Transfer: 2020 Summer (we think) Transfer Window Rumors, News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I feel like the move Liverpool should make is a loan with an obligation to buy.
I think that's possible with the economics. I think that's already the way of things with FFP and teams needing to put player purchases off a few seasons.

I think the most likely deal is something like Keita where he's basically a Liverpool player, but they will let him stay in Leipzig another season.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Inter chief Piero Ausilio has left Timo Werner to Liverpool, admits Edinson Cavani ‘isn’t a priority’ and confirms Dries Mertens preferred to stay at Napoli.
Werner announced earlier this month he was targeting a move abroad and it was reported just two days ago that Liverpool had pulled out of the race to sign the RB Leipzig striker.
However, Auslio announced in his interview with Sky Sport Italia that ‘he won’t be here next season’, with the broadcaster going on to report that the Reds have the best chance of landing him.
“I’ll be honest: I’ve always liked him, we’ve been tracking him for some time,” he told Gianluca Di Marzio.
“However, he won’t come to Inter for various reasons: there’s never been any negotiations because I know what the player wants.
“He has a release clause, but he won’t be here next season.”
The sporting director was then asked about Cavani and Mertens, two more targets to strength the Nerazzurri’s attack next season.
“Inter have shown that they’re always attentive to free agents. We’ve strengthened ourselves with them.
“I’m thinking of De Vrij, Godin and Asamoah. We must always look at opportunities they present and Cavani’s one of them.
“But for me to tell you that we’ve thought about him seriously, I’d be lying for one simple reason: we think of our attack as being composed of Lukaku and Lautaro, and then we’re weighing up Sanchez.
“For many, he’s out of our project, but he can still be very useful. Then there’s Esposito.
“With him we’ll assess whether it’s appropriate to let him gain experience elsewhere; we’ll think about the fourth striker, but right now Cavani’s profile isn’t a priority to improve a department that’s already strong.
“I have an excellent relationship with [Napoli sporting director Cristiano] Giuntoli and I was in touch with him very recently.
“I don’t know if [Mertens] has signed his renewal with Napoli, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays there: I don’t understand all this media frenzy.”

It really does seem that he's made up his mind that Liverpool is the destination. If that's the case, it should get done unless something funny winds up in the medical (doubtful).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I feel like the move Liverpool should make is a loan with an obligation to buy.
That would have a lot of sense. Did that with Southampton for Ings.

either way LFC’s front office knows what they are doing. They should be trusted.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Cant see that going well.

Neymar back to Barca confirmed I guess..... :p

Let's hope not. However if it's true they want the pay cuts and if weren't willing, then if I heard correctly that he's on 750k a week PSG would save 30 million by offloading on top of bringing in what they get in terms of a transfer fee.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Let's hope not. However if it's true they want the pay cuts and if weren't willing, then if I heard correctly that he's on 750k a week PSG would save 30 million by offloading on top of bringing in what they get in terms of a transfer fee.

I'm assuming in this scenario Dembele is on the way out?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I know Liverpool owner are very business savvy in their approach but if a team like Chelsea goes ahead of them to get Werner I would start to get very worried with their financials.

Their net transfer have been in positive more often than not the past 5 years and they did not purchase any single first team player last summer and they have been making record revenues and net income the past 2 years. I know about Covid but that would affect all the teams...including Chelsea... so how could Chelsea not be affected and Liverpool are. I would certainly start questionning LFC owner's ambitions if it was the case. Not to mention that they already postponed their stadium expansion plan so they have the flexibility to act.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I know Liverpool owner are very business savvy in their approach but if a team like Chelsea goes ahead of them to get Werner I would start to get very worried with their financials.

Their net transfer have been in positive more often than not the past 5 years and they did not purchase any single first team player last summer and they have been making record revenues and net income the past 2 years. I know about Covid but that would affect all the teams...including Chelsea... so how could Chelsea not be affected and Liverpool are. I would certainly start questionning LFC owner's ambitions if it was the case. Not to mention that they already postponed their stadium expansion plan so they have the flexibility to act.
If Werner goes to Chelsea over Liverpool it’s not necessarily about money. He would get way more playing time and be the definite first option at Chelsea, he would not at Liverpool.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Werner goes to Chelsea over Liverpool it’s not necessarily about money. He would get way more playing time and be the definite first option at Chelsea, he would not at Liverpool.

You can cut that one the other way as well. Playing for a World Class, German manager, probably with one of the best teams in football, playing attacking football, winning things now, not in a season or two plus. Heck, there's a chance Chelsea don't even have CL football next season.

I don't agree that Liverpool's managers not buying him wouldn't show ambition. They've clearly stated multiple times that they're making the club live within their means. They don't have a sugar daddy, oil money or crooked Russian money. They also have people in charge of the club who don't necessarily want to spend money just to spend it. Werner might be a unique opportunity, because it seems to be a player who feels he can put himself in this Liverpool lineup, or minimum willing to earn his time (whether that's through Salah going, or Firmino dropping back, who knows). But even if he doesn't, they've got a number of young players, and hungry players who they feel they can plug in. Edwards along with Klopp also want to get value out of players more so than go out and overspend.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You can cut that one the other way as well. Playing for a World Class, German manager, probably with one of the best teams in football, playing attacking football, winning things now, not in a season or two plus. Heck, there's a chance Chelsea don't even have CL football next season.

I don't agree that Liverpool's managers not buying him wouldn't show ambition. They've clearly stated multiple times that they're making the club live within their means. They don't have a sugar daddy, oil money or crooked Russian money. They also have people in charge of the club who don't necessarily want to spend money just to spend it. Werner might be a unique opportunity, because it seems to be a player who feels he can put himself in this Liverpool lineup, or minimum willing to earn his time (whether that's through Salah going, or Firmino dropping back, who knows). But even if he doesn't, they've got a number of young players, and hungry players who they feel they can plug in. Edwards along with Klopp also want to get value out of players more so than go out and overspend.
He can go to Bayern and get consistent playing time then. Roll with two up top Werner and Lewa with Muller-Thiago-Goretzka/Tolisso/Martinez-Gnabry behind them with Davies-Sule-whoever-Kimmich in the back line.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Sounds perfect to me. Werner is off to Liverpool which will lead to David be starting every game for Leipzig, who are a pretty good CL team. Then when he's good enough, he'll be off to Bayern ideally with Davies.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
We don’t actually know any of the specifics of the release clause. Some said it was over in March. Some day it drops then and goes up in summer. We don’t know if it’s only for outside of the Bundesliga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad