Transfer: 2020 Summer Transfer Window Rumors Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Man I really want to get into MLS and soccer in general and I'm trying to read through this thread to understand how this stuff works but there's just so much going on I don't know how anyone could keep track of it

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Unreliable source, so take it for what it's worth, but Bild is saying Sancho is unsure about United because they aren't guaranteed Champions League football. I don't believe the source to begin with, but it's not as if he'd transfer before the end of the Premier League season. If they qualify, they are guaranteed Champions League football. If they don't, then I guess it could be less likely. Either way, it won't be an unknown by the end of the month. Could become a total non-issue, even if it's true.

There's still the Europa League to finish, plus the CAS ruling on City.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kovacic absolutely has been a difference maker this year, it's not even debatable. He's playing like the player he was hyped to be early in his career. What do you mean "Kovacic going to play deep?" Kovacic does play deep, he rarely ever goes into the box and has decent defensive stats despite not being used in a defensive role like Kante. Kovacic's role is literally to play deep and to drive the ball forward in transition and to be a deep passing option when attacking. He's not a passive holding midfielder like Jorginho who is static in front of the centerbacks, but Kovacic is the modern version of a deep playmaker who will roam around to support the attack and defense and can pass or dribble the ball into space to progress the ball forward, rather than the quickly becoming outdated "regista" that Jorginho is. We don't need that type of player, and I see no indications that Lampard even likes using anyone in that role. I wasn't happy that we bought Kovacic for £40m after his performance under Sarri, but I've been proven completely wrong and that is now looking like a bargain. Sure maybe Chelsea could do better than Kovacic and Mount if we drop another £200m on midfielders, but that doesn't seem realistic given our needs.

Mount is more of an attacker, but as I said in another post his defensive game has come a long way this year and he's been doing a good job of tracking back to help defend and to provide outlet options to our defenders from deep in our end. I think Lampard sees Mount as a young version of himself, and expects him to develop into an all-around midfielder, which is definitely how I see him trending as well.

I'll just repeat from above that I don't think we need or want a holding midfielder. I'd be fine with another ball-winning midfielder like Kante is for a backup, but we certainly don't need a holding player considering Lampard's entire system is based on fluid movement. My ideal midfielder to add if Kante were leaving is Ndidi, but he'd probably cost a fortune.

I'll say again that our biggest weakness is left-back right now, considering we added a right-winger in Ziyech and another striker/winger/attacking midfielder in Werner. Havertz isn't our biggest need, but you don't pass up the chance to land that much talent.

So lets say Kante isn't up the lineup and Jorginho isn't at the club anymore. How does the formation look? Do you think Kovacic is going to play in front of Mount and RLC? Do you seriously think that lineup will hold up defensively? If you are going to have a player like Kovacic occupy deeper positions, you need someone who can cover a lot of ground around him in midfield, like Kante. Those two might work well together, but I'm speaking about what things look like when Kante isn't in the lineup. I've read that Jorginho might be on his way out. Chelsea doesn't possess enough or any real defensive bite besides Kante and possibly Jorginho, but even Jorginho's not great in that category. I think thats exactly why Chelsea is rumored to sign Rice. They realize that they need someone as a back up for Kante.

I already mentioned LB being a need. I think CB, holding midfield, and potentially GK are also needs.

Abraham had 11 goals in his first 14 games and has 2 over his next 15. He hasn't even scored in the league in 9 appearances. He's not being written off, but considering the chances he has been getting he hasn't been anywhere near clinical enough to be a starter for a top 4 side.

Abraham has 15 goals in 2695 minutes at age 21/22. This is his first season in the Premier League. He scores a goal every 179.7 minutes. Thats better than a goal every other game. You aren't going to find that many strikers who can produce that well at the top level, let alone in their first season. Thats a player thats worth continuing to develop. Within a season or two, that player should be a no-doubt top level striker.

I'm surprised that for a club that preached youth and developing these players that they are willing to bring in a player so quickly that could take his minutes. And that player probably isn't any better than him. Chelsea has gotten 26 goals in 39 games so far from the #9 position. They get goals from #9's in 2/3 of their games. I haven't looked through every team's stats, but I suspect there are 2-3 teams in the Premier League any better than that.

Werner seems like such a needless purchase from how I see it. I think Abraham with Giroud backing him up. Throw in Batshuayi every now and then is more than good enough, and Chelsea needs to put money into their defense instead. Chelsea have allowed the most goals of the top 9, and the teams in contention for UCL spots have allowed a lot fewer goals. It's not even close. Meanwhile, they have the fourth most goals in the league. The stats also seem to suggest they need to do a better job defending, not attacking.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's still the Europa League to finish, plus the CAS ruling on City.

CAS is supposed to come before the end of the month. Europa League is next month. RN says Dortmund gave Man United an August 10 deadline to purchase Sancho, so if they aren't qualified for UCL by the end of the month via top 4/5, the deadline is going to come before they'd know if they qualify via Europa League.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So lets say Kante isn't up the lineup and Jorginho isn't at the club anymore. How does the formation look? Do you think Kovacic is going to play in front of Mount and RLC? Do you seriously think that lineup will hold up defensively? If you are going to have a player like Kovacic occupy deeper positions, you need someone who can cover a lot of ground around him in midfield, like Kante. Those two might work well together, but I'm speaking about what things look like when Kante isn't in the lineup. I've read that Jorginho might be on his way out. Chelsea doesn't possess enough or any real defensive bite besides Kante and possibly Jorginho, but even Jorginho's not great in that category. I think thats exactly why Chelsea is rumored to sign Rice. They realize that they need someone as a back up for Kante.

I already mentioned LB being a need. I think CB, holding midfield, and potentially GK are also needs.
Do you think Kovacic is an attacking midfielder? Seriously now, I'm just completely baffled at how you are describing him. As I said already, Kovacic plays a deep position now, even with Kante on the field beside him, and he covers plenty of ground. I've posted a heat map of his below that is up to date from a few weeks ago. If Kovacic, Mount, and RLC are on the field together as a trio you think Kovacic plays in front of Mount and RLC? I'm seriously confused right now, that's not even close to reality. Kovacic would sit deep likely with one of RLC or Mount operating "beside" him and the other playing a more aggressive attacking role. Typically that would be Mount, but Lampard has also been looking to play Mount deeper lately. Yes, I think that would work defensively as both Kovacic and RLC are capable in that regard and Mount is improving all the time. None of them are Kante, but none of them are liabilities either so working together should be fine. Jorginho is slower than Kovacic and it's pretty arguable whether he's any better defensively, but his strict holding role usually puts him in more defensive positions.

As I said and the Guardian even just wrote an article with Lampard quotes further reinforcing that I linked above, Chelsea does not want to operate with a traditional static holding midfielder. Kante isn't that type of player anyways, so whether he is in or out doesn't change that fact. Jorginho is out of favor right now because he's too rigid with that playstyle and not pressing and roaming like Lampard wants from his midfield, the thing every other midfielder we have does. So I 100% disagree that a "holding midfielder" is even close to a need for Chelsea, and Declan Rice isn't that type of player either, he is definitely more of a mobile ball winning midfielder or destroyer like Kante is. So when you say Chelsea need a holding midfielder while talking about Kante and Rice, I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Picture2.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you think Kovacic is an attacking midfielder? Seriously now, I'm just completely baffled at how you are describing him. As I said already, Kovacic plays a deep position now, even with Kante on the field beside him, and he covers plenty of ground. I've posted a heat map of his below that is up to date from a few weeks ago. If Kovacic, Mount, and RLC are on the field together as a trio you think Kovacic plays in front of Mount and RLC? I'm seriously confused right now, that's not even close to reality. Kovacic would sit deep likely with one of RLC or Mount operating "beside" him and the other playing a more aggressive attacking role. Typically that would be Mount, but Lampard has also been looking to play Mount deeper lately. Yes, I think that would work defensively as both Kovacic and RLC are capable in that regard and Mount is improving all the time. None of them are Kante, but none of them are liabilities either so working together should be fine. Jorginho is slower than Kovacic and it's pretty arguable whether he's any better defensively, but his strict holding role usually puts him in more defensive positions.

As I said and the Guardian even just wrote an article with Lampard quotes further reinforcing that I linked above, Chelsea does not want to operate with a traditional static holding midfielder. Kante isn't that type of player anyways, so whether he is in or out doesn't change that fact. Jorginho is out of favor right now because he's too rigid with that playstyle and not pressing and roaming like Lampard wants from his midfield, the thing every other midfielder we have does. So I 100% disagree that a "holding midfielder" is even close to a need for Chelsea, and Declan Rice isn't that type of player either, he is definitely more of a mobile ball winning midfielder or destroyer like Kante is. So when you say Chelsea need a holding midfielder while talking about Kante and Rice, I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Picture2.png

You are going on and on about your perception of how I view Kovacic that has no connection to anything I said.

At least you answered my question. But Lampard hasn’t been using Kovacic in a deep role without Kante to cover a tremendous amount of ground around him. Do you think that Kante might make Kovacic’s ground coverage look better than it is? Kante has been world class at doing just that for years. Covering an incredible amount of ground, giving his midfield partners less to do defensively and freeing them up to not have to do much running around. I think that Kovacic with two guys ahead of him that aren’t Kante or a box to box style guy is asking for defensive troubles. If you think differently, we can just agree to disagree. It’s not such an important discussion.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Man I really want to get into MLS and soccer in general and I'm trying to read through this thread to understand how this stuff works but there's just so much going on I don't know how anyone could keep track of it
It just takes some time. Honestly 70% of the stuff for transfers/caps/players/rules you don’t even need to know to understand. Been watching for years and still don’t fully understand the cap situation but if you have any specific questions feel free to let me know and I’ll do my best to answer!

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You are going on and on about your perception of how I view Kovacic that has no connection to anything I said.

At least you answered my question. But Lampard hasn’t been using Kovacic in a deep role without Kante to cover a tremendous amount of ground around him. Do you think that Kante might make Kovacic’s ground coverage look better than it is? Kante has been world class at doing just that for years. Covering an incredible amount of ground, giving his midfield partners less to do defensively and freeing them up to not have to do much running around. I think that Kovacic with two guys ahead of him that aren’t Kante or a box to box style guy is asking for defensive troubles. If you think differently, we can just agree to disagree. It’s not such an important discussion.
You keep making inaccurate statements, there is another with "Lampard hasn’t been using Kovacic in a deep role without Kante to cover a tremendous amount of ground around him" when that has absolutely been the case in games where Kante has been out. Kovacic has only played a deep role, it's the only position he has played this year whether Kante is playing or not, and he's been fantastic doing it. Our team is better with Kante on the pitch because as you say he's world class at what he does, but Kovacic has been tremendous on the ball this year and has been no slouch defensively either. I can see why you don't think Kovacic has been a difference maker when you don't even know how he has been used or how he has performed. As long as Kovacic is partnered with a mobile midfielder who can capably support the attack and defense, I see no issues defensively there. Is it as ideal as having Kante? No, but I also don't see spending huge money on a Kante backup as a priority.

ELrdC3iXsAAf9YJ.png

Eao0HMbXYAIOGCn

Forgive the Partey overlay, it's the only recent Kante radar I could find.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ornstein podcast said Chelsea and Arsenal also interested in Thiago and may prefer a move there because him and his wife prefer London.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I saw rumors that SMS was also of interest for Chelsea, didn't really dig into the reliability, but it's probably clear that they want a midfielder to help add some level of creativity, even if those targets aren't the exact same type of player.

I could easily see this meaning that Jorginho finds his way back to Italy this summer.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Good anything that makes them spend not on Kai. I wouldnt like seeing Thaigo in blue but sacrifices must be made.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ornstein podcast said Chelsea and Arsenal also interested in Thiago and may prefer a move there because him and his wife prefer London.
Thiago isn’t leaving Bayern for Arsenal, and I’d be petty surprised if he left for Chelsea, too.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would take Thiago at Arsenal in a heart beat. Don't think the money will be right this summer though.

Reactions: Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Thiago isn’t leaving Bayern for Arsenal, and I’d be petty surprised if he left for Chelsea, too.
Don't shoot the messenger, just passing along info from a credible source.

Also said he doesn't want to work with Guardiola and Guardiola doesn't want him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I think I'd prefer Benrahma, but Bailey would be a good option for LW as well at that price range.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That price is pretty good tbh. Still shocked no one is in on Mikel. I dont know why teams are fixed on torres and not him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I think I'd prefer Benrahma, but Bailey would be a good option for LW as well at that price range.

Both of those would be good options for clubs IMO. Even if not everyday starters, those are very good depth options at very good prices.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's weird considering Pep is his footballing father.
It’s interesting. We’ve heard Klopp talk about not wanting to add players he has worked with already too. (Only Gotze came close to a LFC move). Maybe there is something to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad