Red Sox/MLB 2020 Spring Training IX - Red Sox say Chris Sale has a flexor strain, will be reassessed in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A WCVB Editorial

Editorial: Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020: Sox losing Betts

Usually Major League Baseball's spring training brings hope of a new beginning, but this year it follows what has truly been "the winter of our discontent" for Red Sox fans.

The new year had barely begun when extremely popular Sox manager Alex Cora was forced to resign for of his central role in baseball's still-unfolding sign-stealing scandal. Then, just before Valentine's Day, the team broke fans' hearts when it traded superstar right fielder Mookie Betts and pitcher David Price to the Dodgers. Betts, along with Ted Williams, is generally regarded as one of the two best position players the team has ever developed. Betts is the complete package, on and off the field, and should have been face of the franchise for the foreseeable future.

Receiving limited value in return, the Red Sox effectively traded a Maserati for a minivan -- which is still in the shop.

A terrible trade aside, perhaps what's been most galling is the striking lack of candor from team owner John Henry. Back in September, Henry clearly stated that the team intended to bring its payroll -- baseball's highest -- under the luxury tax penalty. The Betts/Price trade fulfilled that promise. In recent weeks -- and after Red Sox nation loudly protested the gift-wrapped trade to Los Angeles -- Henry now portrays the money issue as a "media-driven narrative." What an odd and unattractive message from a man who presumably also takes pride in owning one of the nation's most respected newspapers.

John Henry deserves real and lasting credit for the success he has created with the Red Sox -- not just the titles, but the important work he's done to improve ties to the city's diverse communities and revitalization of Fenway. A possible mulligan looms for the beleaguered owner, as Mookie Betts will be a free agent after this season. Maybe the next title Henry should pursue is putting "Red Sox right fielder" in front of Betts' name once again.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I laughed at him claiming that Betts was second only to Ted Williams in terms of homegrown position players.

Yaz? Rice? Fisk? Babe Ruth?
Okay, he's better than Rice, but the rest ranges from debateable to laughable. Like, just ignore Yastrzemski's whole career to make a hot take like that. Ridiculous. And I loved Mookie.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I laughed at him claiming that Betts was second only to Ted Williams in terms of homegrown position players.

Okay, he's better than Rice, but the rest ranges from debateable to laughable. Like, just ignore Yastrzemski's whole career to make a hot take like that. Ridiculous. And I loved Mookie.

Babe Ruth, I heard he was pretty good!

mookie is spectacular and he may have a career that eclipses some of those greats. He’s in the conversation. He’s for sure not the locked-in 2nd best homegrown guy. There’s debate to be had

If I had to rank them based off of talent I would go
1) Ted
2) Ruth
3) Betts
4) Yaz
5) Fisk
6) Rice (can flip flop him and Fisk imo)

if Mookie doesn’t end up having longevity he slides below Yaz

Im not the best with this one though, I didn’t see the others plays lol

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Hey baseball buffs......fantasy question:
In a keeper H2H standard scoring roto would you trade Devers & Abreu for Alonso and Trea Turner....Essentially, what do you expect out of Devers this year? I'm a little skepical.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Since it is ROTO I might lean Trea and Alonso because they offer you help in more categories. Trea is generally ranked higher than Devers and Alonso is much higher than Aubreu. Although Trea and Devers are ranked within like ten picks of each other.

I feel like it’s your preference but I think Trea and Alonso are the better pairing.

@xgallantx

Reactions: xgallantx

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Babe Ruth, I heard he was pretty good!

mookie is spectacular and he may have a career that eclipses some of those greats. He’s in the conversation. He’s for sure not the locked-in 2nd best homegrown guy. There’s debate to be had

If I had to rank them based off of talent I would go
1) Ted
2) Ruth
3) Betts
4) Yaz
5) Fisk
6) Rice (can flip flop him and Fisk imo)

if Mookie doesn’t end up having longevity he slides below Yaz

Im not the best with this one though, I didn’t see the others plays lol
There was a point when I thought Nomar was going to be ahead of Yaz, Rice and Fisk, then the rest of his career didn’t materialize. As much as I enjoy watching Mookie and love what he brings to the game, it’s incredibly difficult to say that he’ll have better careers than 3 hall of famers until he puts some legs on his own career.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hey baseball buffs......fantasy question:
In a keeper H2H standard scoring roto would you trade Devers & Abreu for Alonso and Trea Turner....Essentially, what do you expect out of Devers this year? I'm a little skepical.

.300 with 35-40 bombs. I may have high expectations for him but I think he’s a baby monster

at first I thought we were talking about yonder Alonso lol. Basically comes down to if you think what he did with the juiced ball is real. I happen to think it probably was, even if he doesn’t hit 53 again he should be in the 40s

I honestly would do the real because I value Turner’s production up the middle

Reactions: xgallantx

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
A WCVB Editorial

Editorial: Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020: Sox losing Betts

Usually Major League Baseball's spring training brings hope of a new beginning, but this year it follows what has truly been "the winter of our discontent" for Red Sox fans.

The new year had barely begun when extremely popular Sox manager Alex Cora was forced to resign for of his central role in baseball's still-unfolding sign-stealing scandal. Then, just before Valentine's Day, the team broke fans' hearts when it traded superstar right fielder Mookie Betts and pitcher David Price to the Dodgers. Betts, along with Ted Williams, is generally regarded as one of the two best position players the team has ever developed. Betts is the complete package, on and off the field, and should have been face of the franchise for the foreseeable future.

Receiving limited value in return, the Red Sox effectively traded a Maserati for a minivan -- which is still in the shop.

A terrible trade aside, perhaps what's been most galling is the striking lack of candor from team owner John Henry. Back in September, Henry clearly stated that the team intended to bring its payroll -- baseball's highest -- under the luxury tax penalty. The Betts/Price trade fulfilled that promise. In recent weeks -- and after Red Sox nation loudly protested the gift-wrapped trade to Los Angeles -- Henry now portrays the money issue as a "media-driven narrative." What an odd and unattractive message from a man who presumably also takes pride in owning one of the nation's most respected newspapers.

John Henry deserves real and lasting credit for the success he has created with the Red Sox -- not just the titles, but the important work he's done to improve ties to the city's diverse communities and revitalization of Fenway. A possible mulligan looms for the beleaguered owner, as Mookie Betts will be a free agent after this season. Maybe the next title Henry should pursue is putting "Red Sox right fielder" in front of Betts' name once again.
What a dummy

maybe I’ll run into the writer at the Mobil/DD on Lowell st in Andover and quiz her about Verdugo, Downs, and Wong.

Stick to things you know about

Elvis P

Runnin with the Devil
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Before September, RPs faced one hitter less than 6% of the time last season.

The baseball mania has run its course. It has no future as a professional endeavor. Cincinnati Gazette editorial, 1879

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Is anyone shocked to hear about Sale's elbow? It was rubbish last year and he didn't do shit to fix it. He was supposed to be cleared to throw after 6 weeks and that turned into 4 months. Now he throws and it hurts again? Should have just gotten him TJ surgery last year and dealt with it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just another reason why keeping Mookie for this season, violating the luxury tax threshold for the third time, and risking losing him for nothing would have been a f***ing stupid idea

I would have him get the surgery at this point. I understand wanting to put it off if possible, it’s starting to look more and more like it’s not possible to do that

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Division is wide open. Its funny how none of us care about Sale missing the first couple weeks since everyone knows his innings need to be drastically limited no matter what.

Have we committed to the opener as the 5th starter?

they are talking about having two openers to start the season

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Division is wide open. Its funny how none of us care about Sale missing the first couple weeks since everyone knows his innings need to be drastically limited no matter what.

Have we committed to the opener as the 5th starter?

Toronto is an up and coming team. Could see Vlad Jr and Bichette keeping that team competitive. They'll certainly be interesting to watch. Shaw is a low cost high ceiling player that could turn it around while Ryu gives them a much needed arm

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Is anyone shocked to hear about Sale's elbow? It was rubbish last year and he didn't do shit to fix it. He was supposed to be cleared to throw after 6 weeks and that turned into 4 months. Now he throws and it hurts again? Should have just gotten him TJ surgery last year and dealt with it.

This is going to be a lonnngggg season for the Sox. I expect the pithing staff to routinely be lit up this year

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Millennial :eyeroll::shakehead

Reactions: BamZoni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad