2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
H*** no to resigning Toffoli, even if it makes the deal look bad. Having no money for Edler or a replacement and Left D depth goes down to Hughes, Juolevi, scrub. Toffoli can be replaced internally. The defence not so much.

Reactions: vanuck

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
So if demelo got a 3rd then I’d say stecher should get something similar.

DeMelo is a better player, and that was a steal for the Jets.

I want to see Benn go for a late rd pick. Hopefully Fantenberg is almost ready, and they take their chances with a young dman if need be.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think that Wayne Simmonds is coming to Van one way or another.
McKenzie and Friedman both hinted at it. Wonder what the Canucks are going to give up...

Just hope it isn't Hoglander.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
McKenzie and Friedman both hinted at it. Wonder what the Canucks are going to give up...

Baertschi and Lind.

Sutter for a pick, with a bit of retention.

Sutter's leadership replaced.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Baertschi and Lind.

Sutter for a pick, with a bit of retention.

Sutter's leadership replaced.

If we somehow moved Baertschi for Simmonds that would be a massive win. I don't think we're getting out of that without losing some picks at the very least though.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Stecher + Virtanen for Ceci + Kapanen + ??

$4M in freed cap space for the Leafs, without a downgrade in player talent, would allow them to go after a good UFA defenceman for the stretch run and playoffs. Gotta believe it would at least be worth discussing to see what the Leafs would be willing to include.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If we somehow moved Baertschi for Simmonds that would be a massive win. I don't think we're getting out of that without losing some picks at the very least though.

Would depend on how the Devils view Lind, or whatever the prospect would be. A lot of teams like acquiring prospects that are closer to contributing.

With Toffoli in the mix, and the emergence of Virtanen, I could see Lind being dangled in trade. The right wing is looking crowded.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
For a potential 2020-21 roster with Toffoli included..

Miller (5.25)Petersson (.925)Boeser (5.875)
Pearson (3.75)Horvat (5.5)Toffoli (4.75)
Roussel (3)Gaudette (1.5)Virtanen (3)
Eriksson (6)Beagle (3)Motte (1)
MacEwen (.750)Other (.925)
Hughes (.917)Tanev (5.25)
Edler (6)Myers (6)
Benn (2)Rafferty (.7)
Fantenberg (.925)
Markstrom (6)
Demko (1.05)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1.5m for Gaudette and 4.75m for Toffoli seems kind of optimistic

That Myers contract was terrible the second it was announced. Could have extended Stecher for about 2.5m and had another 3.5m to work with, but now we're stuck with another garbage contract.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Stecher + Virtanen for Ceci + Kapanen + ??

$4M in freed cap space for the Leafs, without a downgrade in player talent, would allow them to go after a good UFA defenceman for the stretch run and playoffs. Gotta believe it would at least be worth discussing to see what the Leafs would be willing to include.

Whoops, cancel this one-- thought Ceci was supposed to be back soon but apparently he is out for at least another three weeks and quite possibly longer.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

That Myers contract was terrible the second it was announced. Could have extended Stecher for about 2.5m and had another 3.5m to work with, but now we're stuck with another garbage contract.
Agreed. Hopefully Seattle claims him in expansion draft.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I don't see why Toffoli would make more than 5 a year. He's hit 50pts once and it was years ago.

Gaudette has no leverage. 1.5 on a one or two year deal seems fine.

Reactions: sting101

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
I don't see why Toffoli would make more than 5 a year. He's hit 50pts once and it was years ago.

Gaudette has no leverage. 1.5 on a one or two year deal seems fine.
Look at the comparable's around the league. Coyle just signed for 5.25m and Colin White signed for near 5m off the top of my head... fact is, if we don't pay him that much, some other team will. And after trading what we did for him, I can see Benning overpaying like he usually does just so we don't lose him. Unless we give him a NMC, I think realistically he gets around 5.25m-5.5m. Only a little more than what you projected, but it adds up.

Gaudette over a full season is on pace for about ~ 45 points. There's absolutely no way he gets 1.5m. His agent could just point at Beagle's 3m or Sutter's 4.375m lol.

member 290103

If they give up Hoglander for a washed up player like Simmonds......wow. I actually hope it happens and I hope the team misses the playoffs. Enough of this f***ing guy.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If they give up Hoglander for a washed up player like Simmonds......wow. I actually hope it happens and I hope the team misses the playoffs. Enough of this ****ing guy.

they will likely package Podkolzin and Hoglander to make it happen. I believe Benning said today the plan was to trade both.

I'm outraged too that he's trading these guys.

I actually hope the team relocates!

member 290103

they will likely package Podkolzin and Hoglander to make it happen. I believe Benning said today the plan was to trade both.

I'm outraged too that he's trading these guys.

I actually hope the team relocates!

Dude, your boy is f***ing the team up and you are eating it up without batting an eye. If you think it's beyond reasonable that he trades Hoglander for a rental, consider that he did just that with arguably a better prospect and even included a high pick for good measure.

He's a f***ing idiot. Prepare.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Dude, your boy is ****ing the team up and you are eating it up without batting an eye. If you think it's beyond reasonable that he trades Hoglander for a rental, consider that he did just that with arguably a better prospect and even included a high pick for good measure.

He's a ****ing idiot. Prepare.

Sure thing. I’m preparing emotionally as we speak.

Who was it for again, Wayne Simmonds? *shiver*

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am no capologist, so hopefully someone can help me out. i think we can only make a further trade if we send equal cap space the other way, or unless we assume either boeser or leivo will be out for the season. is this correct?

so long as ferlund and boeser are both out we have $9m+ in ltir. if it is ferlund and leivo out we have $5m in ltir.

but with toffoli adding $2.7m annualized cap to the roster after deducting schaller, it looks our current ltir use is $4.8m.

this is with a 21 man roster and 3 guys on injured reserve and 3 more on ltir.

so if leivo and boeser both come back it looks we would have to send at least two guys down just to get under the cap. that would leave us 24 bodies which is about the minimum after allowing for short term injury. so i don't see any room to add a player in that situation except by salary swap.

if boeser comes back and leivo stays out the picture improves slightly. we could grab someone with a cap hit of about $2.4m. you could improve that by $800k reducing the roster to 23 but that gives very little leeway for injuries.

so if we are seriously talking about simmonds i kind of suspect nj is going to retain 50% and either we are not expecting one of leivo or boeser back, or else nj has to take baertschi (or maybe stecher).

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Please don't trade for Simmonds. Good Lord.
Legit makes no sense. Why do we need a 'Ferland replacement'?

Simmonds doesn't even play tough anymore. He's closer to Loui Eriksson than he is a physical player. He's slow as molasses.

He might be an Aquilini acquisition, when I think about it. Frank probably saw him and fell in love with him a few years ago or something.

If they bring in another forward when our defense is as bad as it is, I don't know how anyone can defend that. ****ing hell it would be stupid. The Toffoli trade was stupid, but at least he's a functioning top 9 player. Simmonds is an absolute shell of his former self.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i rather vancouver get miles wood younger cheaper. than simmonds. plus vancouver needs HELP ON Defense. someone who can step up and play 15-19 mins and that relieves the pressure of quinn hughes and edler. so no 1st or 2nds this year. only 3-7. its time for another contract for contract trade. ala pearson/gudbranson type of deal. maybe trade roussel? he might have an ntc. clears up his 3million.?

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't like the idea of Miles Wood. 2.75 for the next two years for a guy who will probably slot on the 4th line. They need to cut costs on the 4th line, not add another big salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad