2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
The rumored extension of Muzzin for 4 years at $5.5M AAV bodes well for re-signing Tanev around $4.5M per year. Same age and Muzzin brings more offensively to the table, while still being a rock defensively.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
The rumored extension of Muzzin for 4 years at $5.5M AAV bodes well for re-signing Tanev around $4.5M per year. Same age and Muzzin brings more offensively to the table, while still being a rock defensively.

Yup, Muzzin is clearly a more valuable asset than Tanev.

Still think 3 years at $5mil gets Tanev done.

Reactions: Horvat1C

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I still think tanev will get something starting with a 5. And to be honest with the expansion draft coming up I’d side with caution here. He’s been injury riddled, this year (seems) to be an exception. Maybe you only offer a short term deal. Which may mean he will walk.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I would be hesitant to bring Tanev back. He is fading. His lack of offense hinders Hughes when in the zone. He takes abuse but does not give it. I rather bring in new dmen for Tanev and Stecher. TT is a better 2 way player and will need the same money. Many Teams have won without committees of midrange dmen. The difference between Tanev, Stecher and replacement dmen is not large. Though The worry is Benning has not been able to find them. So I could be swayed to keeping Stecher as right side insurance while letting Tanev go.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah definitely, a huge 50k raise for tanev on his first and last big UFA contract when a worse myers just signed with the same management team certainly seems like its realistic and sensible.

Reactions: Hansen

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Yeah definitely, a huge 50k raise for tanev on his first and last big UFA contract when a worse myers just signed with the same management team certainly seems like its realistic and sensible.

The market values a 6’8 d-man with career 30 points/82 games more than Tanev. Doesn’t make it right but that’s the way it is.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If we managed our cap more responsibly, I'd be looking into a Jensen + sweetener (someone like Damien Riat) for Stecher swap.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I do have to say, if Boeser injury is not as serious as reported and they are simply holding him out for the remainder of the regular season to give him a rest (he is hurt, and I feel like he's been playing hurt a lot of the year) and also get the cap space to take a run at this playoff opportunity, that's a pretty shrewd move.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I do have to say, if Boeser injury is not as serious as reported and they are simply holding him out for the remainder of the regular season to give him a rest (he is hurt, and I feel like he's been playing hurt a lot of the year) and also get the cap space to take a run at this playoff opportunity, that's a pretty shrewd move.

Until they get caught for circumventing the cap, lol

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Here's another stab at next year's roster:

Miller (5.25) – Petterson (0.925) – Virtanen (3.5)
Pearson (3.75) – Horvat (5.5) – Toffoli (5)
Motte (1.25) – Sutter (4.375) – Kunin (3)
Roussel (3) – Gaudette (1.5) – Leivo (2)
MacEwan (0.925)

Hughes (0.916) – Tanev (5)
Brodin (4.1) – Myers (6)
Edler (6) – Rafferty (0.9)
Fantenberg (1)

Markstrom (6)
Demko (1)

Spooner buyout (1)
Luongo cap re-capture (3)
Hughes & Petterson bonuses (4)
Baertschi (2.3)

Boeser for Brodin & Kunin
Ferland – retires / LITR
Stecher – not qualified
Eriksson – retires
Benn – traded
Beagle - traded

Obviously the bolded are long shots :) But I'm trying...

Contracts expiring at the end of 2021:

Edler (6)
Pearson (3.75)
Brodin (4.1)
Leivo (2)
Sutter (4.375)
Spooner buyout (1)
Baertschi (2.3)

27.525 (including 4 for the bonuses) coming off the books which should give the team room to re-sign Hughes and Petterson. Obviously a lot of depth disappears, however if the cap rises that year as it’s expected to, and the team lets Sutter walk (which allows Kunin to take over the 3rd line C role), and Podkolzin comes in and earns a top 9 RW spot on an ELC, it may be possible to re-sign all of Edler, Brodin and Pearson.

This gives the team a designated shut-down line with a built-in replacement for Sutter when he is inevitably injured, as well as a new 3rd line C moving forward. Should in theory improve the team’s overall defensive play which has been an issue this season. As well allows for a player like Podkolzin to make the roster in the fall of 2021.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Here's another stab at next year's roster:

Miller (5.25) – Petterson (0.925) – Virtanen (3.5)
Pearson (3.75) – Horvat (5.5) – Toffoli (5)
Motte (1.25) – Sutter (4.375) – Kunin (3)
Roussel (3) – Gaudette (1.5) – Leivo (2)
MacEwan (0.925)

Hughes (0.916) – Tanev (5)
Brodin (4.1) – Myers (6)
Edler (6) – Rafferty (0.9)
Fantenberg (1)

Markstrom (6)
Demko (1)

Spooner buyout (1)
Luongo cap re-capture (3)
Hughes & Petterson bonuses (4)
Baertschi (2.3)

Boeser for Brodin & Kunin
Ferland – retires / LITR
Stecher – not qualified
Eriksson – retires
Benn – traded
Beagle - traded

Obviously the bolded are long shots :) But I'm trying...

Contracts expiring at the end of 2021:

Edler (6)
Pearson (3.75)
Brodin (4.1)
Leivo (2)
Sutter (4.375)
Spooner buyout (1)
Baertschi (2.3)

27.525 (including 4 for the bonuses) coming off the books which should give the team room to re-sign Hughes and Petterson. Obviously a lot of depth disappears, however if the cap rises that year as it’s expected to, and the team lets Sutter walk (which allows Kunin to take over the 3rd line C role), and Podkolzin comes in and earns a top 9 RW spot on an ELC, it may be possible to re-sign all of Edler, Brodin and Pearson.

This gives the team a designated shut-down line with a built-in replacement for Sutter when he is inevitably injured, as well as a new 3rd line C moving forward. Should in theory improve the team’s overall defensive play which has been an issue this season. As well allows for a player like Podkolzin to make the roster in the fall of 2021.

Bit of a nitpick but the bonuses aren't really off the books as Petey and Hughes can hit them again and doesn't look like you'll have room for them.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As far as I can tell, it's .850 per year for each of Hughes & EP for bonuses. So, 3.4 total should cover them for 2019-20 & 2020-21.

Maybe EP hits his B bonuses but as of now I think you are safe not including that in roster predictions for next year.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
The muzzin extension is basically what to expect a Tanev extension to look like.

Stralman got 3 x $5.5 last off-season.
Muzzin is a far superior player who is bigger, significantly more durable, and has 3 40+ pts seasons under his belt. If Tanev asks for a similar contract, he can get it elsewhere.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'd rather let Tanev walk and try to trade for Dumba. Is he potentially on the market or is that just hogwash?
Wild fans seem to think Dumba only gets dealt for a good young center or a young top line winger.

Tanev + assets needed for Dumba > Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad