Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Ferland
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Myers
Tryamkin-Rafferty

Markstrom
Demko. (or another back-up if Demko is used as a sweetener to move Eriksson).

Gone:

-Schaller
-Leivo
-Benn (Trade after season)
-Fantenberg
-Stecher (trade after season or not qualified)
-Sutter (trade after season)
-Baertschi (trade after season)
-(possibly Eriksson somehow).

We’ll probably have to let go of Tanev unfortunately, but we’ll see what management does.

(and yes, I realize that I’m being extremely optimistic in this forecast).

Last edited:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Doubt we trade Benn after just signing him this offseason. Also why not keep Fantenberg?

I'd be ok with a Stecher trade and giving Rafferty a look. Also while Leivo's injury is a really unfortunate it may mean the Canucks can re-sign him for another year or two as a reduced rate.

Not sure how we will move Baertschi, Eriksson and Sutter lol but I hope they are all traded.

member 290103

Doubt we trade Benn after just signing him this offseason. Also why not keep Fantenberg?

I'd be ok with a Stecher trade and giving Rafferty a look. Also while Leivo's injury is a really unfortunate it may mean the Canucks can re-sign him for another year or two as a reduced rate.

Not sure how we will move Baertschi, Eriksson and Sutter lol but I hope they are all traded.

Benning is not skilled enough to make any of these sorts of trades. If Aqualini was smart, he'd bring in someone to help Benning make some of these moves. It's a shame Gilman was not there any more - and used properly.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hopefully we trade guys like Schaller, Sutter Benn, Motte at the deadline this year.

I'd only do that if we were 5 or more points out of wildcard contention. If we were neck and neck for the playoffs however, I'd keep those guys to help us get into the playoffs.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Clearly once we have our core pieces signed up and our fat removed we will be in a really good position, these next three years are essentially playoff building years and by the fourth year we should be competing for the Cup.

During this three year stretch we will audition and decide whether Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovich, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Madden, Rafferty, Rathbone and Dipetro will have a place at the table

Sutter and Erickson will be gone.
Pearson, Leivo, Schaller, Motte, Ferlund maybe here maybe not
Gaudette, Virtanen, Horvat, Petey, Boeser, Hughes, Miller for sure

This is when we go after the big fish. My only hope is we don’t add any big contracts between now and then.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Clearly once we have our core pieces signed up and our fat removed we will be in a really good position, these next three years are essentially playoff building years and by the fourth year we should be competing for the Cup.

During this three year stretch we will audition and decide whether Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovich, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Madden, Rafferty, Rathbone and Dipetro will have a place at the table

This is when we go after the big fish. My only hope is we don’t add any big contracts between now and then.

:clap:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Baertschi and Sutter will have one year deals left after this season. I don’t think it would be impossible to move either of those players to teams at the end of the Summer (once other teams have figured out their cap for the coming season and can plan accordingly).

You make a good point about Fantenberg. I would be inclined to keep Fantenberg, but we’d have to make room for Tryamkin if he wanted to come back. However - if Tree wants too much money, then we might have to pass (and stick with Fantenberg)...........unless of course, management sees Tryamkin as being a Tanev replacement in a 2nd pairing role (ie they proceed with Hughes and Myers on a top pairing, and Edler/Tryamkin on a 2nd). I’m not sure if we go this route however. Tanev is too valuable for us as a defensive defenseman.

As far as Eriksson goes, I think he’ll retire once he gets his signing bonus after July 1st. He’ll have 31 of his 36 million after July 1st, and the Canucks will also be completely off the hook as far as his cap goes (ie it’s not a Kovalchuk-like situation where the Kings are still going to be on the hook for Kovy’s cap hit......this year and next).

Im about to go into speculation mode here, but this is what I think might have happened:

I think it’s possible that the Canucks and Loui Eriksson came to some kind of handshake deal where Eriksson wouldn’t get sent to the minors this year, with the expectation that he’d retire after July 1st and save the Canucks some cap.

I am absolutely speculating on the above by the way, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Canucks and Eriksson made some kind of agreement like that. This *might* also explain why the Canucks had no qualms or hesitation in signing Michael Ferland (without worrying too much about the potential cap ramifications long term). Again - I am completely speculating here.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Genius or crazy?

Miller-Pettersson-Motte
Pearson-Horvat-Boeser
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-[Eriksson or Ferland]

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
Fantenberg-Myers

Markstrom
Demko

I’m wondering if Motte could be the new Burrows? Roussel pretty much is that guy already, but I love the chemistry that he’s developed with Gaudette and Virtanen. Mind you, Schaller, Beagle, and Motte have great chemistry as well, but the entire complexion of that line changes when Motte is down there. Motte is fast, tenacious, and smart........sounds a lot like Burrows right?

If Motte somehow connects on that top line, then the other lines get depth by default.

I dunno........worth an experiment?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I don’t think anything is “clear”.

So far the team has signed for 22/23 4th year): Horvat in his final year at $5.5m, Miller in his final year at $5.25m, Myers $6m, Ferland $3.5m.

That’s a pretty solid base at $20.25m.

I think you have to assume Pettersson and Hughes are making big money. Let’s assume $11m for Pettersson and $8.75m for Hughes.

Now you’re up to $40m.

I think these are the only players you can expect will still be on the team in 4 years. I didn’t include Boeser because he’s going to command a double digit cap hit based on expected PPG production and I’m not sure he’s the wisest long term commitment.

It’s very important how they manage that future cap allocation. Like you’ve stated it’s about 2-4 years from now, which is why people have been against the timing of trading a 1st, even if they’ve got a really good player in JT Miller.

Hopefully they can manage to not overspend and add more clutter, but I don’t really expect it.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah the key is not to sign anymore bad contracts in the meantime. The old contracts will be coming off the books but if Benning just replaces them with new bad contracts then we won’t be going anywhere. I think it really boils down to whether you think he’s learned anything from the Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle etc contracts.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Baertschi and Sutter will have one year deals left after this season. I don’t think it would be impossible to move either of those players to teams at the end of the Summer (once other teams have figured out their cap for the coming season and can plan accordingly).

You make a good point about Fantenberg. I would be inclined to keep Fantenberg, but we’d have to make room for Tryamkin if he wanted to come back. However - if Tree wants too much money, then we might have to pass (and stick with Fantenberg)...........unless of course, management sees Tryamkin as being a Tanev replacement in a 2nd pairing role (ie they proceed with Hughes and Myers on a top pairing, and Edler/Tryamkin on a 2nd). I’m not sure if we go this route however. Tanev is too valuable for us as a defensive defenseman.

As far as Eriksson goes, I think he’ll retire once he gets his signing bonus after July 1st. He’ll have 31 of his 36 million after July 1st, and the Canucks will also be completely off the hook as far as his cap goes (ie it’s not a Kovalchuk-like situation where the Kings are still going to be on the hook for Kovy’s cap hit......this year and next).

Im about to go into speculation mode here, but this is what I think might have happened:

I think it’s possible that the Canucks and Loui Eriksson came to some kind of handshake deal where Eriksson wouldn’t get sent to the minors this year, with the expectation that he’d retire after July 1st and save the Canucks some cap.

I am absolutely speculating on the above by the way, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Canucks and Eriksson made some kind of agreement like that. This *might* also explain why the Canucks had no qualms or hesitation in signing Michael Ferland (without worrying too much about the potential cap ramifications long term). Again - I am completely speculating here.

I think you are being wildly optimistic regarding Baertschi, Sutter and Eriksson. Don't see any of that happening to be honest with you.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Teams winning games without Sutter. Hopefully, Mgmt ships him out at the TDL.
Teams typically dont aquire injured players with term.

Just keep him as depth. He can play RW where Eriksson is or C if someone gets banged up. In the off season maybe we can move him

Reactions: NUhockey

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think these are the only players you can expect will still be on the team in 4 years. I didn’t include Boeser because he’s going to command a double digit cap hit based on expected PPG production and I’m not sure he’s the wisest long term commitment.

Can you explain how you came to the conclusion that Boeser will get a double digit AAV on his next contract?

7.5m is the base figure his camp will negotiate from. Are you calculating it by that AAV as a percentage of the current cap?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

jester00

Jun 9, 2011
Western Canada
Man with the moves Montreal is making looking like they are trying to stay in the race, I'd be ringing up Bergevin trying to get a deal done for Sven. Baertschi for Wiese and one of Montreal's 4th or 5th rounders.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Can you explain how you came to the conclusion that Boeser will get a double digit AAV on his next contract?

7.5m is the base figure his camp will negotiate from. Are you calculating it by that AAV as a percentage of the current cap?
I did this numerous times in the Boeser extension thread but sure.

3 years from now the league will have a Seattle expansion fee plus a new US TV deal, which will provide a massive influence to the cap.

PPG players get paid. I don’t care to discuss the virtues of Brock’s effort or two way game, but he produces.

Jeff Skinner just got $9m in today’s market and has never been as prolific. I expect this is the cost for these players moving forward based on cap %. I’d be shocked if Brock produces like he has this year and previously and even entertains signing the qualifying offer.

I realize $7.5m is start for the team but I doubt that’s where Boeser’s agent starts it. Agents don’t start at the bottom. Getting a massive next deal, and no $7.5m isn’t massive, was the entire idea behind the bridge imo.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Probably will be somewhere around that if Skinner's contract is used as a comparable. He makes 10 mil for 6 years, then 7 and 5 the next two years. 9m average. Will probably be 10.5-12 mil for Boeser's UFA years since he is signing in 3 years. His RFA year will probably be worth 8m. If Boeser signs an 8 year deal making 8m for his RFA year, 10.5 for 6 UFA years and, 7m last year, his cap hit would be 9.75 million.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think you are being wildly optimistic regarding Baertschi, Sutter and Eriksson. Don't see any of that happening to be honest with you.
You are probably right, but I wonder if now would be a good time to try to get something from the Penguins for Sven?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Boeser isn’t worth 10.5 million (atleast as of this writing), and the Canucks should walk away from Boeser at that time if he’s asking for that much (in doubt he will anyways).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Virtanen for Noah Dobson:

I’m not saying that I would do this necessarily, but....

1) Do you think this is fair value?
2) Would you pull the trigger on a deal like this if it was offered to you?
3) If the Canucks had to add here, what would they have to add?

Last edited:

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
Virtanen for Noah Dobson:

I’m not saying that I would do this necessarily, but....

1) Do you think this is fair value?
2) Would you pull the trigger on a deal like this if it was offered to you?
3) If the Canucks had to add here, what would they have to add?
Certainly I’d do it. The Islanders wouldn’t though. Dobson is going to be a top pairing all situations D man who’s big, fast and is a RH shot.

Speaking of Dobson it would have been nice for Lou to cut him loose for the WJC since he’s hardly getting any playing time for the Islanders. I understand the Hawks not letting Dach go as he’s actually playing, but Dobson rarely ever plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad