2020 Offseason Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton is a better winger in the middle 6. He can be a great 4th line center. He has before..idk why people think he can’t play center anymore just because he did good as a lw with hayes

He's not good defensively at center, needs a winger to cover for him.
However, he is a good forechecker, so he can work at 4C with the right forwards.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I stumbled across the Phantoms stats the other day again. Leading scorer had 30 points in 57 games. :facepalm:

scott-gordon-beanpot-trot.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I stumbled across the Phantoms stats the other day again. Leading scorer had 30 points in 57 games. :facepalm:

Puts Frost’s “disappointing” AHL season — 29 points in 41 games — in focus, huh?

Reminds me of Mark Stone’s 38 points in 54 games debut for Binghamton. Looks decent until you realize he led the the team. I saw earlier a post about him not breaking out until age 26. Pageau had 29 in 69 on that team too. I always like these cases because it’s easy to see what the problem is and how good a player is in spite of it. Speaking of which: Jason Robertson’s 46 in 60 leading the Texas Stars by 7 and 14 points for the next two scorers.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Puts Frost’s “disappointing” AHL season — 29 points in 41 games — in focus, huh?

Reminds me of Mark Stone’s 38 points in 54 games debut for Binghamton. Looks decent until you realize he led the the team. I saw earlier a post about him not breaking out until age 26. Pageau had 29 in 69 on that team too. I always like these cases because it’s easy to see what the problem is and how good a player is in spite of it. Speaking of which: Jason Robertson’s 46 in 60 leading the Texas Stars by 7 and 14 points for the next two scorers.

But his xGF

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Goes both ways, scoring was down on the Phantoms this year, but Frost was the tallest midget, but they were still midgets.
It's not like he outscored Vorobyev, Sushko and Kase by a wide margin, and we know Vorobyev wasn't NHL ready, and no one has complained that Sushko and Kase didn't get a chance to win a job last year.

Yes, I focus on ES scoring b/c PP scoring is as much opportunity as talent, so without advanced metrics it's meaningless.
And at the AHL, even a stiff like Carey can put up big numbers.

Facts is facts, Frost just wasn't that good last season, at either the NHL or AHL level.
Top scorers with 1 or 2 AHL season (most top AHL scorers are long-term veterans or undersized guys with 3+ years)

Drake Batherson #121-2017 (21) 1.11 ES PPG
Jack Bean D #13-2016 (21) 0.76
Josh Norris #19-2017 (20) 0.71
Brogan Rafferty D UDFA (24) 0.70 [college, 1 year AHL]
Lucas Elvenes #127-2017 (21) 0.69
Alex Barre-Boulet UDFA (22) 0.62
Alex Formention #35-2017 (20) 0.57
Kole Lind, #33-2017 (21) 0.56
Brayden Burke UDFA (21) 0.53
Jack Studnicka #53-2017 (21) 0.52
Jason Roberston #39-2017 (20) 0.52

Reactions: Breeze 44

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
It only costs $202.77 to buy out Gordons contract.

09d6cbfb132f216790e7d22c642d9e18.png
I actually hoped your plan was to annoyingly pelt him with BBs.

what is your break out plan? Just flip it. *ping*

what is your offensive zone strategy? Point shots *ping*

Just keep at him until he promises changes or he breaks down in tears. If he promises changes, take his drivers license—so you know where he lives.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
Dont forget we drafted both Mike Ricci and Joni Pitkanen 4th overall.

We have had far better results in the 2nd half of the 1st round.
This damn franchise. Thought Ricci was a better fit in “da room” because Jagr’s English wasn’t good. Lmao

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Morgan Frost is not Claude Giroux. The comparisons stop at that they were both scrawny & are good passers.

The differences:

G put up 100+ points in his 17, 18, & 19 y/o junior seasons.
Frost put up 100+ points in his 18 & 19 y/o seasons. In his 17 y/o season he was under a point per game.

G put up 34 points in 33 games at age 20 as an AHL rookie.
Frost put up 29 points in 41 games at age 20 as an AHL rookie.

Giroux played with ferocity & competitiveness despite his lack of size, drawing comparisons to Doug Gilmour.

Frost has a lackadaisical, low-pace style, & isn’t ever going to knock anyone on their ass or crash the boards like a young Giroux would.

They are a different class of player.

Reactions: tucson83 and Jtown

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That has nothing to do with what I am talking about. You think Donovan’s doing a wrong thing and an idiot. Shows you do not understand.

So, no. You can’t coach or shouldn’t. Especially not our Flyers.
I can't tell if you didn't catch that he's being sarcastic or if you're responding to his sarcasm with even more sarcasm. :laugh:

In case it's the former... yeah, he's mocking AV for being an awful coach.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Bob Clarke, as part of his scouting preparation for the '90 draft, traveled to Czechoslovakia to watch Jagr play, in addition to traveling to scout the other top prospects. He said Jagr was certainly the best prospect in his opinion. The implication was that he would have taken him, but Jay Snider fired him after the season. I guess we'll never know.

i did a complete breakdown of clarke's drafting history. My god , maybe the worst drafter of all time. Just because one can play hockey well does not make them qualified for other jobs.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i did a complete breakdown of clarke's drafting history. My god , maybe the worst drafter of all time. Just because one can play hockey well does not make them qualified for other jobs.

They nailed a lot of their 1sts under Clarke.

Boucher, Zubrus, Gagne, Williams, Carter, Richards, Giroux..

The issue was after the 1st..plus a lack of picks due to trades.

Clarke was also the GM for the mid to late 80s teams that had success.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Worth re-posting/reposting/resigning/re-signing:

What's Patrik Laine Worth?

I was thinking it was obvious the flyers do want a pure goal scorer type. I also think the price is too high for Laine abs they may move down the list to Hoffman. That would appear to be a horrible idea.

And from the article it seems like Laines strength wouldn’t even be used here by AV and MT at 5 v 5 and PP.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Morgan Frost is not Claude Giroux. The comparisons stop at that they were both scrawny & are good passers.

The differences:

G put up 100+ points in his 17, 18, & 19 y/o junior seasons.
Frost put up 100+ points in his 18 & 19 y/o seasons. In his 17 y/o season he was under a point per game.

G put up 34 points in 33 games at age 20 as an AHL rookie.
Frost put up 29 points in 41 games at age 20 as an AHL rookie.

Giroux played with ferocity & competitiveness despite his lack of size, drawing comparisons to Doug Gilmour.

Frost has a lackadaisical, low-pace style, & isn’t ever going to knock anyone on their ass or crash the boards like a young Giroux would.

They are a different class of player.
I didn’t see a post claiming he was or comparing him to Giroux. Well other than yours

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think you're underselling their need for another offensive player. They may have been 7th in EV goals/game last year, but that was the regular season. Their scoring didn't cut it in the playoffs. Plus Giroux and Voracek are getting up there in age. A decline in their production should be anticipated.

As for Laine on the PP, you said in another post he would only add 3-4 more PP goals. I think you are missing that it's not only about the PP goals he scores, it's about how much more room the rest of the PP gets because of Laine's shot. The Flyers don't have that threat at the moment, so it's much easier to PK against them. It's like how teams defended the Eagles after DeSean left -- they didn't have to worry about getting burned deep, so they jammed everything up with ease.
Patrik Laine is EXACTLY what the Flyers need and yet those who reside in the echo chamber all seem to want no parts of him. Trade for him and make him the top line RW and a core player to build around and he scores 40 goals a year here.

JayB

May 30, 2012
I liked him a lot more before the supposed refusal to play wing for Montreal this year.

Im still intrigued though. Not only a skilled player but plays with an edge.

Always liked Domi. What kind of deal we shoud be looking for ? Gostisphere <-> Domi

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I actually hoped your plan was to annoyingly pelt him with BBs.

what is your break out plan? Just flip it. *ping*

what is your offensive zone strategy? Point shots *ping*

Just keep at him until he promises changes or he breaks down in tears. If he promises changes, take his drivers license—so you know where he lives.

What about the power play? Put TJ out *ping* for the whole *ping* 2 minutes *ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping CLICK CLICK [reload] ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad