2020 World Juniors

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Canada's probably looking at a 1-3 round robin record and elimination in the quarter-final round, and may be forced to stare the possibility of playing in the relegation game in the face.

Unless they get a pillbox-defence roster full of 6' 5'' tall 17 year olds to play next year, Canada may be in a hell of a lot of trouble.

=/
Canada isn’t going anywhere near relegation. Unless Germany pulls off a few upset wins

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Canada isn’t going anywhere near relegation. Unless Germany pulls off a few upset wins

Yeah, even though Germany should have their best squad since the Draisaitl years, they should finish last in this group, unless one of the other teams really screws up.

If we don't miss anyone we should have a really good goalie (Hendrik Hane), a top notch defenseman (Moritz Seider) and a couple of strong forwards (Dominik Bokk and Tim Stützle).
Despite the tough group (and a little bit because of it) I am really looking forward to this tournament.

Reactions: Rob

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Group A:
Finland
Switzerland
Sweden
Slovakia
Kazakhstan

Group B:
USA
Russia
Canada
Czech Republic
Germany

Note - Being held in the Czech Republic

Group B is the Group of Death for sure. I wonder though if CZE will choose to have Slovakia move into their group for the geography/historical rival aspect. If CZE does bring Slovakia to Group B, who would move out of B and into Group A?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Group B is the Group of Death for sure. I wonder though if CZE will choose to have Slovakia move into their group for the geography/historical rival aspect. If CZE does bring Slovakia to Group B, who would move out of B and into Group A?
One of Canada, USA, or Russia. Id lean towards Russia being moved to A.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Yeah, even though Germany should have their best squad since the Draisaitl years, they should finish last in this group, unless one of the other teams really screws up.

If we don't miss anyone we should have a really good goalie (Hendrik Hane), a top notch defenseman (Moritz Seider) and a couple of strong forwards (Dominik Bokk and Tim Stützle).
Despite the tough group (and a little bit because of it) I am really looking forward to this tournament.
Yes right! Good generation,but not good enough for an upset. The U20 A-Level is extemly hard. Most promoted teams has very few chanes in A-Group. Germany could be lucky when they win the relegations round vs KAZ(most probably)

Reactions: Rob

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I wonder though if CZE will choose to have Slovakia move into their group for the geography/historical rival aspect. If CZE does bring Slovakia to Group B, who would move out of B and into Group A?
I don't see that happening. There is absolutely no incentive.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
You are right. Main thing is that Trinec needs some fans also. And this city is close to slovakian borders. There will be a lot of our fans.
Yes, both cities are very close to each other. If say, Prague, was one of the host cities I could see them assigning Slovakia into the other group.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Well at least they should be good enough to beat Kazakhstan in the relegation round.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Well at least they should be good enough to beat Kazakhstan in the relegation round.

I hope so, but a lot can happen between now and then, and I don't really know anything about the Kazakh team. I'm just happy they finally made it back and will get a shot to play against the best.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Yes, both cities are very close to each other. If say, Prague, was one of the host cities I could see them assigning Slovakia into the other group.

True, Czech Republic (after the split) has held men's World Champs twice and in both times Czech Republic has been in Prague and Slovakia in Ostrava.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I honestly think we may see the Czechs fighting to avoid relegation on home ice if those groups don't change. Germany arguably has a better team. High-end top talent but the depth is a question mark. This is their country's "Golden Generation" though, ala Finland. Hopefully they can make it count.

Reactions: wetcoast

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Group A:
Finland
Switzerland
Sweden
Slovakia
Kazakhstan

Group B:
USA
Russia
Canada
Czech Republic
Germany

Note - Being held in the Czech Republic
Alright, Germany, buckle up! Every point in this group will be crucial. No other team CAN take them easy. That will be a great tournament from my perspective as a russian fan. Appropriate game times, battle-like round robin games.

Reactions: Rob and Habs76

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Canada's probably looking at a 1-3 round robin record and elimination in the quarter-final round, and may be forced to stare the possibility of playing in the relegation game in the face.

Unless they get a pillbox-defence roster full of 6' 5'' tall 17 year olds to play next year, Canada may be in a hell of a lot of trouble.

=/

I highly doubt that as there are a lot of really great players coming from Canada in this years draft that won't be in the NHL next year.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm pumped. We've just booked our airbnb in Ostrava for next year. Never been to Europe, so I'm looking forward to it. Going from the 24th of December to the 7th of January I believe.

Heard that Czech is fairly inexpensive, especially coming from Canada.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, it is. Especially outside Prague (so in Ostrava as well) it is even more inexpensive.

I've been to hockey games in Hodonin, Brno, Pardubice, Liberec, Trinec, Kladno and Prague this past year and even in Prague it's relatively cheap compared to other countries.

You can get a beer and a hotdog for 3 euros at the game, in most of these places

LondonKnightsRule

Apr 19, 2018
London Ontario
My wife and I are heading to the Czech Republic for the WJ next December to cheer on the Maple Leaf. Looking forward to our European Trip. It should be a fun 2 weeks. Go Canada.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
What would the the best option, fly to Prague and get to ostrava by train/ bus or would fly in to Katowice and get the train or bus from there be better?

I saw that sazka sells tickets but sre those only available on site and not online?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad