2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Ferland retiring might not be a long shot but I wouldn't count on it. How long was Baertschi out with his lingering concussion symptoms? Now he's played nearly a whole season in the AHL without any reported problems. If I had to bet, I'd bet on Ferland being back for training camp.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I do have to say, if Boeser injury is not as serious as reported and they are simply holding him out for the remainder of the regular season to give him a rest (he is hurt, and I feel like he's been playing hurt a lot of the year) and also get the cap space to take a run at this playoff opportunity, that's a pretty shrewd move.

I don't think they have the capability of being that shrewd, and even if they were this team's not good enough to be able to afford to simply sit Boeser for the rest of the season.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Ferland retiring might not be a long shot but I wouldn't count on it. How long was Baertschi out with his lingering concussion symptoms? Now he's played nearly a whole season in the AHL without any reported problems. If I had to bet, I'd bet on Ferland being back for training camp.

Which is why I put him as retiring or on LITR.

One question hopefully someone can answer - can the team use LITR space to pay out the bonuses? IE say Edler is out for 1/2 the season, is the team able to use that space to pay out the bonuses even if they are up against the cap?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I believe Ferland has already come out and said he is not retiring and is planning on being back for next season. Obviously things can change, but I don't think we can bank on him being on LTIR for next season at this point.

Reactions: timw33

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
One question hopefully someone can answer - can the team use LITR space to pay out the bonuses? IE say Edler is out for 1/2 the season, is the team able to use that space to pay out the bonuses even if they are up against the cap?

I don’t know for sure, but I’d doubt it. The extra space created on LTIR is intended to be used to replace injured players, not pay bonuses.

Reactions: timw33 and m9

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I believe Ferland has already come out and said he is not retiring and is planning on being back for next season. Obviously things can change, but I don't think we can bank on him being on LTIR for next season at this point.

To be fair, he pretty much has to say that if he wants to be paid. He’s certainly not going to walk away from his contract, but if the doctors tell him he can’t play anymore, that’s a different story.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
To be fair, he pretty much has to say that if he wants to be paid. He’s certainly not going to walk away from his contract, but if the doctors tell him he can’t play anymore, that’s a different story.

For sure, but you can pretty safely rule out retirement as a scenario. LTIR is obviously still on the table.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Hughes is scoring at essentially the same rate as Chabot did the year before his 8x8 extension. If the player is willing to sign a deal this offseason or next training camp, we could probably work out a long term deal around 8.5 million per.

It's a bit more of a risk for both the player and the team though since Hughes will have only played one full year whereas Chabot played two. I would definitely do it from a team perspective but Hughes' camp will likely want to play next year as well.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Hughes is scoring at essentially the same rate as Chabot did the year before his 8x8 extension. If the player is willing to sign a deal this offseason or next training camp, we could probably work out a long term deal around 8.5 million per.

It's a bit more of a risk for both the player and the team though since Hughes will have only played one full year whereas Chabot played two. I would definitely do it from a team perspective but Hughes' camp will likely want to play next year as well.

I think that's a good comparable and would lock up Hughes to that deal.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's a bit more of a risk for both the player and the team

There's not really any risk for Vancouver if you sign him for 8 years. He's already producing and playing at a level worth $8MM+, and if he gets even better then it's all gravy and we have a key piece locked up that we can plan around. If his play craters for some reason we're totally screwed anyways and it doesn't matter.

Reactions: vancityluongo

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
reposting myself in light of this lebrun tweet.

i am no capologist, so hopefully someone can help me out. i think we can only make a further trade if we send equal cap space the other way, or unless we assume either boeser or leivo will be out for the season. is this correct?

so long as ferlund and boeser are both out we have $9m+ in ltir. if it is ferlund and leivo out we have $5m in ltir.

but with toffoli adding $2.7m annualized cap to the roster after deducting schaller, it looks our current ltir use is $4.8m.

this is with a 21 man roster and 3 guys on injured reserve and 3 more on ltir.

so if leivo and boeser both come back it looks we would have to send at least two guys down just to get under the cap. that would leave us 24 bodies which is about the minimum after allowing for short term injury. so i don't see any room to add a player in that situation except by salary swap.

if boeser comes back and leivo stays out the picture improves slightly. we could grab someone with a cap hit of about $2.4m. you could improve that by $800k reducing the roster to 23 but that gives very little leeway for injuries.

so if we are seriously talking about simmonds i kind of suspect nj is going to retain 50% and either we are not expecting one of leivo or boeser back, or else nj has to take baertschi (or maybe stecher).

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
As much as I don’t want to trade another 1st, Boston just trade Backes+1st and got a great young player in Kase in return.

Would you guys trade Eriksson+1st for a similar young player!?

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
The Canucks are missing a player like Ferland. While it was good to see Toffoli stand up to Dumba after the knee on Petey, it was also depressing to see that it was the new guy and the rest of the team skated away. Not even a convo when Marky was run in OT.

As the points get more important, Hughes and Petey are going to get more negative attention. From late hits, to knees struck out, to slew foots, it’s clear the refs are not going to call it. We need a player willing to at least ‘go there’ with the other team. I’m not talking about fighting, which is useless (unless you have a Reaves type). I’m talking about a guy willing to make life miserable for the opposing top players. I think this is where deterrence has gone.

Ferland was brought in to be that guy but is injured. Roussel is more of an agitator and Jake refuses to go there. So is there someone out there that fits?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
As much as I don’t want to trade another 1st, Boston just trade Backes+1st and got a great young player in Kase in return.

Keep in mind Loui’s deal has an extra year on it. So the cost likely rises and/or the player they get back won’t be as cheap as Kase.

I can’t really see this being in their plans. I think like most of the board they just hope he up and quits.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

We should waive Eriksson first and demote him to the AHL before even thinking of going that route. Until we know for sure that he's willing to stick it out in the minors, we shouldn't do anything else yet.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

SixtyFour

Aug 7, 2015
The Canucks are missing a player like Ferland. While it was good to see Toffoli stand up to Dumba after the knee on Petey, it was also depressing to see that it was the new guy and the rest of the team skated away. Not even a convo when Marky was run in OT.

As the points get more important, Hughes and Petey are going to get more negative attention. From late hits, to knees struck out, to slew foots, it’s clear the refs are not going to call it. We need a player willing to at least ‘go there’ with the other team. I’m not talking about fighting, which is useless (unless you have a Reaves type). I’m talking about a guy willing to make life miserable for the opposing top players. I think this is where deterrence has gone.

Ferland was brought in to be that guy but is injured. Roussel is more of an agitator and Jake refuses to go there. So is there someone out there that fits?
Probably it's because of Green and Horvat. Have a feeling what roster even with Wilson, Reaves, Simmonds etc. won't solve this problem. As said before Toffoli in his first game stand up for Petey. This roster full of players who can do that but don't do that.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
After seeing what buffalo did with Bogosian, Can Benning not try and do the same with loui.

Can't see him wanting to move his family to Utica for 2 years, might cause him to ot report so we can terminate the contract or make him retire. Would be nice if that money somehow disappeared.

But again I dont see how we are so loyal to a guy in Loui that does nothing for us, but we have names like Stetcher, Gaudette and other prospects in trade rumors.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad