Transfer: 2020 Summer (we think) Transfer Window Rumors, News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
By the time the 17/18 season rolled around, Mane/Firminho/Salah were all at Liverpool and playing the front 3 with Coutinho in MF.

In fact, from what I recall, that was precisely one of the reasons many Liverpool fans said he was so expendable. He wasn't going to play in that front 3 anymore, and for the price they could get, he was replaceable in MF>
I recall Coutinho being insanely good playing for that Barca transfer that season. Prior to that season, I felt he was always overrated.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
By the time the 17/18 season rolled around, Mane/Firminho/Salah were all at Liverpool and playing the front 3 with Coutinho in MF.

In fact, from what I recall, that was precisely one of the reasons many Liverpool fans said he was so expendable. He wasn't going to play in that front 3 anymore, and for the price they could get, he was replaceable in MF>
Replaceable in midfield because he is not good there.
Also you should take a look at how many games those four played together. I think two games. Two.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I recall Coutinho being insanely good playing for that Barca transfer that season. Prior to that season, I felt he was always overrated.
You need to run your offense through Coutinho. That being said if you run you offense through Coutinho, your best case scenario is probably like 5th

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So anyway.

Newcastle wants Shaqiri. They can have him as long as it’s not a loan.

Leicester and Burnley want Adam Lallana. They can have him as long as it’s not a loan.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffreyLFC

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

This seems revisionist. The only Liverpool fan here that said he was expendable was me; everyone else was talking about how amazing he was and how much it would hurt Liverpool to lose him.

That said he wasn't playing much midfield that season. Still, some of his very best ever games for Liverpool were in midfield (v. City comes to mind, where he absolutely dominated from midfield).

He's much better suited to playing midfield than he is any other position, but he needs to be in the right environment/system. I think he could play well for Arsenal there.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This seems revisionist. The only Liverpool fan here that said he was expendable was me; everyone else was talking about how amazing he was and how much it would hurt Liverpool to lose him.

That said he wasn't playing much midfield that season. Still, some of his very best ever games for Liverpool were in midfield (v. City comes to mind, where he absolutely dominated from midfield).

He's much better suited to playing midfield than he is any other position, but he needs to be in the right environment/system. I think he could play well for Arsenal there.
I said I would miss him on dead balls. But things turned out pretty decently with our set pieces.

I’m not going to be a believer that he is going to work in a PL midfield, 4 years after he left and went into the toilet, until I see it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

You guys would know better. I definitely was one of those people who thought his deep threat would be missed. I just thought I remembered him playing mainly MF for them.

Regardless I don't think of him as a wing. But I haven't followed him much the last few years.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Genk and Rangers close to an agreement on a permanent deal for Ianis Hagi

Genk bought him for about €4m last year, Rangers would pay €5m

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't have a problem saying I didn't feel he was easily expendable. I did feel he offered something offensively they didn't have at the time (and they've really yet to replicate). As much as he's a passenger in midfield (or at least not willing to do what they need him to do), I do feel he gave them something they still don't really have in outside shots and creativity. I think a healthy Keita could provide some of that (less on the shots, but more the unlocking element to prime-Coutinho). I do think Fekir would have done most of what Coutinho could have brought. I also know most of my grumbling was considerations towards the fact that he was going midseason, when they didn't really have any lined up replacement, and grumbling before the season, when they had no idea Salah was going to be the Salah he was in 17-18.

I'm also not sure it's fair to say that anyone could have really projected some of the development the entire squad has made. In 17-18, Andy Robertson is on the bench still for most of the first part. Trent really hadn't grabbed his spot. There's no big Virg till January. There's no Alisson. No Fabinho. That Liverpool roster is much less dynamic, and really, the dominance and power of the midfield hadn't fully developed. So, yeah, I have no qualms saying that his going was going to be a big hit. They've clearly mitigated what he did for them by improving elsewhere.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
On the Werner front, sounds like Klopp has talked with him a few times already. For anyone saying they're tapping up, it seems RBLeipzig is ok with Werner talking to prospective clubs since he has an out clause. For what it's worth, Liverpool seem to have a decent relationship with the whole apparatus after they buried the turmoil over Keita.

Most of the journos seem to suggest that Liverpool are willing to do the deal, but want to talk the price down a bit (or wait till they know the financial details of this pandemic more) and that Werner is set on Liverpool.

Sign me up.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I don't have a problem saying I didn't feel he was easily expendable. I did feel he offered something offensively they didn't have at the time (and they've really yet to replicate). As much as he's a passenger in midfield (or at least not willing to do what they need him to do), I do feel he gave them something they still don't really have in outside shots and creativity. I think a healthy Keita could provide some of that (less on the shots, but more the unlocking element to prime-Coutinho). I do think Fekir would have done most of what Coutinho could have brought. I also know most of my grumbling was considerations towards the fact that he was going midseason, when they didn't really have any lined up replacement, and grumbling before the season, when they had no idea Salah was going to be the Salah he was in 17-18.

I'm also not sure it's fair to say that anyone could have really projected some of the development the entire squad has made. In 17-18, Andy Robertson is on the bench still for most of the first part. Trent really hadn't grabbed his spot. There's no big Virg till January. There's no Alisson. No Fabinho. That Liverpool roster is much less dynamic, and really, the dominance and power of the midfield hadn't fully developed. So, yeah, I have no qualms saying that his going was going to be a big hit. They've clearly mitigated what he did for them by improving elsewhere.

Latest news from the UK is that Liverpool are no longer interested in paying Werner's release clause. Seems like he is destined to stay at Leipzig, as Inter have told Barcelona its 111 M or nothing for Martinez.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Luiz is close to leaving Arsenal due to us not being able to afford his deal next season. What a blessing in disguise there, not that he's been truly bad, but we need these type of players to GTFO. Him and Sokratis.

Reactions: Cassano

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Latest news from the UK is that Liverpool are no longer interested in paying Werner's release clause. Seems like he is destined to stay at Leipzig, as Inter have told Barcelona its 111 M or nothing for Martinez.
I wouldn’t say LFC are out on Werner until it comes from a Joyce/Pearce level source but Liverpool don’t print money. Their ownership is not in the top ten for richest in the Premier League and Liverpool generally do their business off net spend. They could be hurt by the virus here. They were probably looking to offset that transfer fee by offloading the Shaqiri/Lallana/Wilson/Grujic group. That might not be an option now. It will be interesting to see. The player still wants the move it’s just a manner of getting funds together.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I saw that yesterday afternoon. I think that’s part of the process. I think Liverpool have no desire to pay 50+, and will wait it out. I think putting some of that out in the papers will help get it rolling.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't know what any of those words are. :P

An over-hyped Canadian prospect who never found his footing in the MLS, is now 24 and already on his second CPL team. Pacific is the 'youth movement' team of the CPL, they have a lot of promising u-21 Canadians.

Come on you really got to start watching CPL, it's a great league to watch as a neutral.... ;)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Negotiating tactic. They’re offering less money because clubs have less money.
This is all true but I also think it’s a lousy negotiating tactic. Werner is already coming at a stiff discount because of his release clause and Red Bull don’t have to play ball.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
This is all true but I also think it’s a lousy negotiating tactic. Werner is already coming at a stiff discount because of his release clause and Red Bull don’t have to play ball.
Of course they don’t have to. But if Werner wants Liverpool as much as has been reported, it’s worth a try IMO.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think we are actually going to see a lot of bigger type transfers not happen this summer. Clubs are losing a ton of money and just won't be willing to spend what it takes. Clubs that are selling will want to wait until the market improves, as long as the player is under contract for that time. In Werner's case, he probably stays.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think we are actually going to see a lot of bigger type transfers not happen this summer. Clubs are losing a ton of money and just won't be willing to spend what it takes. Clubs that are selling will want to wait until the market improves, as long as the player is under contract for that time. In Werner's case, he probably stays.
I’d agree with this. I think you see more swaps than normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad