Red Sox/MLB 2020 Spring Training IX - Red Sox say Chris Sale has a flexor strain, will be reassessed in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Any word on a manager with teams reporting in a few day days. Heck JD Martinez might as well take over coaching while the FO jokers continue their horrid offseason moves.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Any word on a manager with teams reporting in a few day days. Heck JD Martinez might as well take over coaching while the FO jokers continue their horrid offseason moves.

The delay to me means the candidate is already here and knows, but they haven't announced it because it's someone from Cora's staff. They can't hire that person until after MLB clears them from penalty over the sign stealing otherwise it would look bad. I'm guessing Roencke.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The delay to me means the candidate is already here and knows, but they haven't announced it because it's someone from Cora's staff. They can't hire that person until after MLB clears them from penalty over the sign stealing otherwise it would look bad. I'm guessing Roencke.

Is there a timeline on that? Has any red sox team ever gone into spring training without an official manager?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

This reads as if the Red Sox traded Betts and Price for Verdugo and Maeda, and then flipped Maeda for Graterol. That’s so ******* stupid that if that’s the case, Bloom should be fired today.

We all just assumed that the Dodgers snookered the Twins into giving them Graterol for Maeda, and that at least made it seem like the Red Sox didn’t do the dumbest thing in the trade.

Reactions: LSCII

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This is MLB saying we want to go to Montreal and if Tampa wants to stay they have to split it with them - otherwise, Montreal will get it ( which is what MLB wants anyways )
Then let's just get the Expos back. I always liked going to their games and it would cost less now to stay in Montreal and see the Expos then pay Scarecrow Henry and his tourist prices at Fenway.

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Then let's just get the Expos back. I always liked going to their games and it would cost less now to stay in Montreal and see the Esxpos then pay Scarecrow Henry and his tourist prices at Fenway.

ya, exchange rate is great for American currency. I'd be all for it, but I'm at the point of I'll believe it when I see it for baseball coming back to MTL besides the 2 spring training games they give us. Actions speak louder than words from MLB

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ya, exchange rate is great for American currency. I'd be all for it, but I'm at the point of I'll believe it when I see it for baseball coming back to MTL besides the 2 spring training games they give us. Actions speak louder than words from MLB

MLB has pretty much told Montreal start building a stadium and we WILL come

Reactions: sarge88

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

This reads as if the Red Sox traded Betts and Price for Verdugo and Maeda, and then flipped Maeda for Graterol. That’s so ******* stupid that if that’s the case, Bloom should be fired today.

We all just assumed that the Dodgers snookered the Twins into giving them Graterol for Maeda, and that at least made it seem like the Red Sox didn’t do the dumbest thing in the trade.

it’s a three team deal- they had the deal agreed upon before it was executed so what does it matter? It’s not like they got kenta and were like “oh well we better hope we find somebody”

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I don't get it. What's the difference?

it’s a three team deal- they had the deal agreed upon before it was executed so what does it matter? It’s not like they got kenta and were like “oh well we better hope we find somebody”

It's the order of the deals.

I didn't really look at it as a classic 3 team deal because the deal as initially shown made it seem like the Red Sox aren't trading anything to the Twins. Now, it reads as if it's two separate deals (Betts & Price for Verdugo & Maeda, followed by Maeda for Graterol), and the first trade is gross incompetence because there's no reason they should have been interested in Maeda even from a value standpoint. I assumed the Red Sox went to the Dodgers, said they wanted a starting pitcher prospect, and then the Dodgers went and found one, since they didn't want to trade any of theirs. The idea was that the Red Sox weren't dealing with the Twins at all and they shouldn't have.

The trade benefits the Dodgers the most, so the fact that the Twins pitcher is insufficient shouldn't mean the Twins have to do anything now, and they'd have no interest because it's not like Maeda is great or anything. They thought they paid full value for him. It should be all about the Dodgers making up the difference.

To me, the order of the deals and what Bloom values is important, and I have a different view of him if he thinks that he should be working with the Twins versus the Dodgers on fixing the deal.

Reactions: Pia8988 and LSCII

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
What a cluster. People in this thread expressed concerns about this guys health before the medicals - why didn't the GM? I know they did after the fact, but now they have to try and
'work things out'. Its not like the Red Sox gave up the far more valuable asset in this deal.

I'm not a GM and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I'd think in this position I'd be looking at a guy without a series of injuries at 21..

Reactions: Lo97 and Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Still feels like they're talking to the wrong team. Do all 3 teams believe Maeda is worth a top prospect and Gaterol?

Reactions: LSCII

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

GOOD.

There should have been one to begin with. I'm fine if they still want Graterol, because of his youth and his stuff, but if he doesn't project as a SP, then his value is obviously lower.

I was happy when Bloom was announced, because of what he was part of with TB and having such few monetary resources, but his first deal has been an outright blunder.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I didn't really look at it as a classic 3 team deal because the deal as initially shown made it seem like the Red Sox aren't trading anything to the Twins. Now, it reads as if it's two separate deals (Betts & Price for Verdugo & Maeda, followed by Maeda for Graterol), and the first trade is gross incompetence because there's no reason they should have been interested in Maeda even from a value standpoint. I assumed the Red Sox went to the Dodgers, said they wanted a starting pitcher prospect, and then the Dodgers went and found one, since they didn't want to trade any of theirs. The idea was that the Red Sox weren't dealing with the Twins at all and they shouldn't have.
Do you really think that Bloom had agreed to take Maeda without knowing that he could be flipped to Minnesota for Graterol? I mean, that seems really far-fetched.

What a cluster. People in this thread expressed concerns about this guys health before the medicals - why didn't the GM?
Is it at all possible that the Red Sox knew he had an injury history and that he'd have to be babied before he could start on a full-time basis, but that Graterol's medical record were worse than they thought?

I mean, if teams had full knowledge of a player's medical history prior to trades being completed, there would be absolutely no need for physicals, right?

Reactions: CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Do you really think that Bloom had agreed to take Maeda without knowing that he could be flipped to Minnesota for Graterol? I mean, that seems really far-fetched.

Is it at all possible that the Red Sox knew he had an injury history and that he'd have to be babied before he could start on a full-time basis, but that Graterol's medical record were worse than they thought?

I mean, if teams had full knowledge of a player's medical history prior to trades being completed, there would be absolutely no need for physicals, right?

No, but I don't like how it's then Bloom's responsibility to hope that someone else values Maeda. The Red Sox are trading the best players. Bloom shouldn't have to go get more value himself. The Dodgers should have to do that. It gets into his mindset.

Should it be that big of a deal? No, probably not, but somehow the deal keeps looking worse and worse every day, and that's not good for a deal that was bad from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad