Transfer: 2020 Summer Transfer Window Rumors Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You never know with these things. Could very well be Thiago's agent putting pressure on Bayern or Liverpool putting pressure on Wijnaldum.

My only concern with bringing in Thiago is age. Liverpool got a lot of players currently in their prime. Time to add som younger guys that can takeover together with TAA, Gomez and hopefully some of the younger guys that hasn't really proven themselves at that level yet to make the transition as smooth as possible in a couple of years
There are no concern for me regarding age with Thiago.

Liverpool have been trying to be in this position for a longtime (club where top players want to join and challenge for all silverware). Their top players are signed for 3 more years and they need to challenge to get more titles (obviously) but also get top sponsors deal. When this core is aging you can reinvest into other players. The good news to me it seems like LFC are not looking for resale value anymore which is amazing to know. They don't want to be a stepping stone club but a club that is the top of the chain.

If LFC can maintain their form for many more years and sponsorship deal follow and we become a similar level revenue wise to Manchester United then getting new top players in 3 or 4 years would not be a problem.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah, he's probably gone now since it's the third game he hasn't even been put into the squad. I would feel a bit disrespected too by Arteta considering Matteo's actions were not entirely wrong in my mind. I mean I condemn grabbing anybody's throat, but it was heat of the moment and was partial justified for me.

He was also the only one who seemed pissed off that they lost.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Reactions: Blender

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I don’t really get this for Chelsea. Tomori is probably a better CB and Chelsea already have a solid midfield. Just don’t know why they aren’t signing someone like Diego Carlos or Upamecano.
chelsea's midfield doesnt have a player like rice and rice could be a ball playing, athletic, CB if moved back there. hes also a former chelsea youth player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don’t really get this for Chelsea. Tomori is probably a better CB and Chelsea already have a solid midfield. Just don’t know why they aren’t signing someone like Diego Carlos or Upamecano.
I also don't get it, I'd rather just play Tomori than loan him to West Ham and buy Rice just to play Rice as a CB. Tomori is already very good on the ball, but sometimes takes too big of risks that he needs to clean up in his game.

Reactions: Cassano and YNWA14

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Sure, they don't have a player like him, but you don't always need one.

They have two excellent DMs already. They need help on the back line (specifically out wide), not at DM.
Yea we have Azpilicueta playing left-back all the time because Alonso is our only decent option there. Reece James is going to be really good as a right-back, but is still young and developing. We need a long term option at left-back for sure, which is why we keep being involved in Chilwell rumors.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If you're buying a player like Rice just to play him out of position, you're doing it wrong.
Buying Rice just makes no sense for Chelsea, it's buying a player in a position of strength and depth just to play him out of position in another place that isn't our biggest problem. Our centerbacks aren't great, but they are serviceable and young enough that they can still improve as they age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I thin they need both. I'm very unconvinced by their central midfield.

Kante's gonna play, but he doesn't drive play. Gilmour looks like a little boy and plays like it also. Can't be relied on yet. Barkley is English Mo Dahoud. Is Jorginho even going to be at the club past the summer? Kovacic and Mount aren't bad, but not huge difference makers.

If Jorginho stays, they have Kante, Jorginho, Mount and Kovacic for three positions. Maybe Ziyech can also play there. They need more options, preferably true holding midfielders.

They probably need a CB, as well. GK and LB are also needs. This is why going for Havertz this summer makes no sense, unless you plan to use him full time as a box to box midfielder. The Werner signing didn't even make sense to me. You have Pulisic, CHO, Ziyech and probably also Willian for the wings, Abraham and Giroud for the striker positions. Thats certainly stronger than what they have in midfield and at the back besides RB. I could understand going for Werner if Willian didn't return. How much money are they going to have to spend? They need another CB, a LB, another midfielder or two and potentially a goalkeeper? Meanwhile, they've brought in two attackers, potentially three with Havertz, when that was the deepest part of their squad.

Edit: Forgot RLC. I still think they need another option, probably a holding midfielder.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
chelsea's only DM that theyve used in 2020 is Kante and his performance has dipped big time. Jorginho will be at another club next year. If Chelsea buy Rice he can play in the midfield or as the ball playing athletic CB that every club wants. Chelsea's defense is not good.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It depends on how you view Rice. If he's being purchased as the heir to Kante as the DM, then it doesn't make a ton of sense. If he's viewed as the next "Terry", as the organizer and commander at the back, then it makes complete sense, it just depends on how you evaluate the player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I thin they need both. I'm very unconvinced by their central midfield.

Kante's gonna play, but he doesn't drive play. Gilmour looks like a little boy and plays like it also. Can't be relied on yet. Barkley is English Mo Dahoud. Is Jorginho even going to be at the club past the summer? Kovacic and Mount aren't bad, but not huge difference makers.

If Jorginho stays, they have Kante, Jorginho, Mount and Kovacic for three positions. Maybe Ziyech can also play there. They need more options, preferably true holding midfielders.

They probably need a CB, as well. This is why going for Havertz this summer makes no sense, unless you plan to use him full time as a box to box midfielder. The Werner signing didn't even make sense to me either. You have Pulisic, CHO, Ziyech and probably also Werner for the wings, Abraham and Giroud for the striker positions. Thats certainly stronger than what they have in midfield and at the back besides RB.
Kovacic and Mount aren't difference makers. :laugh:

Kante has struggled with injuries this season unfortunately, he doesn't really drive play from a ball-playing perspective but he generates a lot of turnovers that we can quickly transition into a counter-attack. He's always been at his best when playing for a side that doesn't care as much about possession and instead looks to exploit counter-attack opportunities (Leicester City, Chelsea under Conte, Chelsea under Lampard depending on the opponent).

Barkley is the most frustrating player in the league, tons of talent but whenever he has time on the ball he makes terrible decisions. Every once and a while some magic shines through and he makes a difference, but it's the exception instead of the rule.

Abraham has not been great for quite a while now to the point of losing his first choice spot to Giroud, who has generally been a better option for multiple reasons. Hopefully Werner gives us a reliable goal scoring threat in that position while also bringing some of the link-up play ability that Giroud has. Werner obviously doesn't hold the ball up like Giroud does so well and doesn't have the presence in the box that Abraham does, so there are trade offs either way.

Gilmour has loads of talent but he needs to catch up physically to his ability. He just turned 19, so give him time of course.

You didn't even mention RLC who is getting back to being fit after being off for a year. He was probably our best midfielder last year before getting injured, forced his way into Sarri's side despite not really being a good fit for that system because he was driving the ball forward so well.

Ziyech can play in the middle but I expect him to take over Willian's spot as the first choice right winger. I want Willian back because he's still a top quality player, but who knows there.

Our biggest weakness by far is left-back.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It depends on how you view Rice. If he's being purchased as the heir to Kante as the DM, then it doesn't make a ton of sense. If he's viewed as the next "Terry", as the organizer and commander at the back, then it makes complete sense, it just depends on how you evaluate the player.
It also depends on how you set up the team. CHelsea play 3 CMs usually and Kante has underwhelmed in this set up. Kante has been very poor when Chelsea have the ball in this set up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it's also odd that so many seem to rate our attack. Tammy isn't a title winning #9, yet. Mount and RLC can't be relied on to be the attacking midfielder, one is young and unproven and one has always been hurt. I like Mount, but it would be silly to have title and Euro hopes with him as main starting in the attacking midfield spot. Kovacic has been great this year, but he's not someone that adds to the end product, he's amazing in the transition game though. Giroud is a solid rotational player. Willian is likely to move on. Hudson-Odoi is still all potential at this point.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It also depends on how you set up the team. CHelsea play 3 CMs usually and Kante has underwhelmed in this set up. Kante has been very poor when Chelsea have the ball in this set up.
He's been hurt all year, and he's just now being used in the #6 role, as opposed to a quasi b2b/dm role. Setting him up behind Kovacic and an attacking type has been a lot more effective. I'm not worried about Kante.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
chelsea's only DM that theyve used in 2020 is Kante and his performance has dipped big time. Jorginho will be at another club next year. If Chelsea buy Rice he can play in the midfield or as the ball playing athletic CB that every club wants. Chelsea's defense is not good.
Kante has been way better since we shifted him deeper recently to sweep up in front of the defenders. He's always had the freedom to roam, but I have never been sold on him being used as essentially a pivot in attack and putting him that high means he's doing defending with a huge gap between him and the backline.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think it's also odd that so many seem to rate our attack. Tammy isn't a title winning #9, yet. Mount and RLC can't be relied on to be the attacking midfielder, one is young and unproven and one has always been hurt. Kovacic has been great this year, but he's not someone that adds to the end product, he's amazing in the transition game though. Giroud is a solid rotational player. Willian is likely to move on. Hudson-Odoi is still all potential at this point.
I think Kovacic and Mount have been great. Kovacic has been by far the best midfielder in the league at forward progression this year, his transition game is amazing. He isn't going to add to the end product, but put someone lethal like Werner on the end of his passes and they will go in, we've already seen what someone like Pulisic can generate with that kind of service. Mount has been less consistent, but when he's on he's also been great. He's not your prime goal scorer though, and he's probably a few years off from generating the kind of scoring he has at lower levels from the midfield due to the increased competition at the EPL level.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Cant Tomori or Rudiger be viewed as an organizer and commander at the back?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Kovacic and Mount have been great. Kovacic has been by far the best midfielder in the league at forward progression this year, his transition game is amazing. He isn't going to add to the end product, but put someone lethal like Werner on the end of his passes and they will go in, we've already seen what someone like Pulisic can generate with that kind of service. Mount has been less consistent, but when he's on he's also been great. He's not your prime goal scorer though, and he's probably a few years off from generating the kind of scoring he has at lower levels from the midfield due to the increased competition at the EPL level.
Don't disagree. Kovacic is critical to our overall game, just trying to show how what he brings isn't something that Havertz would bring, so they aren't redundant pieces. Mount looks like the player that we hoped Oscar could've been, and I don't mean that as an insult. I think he can develop a complete game, so Lampard would be able to play with 2 attacking "8's" ahead of Kante. I just think it's odd that people seem to think a Havertz would be redundant. We just don't have a reliable goal threat from the midfield. If people want to say Ziyech, the difference is Havertz is someone to build around, where Ziyech is currently in his prime.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Cant Tomori or Rudiger be viewed as an organizer and commander at the back?
Not really, I wouldn't say any of our 4 are those types. They all have potential to be good/solid #2's, that's partly why we have so many disaster blunders at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad