2020 World Juniors

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Looks like we will have another "group of death" next year, but Austria will be the victim.

1 Russia/Canada
4 Finland/Sweden
5 Switzerland
8 Slovakia
9 Germany

2 Russia/Canada
3 Finland/Sweden
6 USA
7 Czech Republic
10 Austria

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Looks like we will have another "group of death" next year, but Austria will be the victim.

1 Russia/Canada
4 Finland/Sweden
5 Switzerland
8 Slovakia
9 Germany

2 Russia/Canada
3 Finland/Sweden
6 USA
7 Czech Republic
10 Austria
Updated. Finland and Sweden will be in different groups, same as Russia and Canada.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That looks a little more balanced. Germany should have a chance at third. Slovakia and Switzerland to battle for who goes to the relegation game. Austria will go to the relegation game, unless Rossi can beat the Czech’s on his own.

Reactions: FinPanda

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
That looks a little more balanced. Germany should have a chance at third. Slovakia and Switzerland to battle for who goes to the relegation game. Austria will go to the relegation game, unless Rossi can beat the Czech’s on his own.

Next year looks like it could be the first time where it’s quite plausible to see Slovakia having to play for relegation.

Reactions: FinPanda

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Next year looks like it could be the first time where it’s quite plausible to see Slovakia having to play for relegation.

I agree, but it looks like it’ll be a weak age group for Switzerland, as well. We also don’t know if Seider and Stuetzle will be available for Germany, so I think that group has three teams that plausibly may play for relegation.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I agree, but it looks like it’ll be a weak age group for Switzerland, as well. We also don’t know if Seider and Stuetzle will be available for Germany, so I think that group has three teams that plausibly may play for relegation.
It's also an extremely weak age group for Slovakia and German 01s are not that good either. Not good for hockey if Stutzle and Seider won't attend

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Anyone know the name of the that Euro dance song they played in the building throughout the tournament?

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada's probably looking at a 1-3 round robin record and elimination in the quarter-final round, and may be forced to stare the possibility of playing in the relegation game in the face.

Unless they get a pillbox-defence roster full of 6' 5'' tall 17 year olds to play next year, Canada may be in a hell of a lot of trouble.

=/
Rage on.

Reactions: tsnTpoint

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Canada the top hockey country at the WJC since 2010 (it was hands down Canada 2000-2010) with 3 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze

USA during that span has 3 gold, 1 silver, and 3 bronze
Russia 1 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze
Sweden 1 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze
Finland with 3 gold

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Well, it looks like history did not play out that way, GWNR. I own up to it, and admit to being totally wrong there in what I posted 1 year ago today. And I do remember posting that even now.

But my hyper-sensitivity to NOT wanting Canada to be left behind and abandoned in the world of ice hockey remains. I cannot let that go.

In all things though, I DO congratulate Team Canada for running the Group B gauntlet, and also scratching a LOT of raw itches in that tournament this year, those being ending the U.S. win streak against them, putting a boot in the ass of Finland for what happened a few years ago, and getting rid of the RAWEST itch, getting vengeance on Russia.

And pulling down their 18th overall WJHC Title.

And for now, I am happy, and content.

=)

Reactions: Chris McKinlay

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The commentators talked about what a great atmosphere the Czechs fans created during this tournament. Sometimes when the WJC are held in Europe they can be underwhelming. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Reactions: RegDunlop

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Three of the most recent European tournaments have been great. Seems that federations have put the locations into bigger places.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The commentators talked about what a great atmosphere the Czechs fans created during this tournament. Sometimes when the WJC are held in Europe they can be underwhelming. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
I think the czech and canadian fans get the lions credit for the atmosphere at this one.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Well, it looks like history did not play out that way, GWNR. I own up to it, and admit to being totally wrong there in what I posted 1 year ago today. And I do remember posting that even now.

But my hyper-sensitivity to NOT wanting Canada to be left behind and abandoned in the world of ice hockey remains. I cannot let that go.

In all things though, I DO congratulate Team Canada for running the Group B gauntlet, and also scratching a LOT of raw itches in that tournament this year, those being ending the U.S. win streak against them, putting a boot in the ass of Finland for what happened a few years ago, and getting rid of the RAWEST itch, getting vengeance on Russia.

And pulling down their 18th overall WJHC Title.

And for now, I am happy, and content.

=)
Good on you for owning it. I think the concern is both right and wrong. The days of five consecutive WJ golds are probably gone forever but there's no way Canada won't be in the mix as one of the legit contenders every year for the foreseeable future. Nothing wrong with that. I think we all got spoiled and have acquired expectations that aren't realistic.

So you are right, it won't be how it used to be, but wrong because that's not a bad thing. The tournament is better having things wide open for a bunch of teams to win.

Reactions: Captain And Coke

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
I am impressed with the skill of the Swedish national teams almost every year. I wonder if it is their hockey program, or they have a genetic tendency to be so talented. Taking in acount the population it is even more impressed

Last edited:

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I think the czech and canadian fans get the lions credit for the atmosphere at this one.
Yep. Amazing seeing how many of us made the trip but the hospitality shown by the Czechs was second to none, both in and out of the rink. I'm sure it did help that all the Canadians were cheering for the Czechs against Russia and the US though. And watching their own team is an experience not to be missed.

Hopefully the Swedes can measure up to the high standard that was set here.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad