2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I'm surprised there aren't trade rumours about Demko. Makes more sense to trade him than Stecher.

After Markstrom is re-signed, absolutely. You pull the trigger now and Markstrom's agent asks for a blank cheque.

Stecher is a guy you probably won't even want to qualify. It's move him now, or he likely walks in the summer, just like Hutton. The fact they are looking to trade him means they're trying to get out in front of something for once.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

member 290103

After Markstrom is re-signed, absolutely. You pull the trigger now and Markstrom's agent asks for a blank cheque.

Stecher is a guy you probably won't even want to qualify. It's move him now, or he likely walks in the summer, just like Hutton. The fact they are looking to trade him means they're trying to get out in front of something for once.

lol, no it isn’t! The only reason he’s in trade rumours is that someone else wants him. This management t am doesn’t give a shit about anything beyond what’s immediately in front of them.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
lol, no it isn’t! The only reason he’s in trade rumours is that someone else wants him. This management t am doesn’t give a shit about anything beyond what’s immediately in front of them.

He’s in rumours because the Canucks apparently have been shopping him, for a while.

They can’t really afford to deal him unless they get a right dman back, so a move is unlikely.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
After seeing what buffalo did with Bogosian, Can Benning not try and do the same with loui.

Can't see him wanting to move his family to Utica for 2 years, might cause him to ot report so we can terminate the contract or make him retire. Would be nice if that money somehow disappeared.

But again I dont see how we are so loyal to a guy in Loui that does nothing for us, but we have names like Stetcher, Gaudette and other prospects in trade rumors.

Bogosian was a pending UFA and is essentially banking on himself getting a short term deal as a 6-7th defenseman in the hopes it'll garner interest in him during the off season. Pretty much everyone knows Eriksson is done. He's not walking away from 12M because there's not a chance in hell he sees anywhere close to that many. Look at Cory Schneider. He's pretty content rotting in the AHL because he knows his career is over the day that contract ends.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Bogosian was a pending UFA and is essentially banking on himself getting a short term deal as a 6-7th defenseman in the hopes it'll garner interest in him during the off season. Pretty much everyone knows Eriksson is done. He's not walking away from 12M because there's not a chance in hell he sees anywhere close to that many. Look at Cory Schneider. He's pretty content rotting in the AHL because he knows his career is over the day that contract ends.

After Loui receives his bonus this summer, he has $5mil coming his way over the final 2 years. After tax, he's looking at taking in around $1.3mil a year to ride busses, in a sleepy town, away from his 4 kids. What are the odds a guy that has earned $60mil over the course of his career, and owns 4 high end restaurants in Sweden, is going to waste away in Utica for 2 years to finish his career?

IMO that just doesn't sound all that plausible. The biggest question is, would Benning ice Loui like that? That's the more legitimate concern.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
After Loui receives his bonus this summer, he has $5mil coming his way over the final 2 years. After tax, he's looking at taking in around $1.3mil a year to ride busses, in a sleepy town, away from his 4 kids. What are the odds a guy that has earned $60mil over the course of his career, and owns 4 high end restaurants in Sweden, is going to waste away in Utica for 2 years to finish his career?

IMO that just doesn't sound all that plausible. The biggest question is, would Benning ice Loui like that? That's the more legitimate concern.
You're almost making it sound possible.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If Boeser can get back healthy for the playoffs...

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - Sutter
Eriksson - MacEwen

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Fantenberg - Myers
Benn

Markstrom
Demko

so.... one more #4~6 defensemen with playoff experience before the deadline?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Motte - Beagle - Sutter
Eriksson - MacEwen

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Fantenberg - Myers
Benn

Markstrom
Demko

I'd keep Toffoli with Miller and Pettersson and put Boeser with Horvat and Pearson. Putting Boeser on Horvat's line was something a lot of us were wanting anyway before he got injured and the Canucks acquired Toffoli. He needed a bit of a change.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I'd keep Toffoli with Miller and Pettersson and put Boeser with Horvat and Pearson. Putting Boeser on Horvat's line was something a lot of us were wanting anyway before he got injured and the Canucks acquired Toffoli. He needed a bit of a change.

I would argue that Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli might be more suited as a match up line against other team's top lines, while Miller - Pettersson - Boeser can then be free'd to do their thing against other lines.

But mark my words, if Pearson - McEwen - Toffoli line becomes a thing and they start calling it the 70s line, I might have to buy a new TV because mine will be broken.

Reactions: David71

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

Motte - Beagle - Sutter
Eriksson - MacEwen

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Fantenberg - Myers
Benn

Markstrom
Demko

I am totally fine with this (and I might swap toffoli and boeser, like some have mentioned). Would rather not deplete our prospect depth and lose more picks to add meh rental pieces. If you can find a cheap depth D or gritty forward (and/or move out some boat anchor contracts) then fine but otherwise standing pat seems good.

Rede

Jun 21, 2010
A good defensive LHD would be a great fit with Myers and give the Canucks 3 strong D pairs with depth given that Benn can play RHD.

If rumours are true that Brodin is on the block I wonder if the Canucks have inquired. He'd be a good fit and has one more year on a reasonable contract, then is a free agent at the same time Edler, Sutter, et al come off the books (and we need to resign Petey and Hughes.) Would effectively be expansion exempt though if he wasn't re-signed before the draft.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
A good defensive LHD would be a great fit with Myers and give the Canucks 3 strong D pairs with depth given that Benn can play RHD.

If rumours are true that Brodin is on the block I wonder if the Canucks have inquired. He'd be a good fit and has one more year on a reasonable contract, then is a free agent at the same time Edler, Sutter, et al come off the books (and we need to resign Petey and Hughes.) Would effectively be expansion exempt though if he wasn't re-signed before the draft.
Green keeps on scratching Benn..wonder if he is moved instead of Stecher.or maybe both..

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
For the first time since Bennings been GM, the team might actually have 2 legitimate real scoring lines. That’s if Boeser does come back.. the forward lines have some decent depth to them. No real weaknesses. Maybe lacking in one more offensive winger to replace Pearson’s 2nd line spot but decent nonetheless.

If Benning can actually swing a trade for a good defensive RS dman then this team might actually win a round (if they get in to the playoffs).

Now that’s highly unlikely and I would def not advocate for Benning to push all his chips in but looking at the team as a whole.. D is the only position that they’re really weak in.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Demko's value would drop at that point though.

Would much rather have something lined up in principle with Markstrom, keep it quiet, and then move Demko at a premium.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
For the first time since Bennings been GM, the team might actually have 2 legitimate real scoring lines. That’s if Boeser does come back.. the forward lines have some decent depth to them. No real weaknesses. Maybe lacking in one more offensive winger to replace Pearson’s 2nd line spot but decent nonetheless.

What's it going to cost to better this kind of production? Chris Kreider is the best forward on the market, and those are the numbers he puts up...

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Demko's value would drop at that point though.

Would much rather have something lined up in principle with Markstrom, keep it quiet, and then move Demko at a premium.

IMO you're not going to get the best number possible on Markstrom unless you're willing to wait this out to the final hours.

And if Markstrom gets hurt, you're left scrambling.

Demko should be traded if Marky signs, just not until then.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
I like Pearson. Just don’t think he’s a top 6 winger on a Stanley cup contending team. Especially on a team as average as this one.

Now if Pearson was pushed to the third line LW spot and potted 20 goals. That’s potentially a Stanley Cup contending team.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I like Pearson. Just don’t think he’s a top 6 winger on a Stanley cup contending team. Especially on a team as average as this one.

Now if Pearson was pushed to the third line LW spot and potted 20 goals. That’s potentially a Stanley Cup contending team.

Is it his production from the 2nd line you're hoping to improve upon?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

I mean he did win a Stanley Cup as a second-line winger LOL

Reactions: ManoWarrior

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Is it his production from the 2nd line you're hoping to improve upon?

Pearson scores a lot of goals from hard work and hustle. He has a heavy shot but he isn’t the type to make plays for the players on his line.

Now if Horvat wasn’t the second line center and you had a center that was more of a playmaking offensive catalyst then I would be very content having Pearson on the second line. But currently the second line looks more like a third line. And I think come playoff time Pearson Horvat and whoever they decide to play right wing with them, will have a difficult time being dependent upon scoring.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
I mean he did win a Stanley Cup as a second-line winger LOL

You mean the team that had Kopitar, Carter, Williams, Richards, Toffoli, Gaborik, Brown, King, Stoll, Clifford..

Come on man at least read what I said before posting. I said a team especially as average as this one. The Kings were pretty damn strong forward depth wise.

The pro Benning crowd is getting almost as unbearable as the Benning detractors. It’s getting tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad