2020 World Juniors

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Rob, Jan 5, 2019.

1. WooTangClan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Best bet at this stage would probably to go with one of the tour companies. Even if you find tickets, there aren't a lot of options left for accommodation.

2. Goulet17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Any possibility of Alex Newhook making the team? It would seem that he would have to be considered after his performance for Canada at the recent U18s.

3. Raimo Sillanpää Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Katovice or Krakow is probably better - rent a Car drive to Ostrava, from Prague by train is also good, 3hrs or so by train and trains are quite good
    It will depend more on your flight options to be honest

4. TheGoldenJet Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Kraków is the better option of those two cities. They have a metro that will take you from the airport to the city Center for pennies. In Katowice you can expect to pay a minimum of $50 for the short ride from the airport to the city Center, regardless of whether you choose a bus, taxi etc. Also, Katowice is a dump, but that is neither here nor there.

5. redmachine01 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Hi to all! Can anyone please advise where will be teams benches (from scheme attached)? I supose the teams will sit under sectors D and A, is it correct?
    And the next quostion - the game #12 USA - Russia, is it means that starting sides will be US - left and Russia - right (according to iihf tickets scheme attached)?
    Thanky you in advance. ostrava.jpg

6. ES Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I've never been in Ostrava but seeing some video and pictures from the arena I'm pretty sure that benches are on A/D side.

However which team is on which side depends usually on how they place teams' dressing rooms. A team will use same dressing room as long as team stays on the spot. Basically home team gets the best and then teams get by their ranking which in this case should be last year's standings, so the order in Ostrava would be as follows:

1. Czech Republic
    2. USA
    3. Russia
    4. Canada
    5. Germany

The local home team, Vitkovice, seems to have "left" bench which means they attack towards C1 in first and third period. Presumably that means the same for Czech Republic in that case.

I would assume visiting dressing room to be second best so that would be natural selection for USA. That would make it more likely that USA could be attacking towards C2 in 1st and 3rd period every game.

Connor McDaigle and redmachine01 like this.
  7. ES Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    From last year I have examples on dressing room locations from two tournaments - U18 in Umeå and WWC in Espoo

In Espoo, the order was USA-Switzerland-Russia-Canada-Finland. So USA and Finland were attacking in the same directions every game while other had to change it depending on the opponent.

Similarly in Umeå, the order was Switzerland-Belarus-Czech Republic-Canada-Finland.

Connor McDaigle likes this.
  8. WooTangClan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I'm sure quite a few of us doubled up for the quarter finals and bought tickets for both venues to ensure we see our respective countries. Is there anywhere we'd be able to donate our unused tickets to? Would be nice if we could send a few kids to watch a game they wouldn't be able to go see.

9. tony d Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Office Worker
    Re; Newhook. I think he makes the jr. team. He's quite the talent.

Dominance likes this.
  10. WooTangClan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    More tickets go on sale Monday at 11am Czech time as per the tournament's FB.

Connor McDaigle likes this.
  11. DudeWhereIsMakar Bergevin sent me an offer sheet

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Dobson is likely Canada's captain if he doesn't make the Islanders, if not him then I'd have to guess either Veleno or Lafreniere.

hockey20000 and Dominance like this.
  12. PWJunior Stay safe!

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    With the way things are looking, Dobson doesn't look like he'll be available for Canada. Trotz has had him playing with multiple defense partners to see how he handles the consistent 20+ minutes in every game, he's looked very good. The kid is looking legit.

13. Kshahdoo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Well, it looks like WJCs are becoming more and more popular with each new year. At least in Europe (not sure about America), because in Canada it's been quite popular for a couple of dozen years now.

14. NyQuil F.Y.O.U.S.

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    They often host it near the border in the States.

15. novisor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    So excited for this year's tournament. Growing up, I have memories of watching the games in late-morning or really odd times (ex: 3-4am in 2013 when it was in Ufa, Russia). Always brings back great memories of the holiday season and so much nostalgia. It's been a drag to have the games in prime-time for so many years with 2015 & 2017 tournaments in Toronto & Montreal, 2018 in Buffalo, and 2019 in Vancouver. I love watching these games in mid-day and can't wait for this year's tournament. Looks like the games will be at 10AM and 2PM EST!

ETTHAKING67 likes this.
  16. WooTangClan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    As a west coaster, I probably drove my parents nuts for waking up to watch at 5am. Nostalgia or not, it's been kind of nice having the games at an hour I'm able to watch during the work week; social media has unfortunately wrecked the possibility of recording the game and watching it later. Regardless, it's good for the game to have the tournament over in Europe and attendance should be pretty good this year; some games are already sold out. It's also nice to have the tickets at a more reasonable price, although annoying that it's costing me about the same to travel for the tournament as it did for me to watch the tournament in my own backyard (with hotel for 3 nights in Vancouver to catch a couple of Canada's round-robin games). Beyond excited to get this under way.

jj cale likes this.
  17. jj cale Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I have fond memories of getting up at 5 a.m to watch those games. The big ice,European atmosphere and the crowds always being against us and the fact we still knew a lot less about the European players back in those days all added to the mystery and allure. Beating the Europeans on their home ice was always so sweet(still is), the icing on the cake.

ETTHAKING67 likes this.
  18. Jeb99 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I'm trying to figure out how to best get between Katowice airport and ostrava. Anyone who knows? Would have been good if there was direct transfer. Most sites I search for are in Czech and it seems to be generally messy. Sometimes the trains stop in "Bohumin" and sometimes go to "Svinov" ....

Also, I wonder if there is any convenient way to go between the two arenas in Trinec and Ostrava

19. dresi Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    The direct connection between Katowice airport and Ostrava is abysmal. I think only Leo Express is offering this and only three times a day. It's a really small bus so not many seats available. Also you should definitely go to Svinov. You can take a tram from there which stops in front of the arena.

Trains between Ostrava and Trinec run every hour I think.

Jeb99 likes this.
  20. MeHateHe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Looking likely I'll be in Prague for Christmas, which leads me to two questions:
    1) Are there ticket re-sellers that would not cost me both my legs? and
    2) Assuming I could scrounge up some tickets, is it possible to get a train from Prague to Ostrava and back in one day? An overnight in Ostrava is theoretically possible, but I am keeping my options open.

21. Sens of Anarchy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Going to be tough to come out of Group B

TheGoldenJet likes this.
  22. WooTangClan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I kinda like it. Every game in that group will be meaningful, with lots of clashes between historical rivals. If nothing else, it'll be good for attendance

23. bagsw Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    What will the ice-rink size be at this tournament. From what I know, IIHF is moving its tournaments to smaller rinks. So does anyone know anything about this WJC?

24. king89 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Big ice.

25. hockey20000 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    medal favorites thi s year?