2017 tournaments in Toronto & Montreal, 2018 in Buffalo, and 2019 in Vancouver. I love watching these games in mid-day and can't wait for this year's tournament. Looks like the games will be at 10AM and 2PM EST!

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
So excited for this year's tournament. Growing up, I have memories of watching the games in late-morning or really odd times (ex: 3-4am in 2013 when it was in Ufa, Russia). Always brings back great memories of the holiday season and so much nostalgia. It's been a drag to have the games in prime-time for so many years with 2015 & 2017 tournaments in Toronto & Montreal, 2018 in Buffalo, and 2019 in Vancouver. I love watching these games in mid-day and can't wait for this year's tournament. Looks like the games will be at 10AM and 2PM EST!
As a west coaster, I probably drove my parents nuts for waking up to watch at 5am. Nostalgia or not, it's been kind of nice having the games at an hour I'm able to watch during the work week; social media has unfortunately wrecked the possibility of recording the game and watching it later. Regardless, it's good for the game to have the tournament over in Europe and attendance should be pretty good this year; some games are already sold out. It's also nice to have the tickets at a more reasonable price, although annoying that it's costing me about the same to travel for the tournament as it did for me to watch the tournament in my own backyard (with hotel for 3 nights in Vancouver to catch a couple of Canada's round-robin games). Beyond excited to get this under way.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
As a west coaster, I probably drove my parents nuts for waking up to watch at 5am. Nostalgia or not, it's been kind of nice having the games at an hour I'm able to watch during the work week; social media has unfortunately wrecked the possibility of recording the game and watching it later. Regardless, it's good for the game to have the tournament over in Europe and attendance should be pretty good this year; some games are already sold out. It's also nice to have the tickets at a more reasonable price, although annoying that it's costing me about the same to travel for the tournament as it did for me to watch the tournament in my own backyard (with hotel for 3 nights in Vancouver to catch a couple of Canada's round-robin games). Beyond excited to get this under way.
I have fond memories of getting up at 5 a.m to watch those games. The big ice,European atmosphere and the crowds always being against us and the fact we still knew a lot less about the European players back in those days all added to the mystery and allure. Beating the Europeans on their home ice was always so sweet(still is), the icing on the cake.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
I'm trying to figure out how to best get between Katowice airport and ostrava. Anyone who knows? Would have been good if there was direct transfer. Most sites I search for are in Czech and it seems to be generally messy. Sometimes the trains stop in "Bohumin" and sometimes go to "Svinov" ....

Also, I wonder if there is any convenient way to go between the two arenas in Trinec and Ostrava

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
I'm trying to figure out how to best get between Katowice airport and ostrava. Anyone who knows? Would have been good if there was direct transfer. Most sites I search for are in Czech and it seems to be generally messy. Sometimes the trains stop in "Bohumin" and sometimes go to "Svinov" ....

Also, I wonder if there is any convenient way to go between the two arenas in Trinec and Ostrava

The direct connection between Katowice airport and Ostrava is abysmal. I think only Leo Express is offering this and only three times a day. It's a really small bus so not many seats available. Also you should definitely go to Svinov. You can take a tram from there which stops in front of the arena.

Trains between Ostrava and Trinec run every hour I think.

Reactions: Jeb99

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Looking likely I'll be in Prague for Christmas, which leads me to two questions:
1) Are there ticket re-sellers that would not cost me both my legs? and
2) Assuming I could scrounge up some tickets, is it possible to get a train from Prague to Ostrava and back in one day? An overnight in Ostrava is theoretically possible, but I am keeping my options open.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
What will the ice-rink size be at this tournament. From what I know, IIHF is moving its tournaments to smaller rinks. So does anyone know anything about this WJC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad