Red Sox/MLB 2020 Spring Training IX - Red Sox say Chris Sale has a flexor strain, will be reassessed in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Workman can close games but I still think of him as closer as committee. I prefer him in the pen but they have nobody else. They went from a closer who saved 42 games to their closer saving 16 games, so they are still lacking a true closer.
Brandon Workman was one of the most dominant relief pitchers in all of baseball last year. He's their closer.

Erod is their # 1 now by default. He had a good year last year but he was their #4 to start the year. Will he repeat his 19 wins and 3.81 ERA, they'll certainly need him too. If they hit a losing streak they don't have a real ace who can be the stopper and take the ball the shut down an opposing team
It's starting to sound like it's a good thing they didn't go "all in" on this season and keep all of their pending free agents.

You keep talking about what the Red Sox are missing as if their plan is falling apart. It's not. The plan is to use the 2020 season to put the team in position to compete in 2021 and beyond.

They don't care that Chris Sale is hurt and might miss part of the season. They don't care that they only have three or four legit major league starters. They're going to use this season to evaluate who they want for next season and beyond, and who needs to be moved for useful assets. That's the plan. It's probably going to suck this year, but they'll be better off for it in the long run.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I can handle a bridge/reset year every now and then but just hate how it got to this point. Also, did they raise ticket prices this year? Tone deaf. I hope they take a hit at the ballpark (an overrated dump of a stadium) and in the NESN ratings. Dave O'Brien might be sweating it out at the end of the year when they blame him for the poor ratings!

Is this the last year in Pawtucket? Maybe I'll take my son there.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Brandon Workman was one of the most dominant relief pitchers in all of baseball last year. He's their closer.

It's starting to sound like it's a good thing they didn't go "all in" on this season and keep all of their pending free agents.

You keep talking about what the Red Sox are missing as if their plan is falling apart. It's not. The plan is to use the 2020 season to put the team in position to compete in 2021 and beyond.

They don't care that Chris Sale is hurt and might miss part of the season. They don't care that they only have three or four legit major league starters. They're going to use this season to evaluate who they want for next season and beyond, and who needs to be moved for useful assets. That's the plan. It's probably going to suck this year, but they'll be better off for it in the long run.

I'm very aware that they dont care this year. Whatever.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I still think we should trade Jackie while he has some value and sign Puig to a one-year deal.

I think that’s the problem- they overestimated JBJ’s market when they tendered him a a contract for $10 mill. I don’t know if teams see him as having value

If they had a time machine I bet they nontender him and try to bring him back at a lower number tbh (or just let him walk)

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
FWIW, if things go as poorly as I think they might this year, the Sox have picked up a TON of guys on one-year deals that they should be able to easily offload at the deadline, if they need to.

Pretty smart, actually.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Naturally we've all been looking at the pessimistic worst-case scenario what-ifs, but from the other side of things, this lineup's going to be good and the bullpen is solid. If Perez and McHugh (or Weber) give you even league-average production out of the back of the rotation, you've got a wild card contender.

The probability is that end results will be in between that and the dumpster fire we expect, so like an 86-win team that misses out on the playoffs may be the most probable outcome, but the fact that the good ending has a not-impossible chance of happening will keep me watching for a while.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If it was just a flexor strain, why did they need 3 different opinions? Not buying it at all.
Does anyone think this guy’s elbo isn’t cooked. Guy hasn’t even begun to pitch any it’s barking already. He knows what he has to do. The Red Sox are trying to manage it. Good luck. Just do the surgery. If he doesn’t come back then he doesn’t. He CANT pitch with this elbow like this!

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Does anyone think this guy’s elbo isn’t cooked. Guy hasn’t even begun to pitch any it’s barking already. He knows what he has to do. The Red Sox are trying to manage it. Good luck. Just do the surgery. If he doesn’t come back then he doesn’t. He CANT pitch with this elbow like this!

Apparently the only people that buy him just needing rest are the Sox, the 45 different doctors they sought out, and @CDJ :naughty:

Everyone else in the world realizes that this is nothing more than bullshit and that he's going to get the surgery at some point this season.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Apparently the only people that buy him just needing rest are the Sox, the 45 different doctors they sought out, and @CDJ :naughty:

Everyone else in the world realizes that this is nothing more than bullshit and that he's going to get the surgery at some point this season.

they sent an MRI to two of the top doctors in the country and they say no surgery right now. That is their words. You choose Tony Mazz, I choose medical doctors and science.

But yes he should get tommy john on a flexor issue, makes tons of sense. He may need the surgery in the future but for the 1000th time YOU DO NOT GET THE SURGERY UNLESS YOU 100% NEED IT. The top surgeons in the country aren’t there yet. Nobody cares if Tony Mazz and you are. Your opinions are worthless here, you do not have medicals

And for the 1000th time I do not think his elbow is ok. I like you but You’re being quite annoying.

like you guys realize he can get tommy john and he will still have the flexor issue, right? I don’t think you guys understand that. Its kind of hilarious. Kind of annoying. But hey, the posters on a hockey message board know more about pitching injuries than James Andrews

In conclusion maybe he needs it down the line. Docs say no right now. That’s quite literally all that matters. If they decide in 3 weeks that he’s not getting better and they need to cut him open then that’s the decision and it doesn’t hold them back for next year. Might as well try every option before deciding on taking a tendon from his wrist and moving it to his elbow (for obvious reasons)

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
they sent an MRI to two of the top doctors in the country and they say no surgery right now. That is their words. You choose Tony Mazz, I choose medical doctors and science.

But yes he should get tommy john on a flexor issue, makes tons of sense. He may need the surgery in the future but for the 1000th time YOU DO NOT GET THE SURGERY UNLESS YOU 100% NEED IT. The top surgeons in the country aren’t there yet. Nobody cares if Tony Mazz and you are. Your opinions are worthless here, you do not have medicals

And for the 1000th time I do not think his elbow is ok. I like you but You’re being quite annoying.

like you guys realize he can get tommy john and he will still have the flexor issue, right? I don’t think you guys understand that. Its kind of hilarious. Kind of annoying. But hey, the posters on a hockey message board know more about pitching injuries than James Andrews

In conclusion maybe he needs it down the line. Docs say no right now. That’s quite literally all that matters. If they decide in 3 weeks that he’s not getting better and they need to cut him open then that’s the decision and it doesn’t hold them back for next year. Might as well try every option before deciding on taking a tendon from his wrist and moving it to his elbow (for obvious reasons)

You do realize that I was just breaking your chops by including you on that list, no? :laugh:

I just see the tea leaves for what they are. Dude got shut down by this elbow issue last year, was cleared to pitch and lasted all of 15 tosses before it came back. So no, I don't believe Tony Mazz. I believe what I see. And that's a pitcher that isn't able to pitch. He got 7 months off, and it took nothing more than a few throws to come back. No amount of rest will fix that, IMO.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I think that’s the problem- they overestimated JBJ’s market when they tendered him a a contract for $10 mill. I don’t know if teams see him as having value

If they had a time machine I bet they nontender him and try to bring him back at a lower number tbh (or just let him walk)

He signed an $11m per contract. Not to be argumentative, but I don't think they overestimated his market. There were several sources that forecasted that he would get that amount, including the Patriot-Ledger (4th graf) and MLB Trade Rumors.

I don't think JBJ ends the season in a Sox uniform. I'll be surprised if he and Pillar remain with the team when the trade deadline is over. Their defense and power from the CF position represents considerable value for contending teams.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You do realize that I was just breaking your chops by including you on that list, no? :laugh:

I just see the tea leaves for what they are. Dude got shut down by this elbow issue last year, was cleared to pitch and lasted all of 15 tosses before it came back. So no, I don't believe Tony Mazz. I believe what I see. And that's a pitcher that isn't able to pitch. He got 7 months off, and it took nothing more than a few throws to come back. No amount of rest will fix that, IMO.

I got 4 hours of sleep IM SORRY IM CRANKY! :laugh:

And I hear you, it’s definitely not a good situation. It’s just that these flexor issues can be common this time of year when you have just began throwing. I’d imagine their hoping that’s all it is. From the sounds of it there seems to be damage to the UCL from last year (their quotes yesterday being that his UCL looks the same as last time, not the UCL looks 100%).

media also asked Sale if he needs to fully blow out his elbow to get the surgery and he didn’t seem too sure. It’s a tough spot for him to be in. The doctors don’t think surgery is the move yet he knows he still feels elbow pain.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He signed an $11m per contract. Not to be argumentative, but I don't think they overestimated his market. There were several sources that forecasted that he would get that amount, including the Patriot-Ledger (4th graf) and MLB Trade Rumors.

I don't think JBJ ends the season in a Sox uniform. I'll be surprised if he and Pillar remain with the team when the trade deadline is over. Their defense and power from the CF position represents considerable value for contending teams.

I’m not talking about his money when I say overestimated his market, I’m talking about having willing trade partners. I don’t think teams want to pay him $11 mill for 1 year when he didn’t hit well and his defense took a step back

In other words if the Sox could have traded him they would’ve by now imo. Things may change come the deadline with better performance and a reduced payout required by the acquiring team, but as of now I don’t think any teams out there are all that interested

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I’m not talking about his money when I say overestimated his market, I’m talking about having willing trade partners. I don’t think teams want to pay him $11 mill for 1 year when he didn’t hit well and his defense took a step back

In other words if the Sox could have traded him they would’ve by now imo. Things may change come the deadline with better performance and a reduced payout required by the acquiring team, but as of now I don’t think any teams out there are all that interested
Apologies, I misunderstood your point about his market.

It's been reported that several teams have interest (e.g. Rangers, Reds, Padres, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Diamondbacks, to name a few). Predictably, the hang up is/was compensation. There are also better options. The D-Backs, for example, decided that Starling Marte provided better value, and I certainly don't fault them for that because he is more valuable. I'm not so sure that the Sox are quite ready to deal JBJ. I think they will be much more amenable to it when Verdugo proves that he's ready to play everyday.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Apologies, I misunderstood your point about his market.

It's been reported that several teams have interest (e.g. Rangers, Reds, Padres, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Diamondbacks, to name a few). Predictably, the hang up is/was compensation. There are also better options. The D-Backs, for example, decided that Starling Marte provided better value, and I certainly don't fault them for that because he is more valuable. I'm not so sure that the Sox are quite ready to deal JBJ. I think they will be much more amenable to it when Verdugo proves that he's ready to play everyday.

It’s a very good point

if they were to move him and not sign a guy they would almost have to give us the Rusney show now lol. They aren’t exactly deep and JBJ’s presence allows them to not rush Duran

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
They haven't shared the MRIs with me yet and I'm too lazy to look this up. So for TJ surgery, there has to at least be a partial tear? And Sale does not have that? But he does have things on the MRI that lead them to believe he could potentially have TJ in the future? But it's not something they proactively do? It's something where you simply wait for it to snap? If that is all correct, this is the absolute worst case scenario for everyone. I can't imagine it's all that comforting for a pitcher to have in the back of their mind that any pitch could be the final straw. Not to mention he has had shoulder issues on top of it. And from a team's perspective there is no way we will ever see the best of Chris Sale again unless he actually does have TJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->