2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
You mean the team that had Kopitar, Carter, Williams, Richards, Toffoli, Gaborik, Brown, King, Stoll, Clifford..

Come on man at least read what I said before posting. I said a team especially as average as this one. The Kings were pretty damn strong forward depth wise.

The pro Benning crowd is getting almost as unbearable as the Benning detractors. It’s getting tiresome.

I'm not even pro Benning LOL

You're getting awfully defensive here :laugh::laugh:

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
I'm not even pro Benning LOL

You're getting awfully defensive here :laugh::laugh:

Yea you’re right. I should just reply back to comments that are worth my time in responding to.

Using comments like LOL should be a good indicator next time.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Pearson scores a lot of goals from hard work and hustle. He has a heavy shot but he isn’t the type to make plays for the players on his line.

Now if Horvat wasn’t the second line center and you had a center that was more of a playmaking offensive catalyst then I would be very content having Pearson on the second line. But currently the second line looks more like a third line. And I think come playoff time Pearson Horvat and whoever they decide to play right wing with them, will have a difficult time being dependent upon scoring.

Fair enough. I just see the asking price on guys that could be expected to match what Pearson has accomplished alongside Horvat and don't view an upgrade there as a good use of assets.

Would prefer a top 4 dman. Its a big long-term need.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
A good defensive LHD would be a great fit with Myers and give the Canucks 3 strong D pairs with depth given that Benn can play RHD.

If rumours are true that Brodin is on the block I wonder if the Canucks have inquired. He'd be a good fit and has one more year on a reasonable contract, then is a free agent at the same time Edler, Sutter, et al come off the books (and we need to resign Petey and Hughes.) Would effectively be expansion exempt though if he wasn't re-signed before the draft.

I've come around on this line of thought, and on Brodin specifically, as well. This team will improve via reducing their GA and their defensive play in general and a guy like Brodin goes a long way to achieve that. I also like Kunin as a 3rd line C target for the same reasons. I think the pair would cost Boeser, and I'm allright with that.

Reactions: David71

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Fair enough. I just see the asking price on guys that could be expected to match what Pearson has accomplished alongside Horvat and don't view an upgrade there as a good use of assets.

Would prefer a top 4 dman. Its a big long-term need.

Yea i agree a top 4 dman is of a bigger need. And perhaps Benning is offsetting his lack of offensive depth by having stronger 3rd and 4th liners.

But if Benning is pushing all his chips in, I wouldn’t want him to half ass it. I think a team having players like Pearson on the third line is more likely to compete further in to the playoffs.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
IMO you're not going to get the best number possible on Markstrom unless you're willing to wait this out to the final hours.

And if Markstrom gets hurt, you're left scrambling.

Demko should be traded if Marky signs, just not until then.

Fair enough because we can never possibly know and neither of us have insight, only estimates off assumptions.

I personally think leaving Markstrom to the last minutes makes the allure of wading the waters too appealing to pass off, at which point he'll be handed a massive contract by some team that just blew a playoff round on bad goaltending (Carolina? Edmonton? Calgary?) or a team that like Vancouver this year has a GM that needs to make the playoffs next year (Buffalo, New Jersey, San Jose?). He will have a lot of suitors, especially if he finishes as strongly as he currently projects to in Vezina voting.

Any Demko trade would also be contingent on being able to source a backup for this year's playoffs. Easier said than done as evidenced by the Leafs, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to get someone like Ryan Miller for essentially nothing.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
He’s a legitimate top 6 forward. Unless Lind takes a ginormous leap, I’d bring back Toffoli on a 3 year deal

We've been fine without Toffoli to this point. Obviously he would make the team better, but there are other more important pieces to look at first, specifically Markstrom and Tanev or suitable replacements. They are much more important to this team than Toffoli and if we don't retain/replace them we'd lose more than we'd gain by keeping Toffoli.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
How long until we hear the word "retool" again?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It will be super great when the team replaces Markstrom/Demko, Tanev, and Stecher with Demko/crappy backup, Tyson Barrie, and Brogan Rafferty and then Jimbo is super confused as to why the team is 29th in the NHL defensively.
It also might be great when a substantially different set of events than the most pessimistic interpretation possible takes place with different results, like happens every year with nearly every team. I don't see any scenario in which the team has to move/let go of all three players, and no one has proposed one apart from simply saying, "They're going to lose all three players."

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It will be super great when the team replaces Markstrom/Demko, Tanev, and Stecher with Demko/crappy backup, Tyson Barrie, and Brogan Rafferty and then Jimbo is super confused as to why the team is 29th in the NHL defensively.
Or we could just...wait and see what happens before writing the script.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
If we can trade both Sven and Benn without taking back any cap, that should be enough cap to re-sign Virtanen, Gaudette, Fantenberg, and Motte without even touching our actual cap space. Waive Eriksson and use the savings towards McEwen

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - 2RW
Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussel - Beagle - Sutter

Hughes - 1RD
Edler - 2RD
Fantenberg - Myers

1G
Demko

Motte
MacEwen
+1 more player

If the cap rises enough to cover Pettersson's and Hughes' bonuses, quick maths gives us ~14 mil to bring in a #1 goalie, #2 winger, 2 top-4 defensemen, and another pressbox player.

Last edited:

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Or we could just...wait and see what happens before writing the script.

Well, we can't catastrophize about the trade deadline, as it just passed, and we didn't do anything stupid. Now we must run scenario's where the next phase of team building is an epic disaster.

Like, I get that Benning had a really crappy string of work back around the Sbisa, Gudbranson, Sutter days, and a poor start to his tenure. But at what point is it going to clue in that this has been a pretty well run organisation since Trevor Linden was shown the door? And it started getting better before he left too.

Surprised we haven't heard anything about Mathias Brome out of Sweden. Apparently the Canucks are trying to sign him to come over next season, along with the Red Wings and Capitals. Was reported in expressen IIRC.

Reactions: NuxFan09

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If you can get Toffoli signed to a reasonable deal, and Leivo comes in around $1.7mil, do we bring Virtanen back next season? Where does he fit?

RW-
Boeser
Toffoli
Leivo
Ferland

All 4 of those right wingers belong in the top 9. Even if Ferland retires, you've got your top 3 guys here...

The left wing is set too; Miller, Pearson, Roussel, Motte

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
He’s a legitimate top 6 forward. Unless Lind takes a ginormous leap, I’d bring back Toffoli on a 3 year deal

Priority 1. Markstrom
Priority 2. Tanev
Priority 3. Toffoli

Still have decisions to make on Leivo, Stecher & Motte. Simply not enough money to keep Markstrom, Tanev & Toffoli unless Benning pulls off something creative.

Reactions: Horvat1C
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad