Red Sox/MLB 2020 Spring Training IX - Red Sox say Chris Sale has a flexor strain, will be reassessed in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So all that talk about Sale having pneumonia was just BS to mask his elbow problem??? :dunno:

Nah, that was very real.

He started ramping up and his elbow was sore. Both The pneumonia and elbow can happen... it doesn’t have to be one or the other- Idk why you think the pneumonia has to be a smokescreen. Besides Idk exactly what the point of it would be. They’re announcing his elbow problems without a diagnosis now, not like they’re being super secretive about anything

Reactions: BMC

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
They should have just had him get the surgery when it popped up last year. How many times do players just end up getting the surgery even with rest & rehab? The smartest decision is almost always to just bite the bullet and do it right away.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just another reason why keeping Mookie for this season, violating the luxury tax threshold for the third time, and risking losing him for nothing would have been a f***ing stupid idea

I would have him get the surgery at this point. I understand wanting to put it off if possible, it’s starting to look more and more like it’s not possible to do that
Bang on

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They should have just had him get the surgery when it popped up last year. How many times do players just end up getting the surgery even with rest & rehab? The smartest decision is almost always to just bite the bullet and do it right away.

Said the same exact thing last year when it was being reported. They did this with Lackey when he was here and all it did was delay him getting healthy. He should have had the surgery and been healing up for next year. Now because of the timing, he's going to get it done, and miss 2 seasons. WTF?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Said the same exact thing last year when it was being reported. They did this with Lackey when he was here and all it did was delay him getting healthy. He should have had the surgery and been healing up for next year. Now because of the timing, he's going to get it done, and miss 2 seasons. WTF?

Yep, if he had it done in August last year, he'd probably be back by spring training 2021. Now, he could be back by the end of the 2021 season, but you probably just wouldn't bother to rush him.

I feel like the team's medical staff have been bad for a while, which is disappointing considering they should have access to better doctors than any other city.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tommy John should always be a last resort- it’s not quite the death sentence it once was but people don’t always come back from it.

Injections/rest/rehab has worked before. It doesn’t look like it’s going to work here though

if he gets it now he will be back early next season. Typically a 12 month recovery, depends on the individual though

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Nah, that was very real.

He started ramping up and his elbow was sore. Both The pneumonia and elbow can happen... it doesn’t have to be one or the other- Idk why you think the pneumonia has to be a smokescreen. Besides Idk exactly what the point of it would be. They’re announcing his elbow problems without a diagnosis now, not like they’re being super secretive about anything

Why might I think the pneumonia could have been a smokescreen for Sale's ongoing elbow issue? Given the terrible off season the team has had plus ownership's absolute lack of credibility why wouldn't I think it??? I wouldn't believe them if they told me water is wet.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Why might I think the pneumonia could have been a smokescreen for Sale's ongoing elbow issue? Given the terrible off season the team has had plus ownership's absolute lack of credibility why wouldn't I think it??? I wouldn't believe them if they told me water is wet.

because there is no point to doing it

Reactions: McGarnagle

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-3-3_15-40-31.png

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Player A is Mookie Betts.

Player B is Christian Yelich.

Mookie is a much better OF, but your point is made.

In Mookies case, a good amount of his value comes from his defense. I am not giving him a record-breaking contract in his thirties and expecting for this to continue. History tells us that defense from top notch OF relying on speed tend to decline considerably at around age 30.

And as great as Betts is, his MVP-season appears to be an outlier with the bat. He hasn't been close in that regard before or after. Yelich has had exceptional offensive output in back-two-back seasons.
Therefore I don't think it would be outrageous to picture CY aging better than MB. Plus this contract extension appears to be semi team-friendly. Let me put it this way: I can't see Betts signing anything that would make me like it more than what Yelich has just agreed to.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Just so we're all clear, John Henry approved the Sale contract. A contract most people knew was dumb at the time. And yet we had to trade Mookie freakin Betts to get under the tax. Handing out bad contracts that prevent you from signing one of the best players in the game. What a way to do business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad