2020 Offseason Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
News for ya bud. It always gets worse, and it's going to continue getting worse. The planet won't stop warming and COVID isn't going anywhere. Scapegoating the year is going to leave a lot of people disappointed
I know, I was just playing along.

There's always problems, they just come in various forms and sometimes people pay closer attention. Not to mention the impact of social media.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Just a quick thought on Laine. The cost for any player is obviously key.

He's not however a lost cause by any means. You need a balance of being able to take the highly skilled offensive player, and teaching them some defense - instead of the safe 200 foot guy and hoping he pulls magic out of his ass to find an offensive game.

Again, Laine may not be the answer - but I would not be averse to at the very least exploring such a deal for a franchise that kind of has struggled to have a lot of names (outside of an aging G and V) in the top 30 forwards league wide for quite a while.

(Couturier I know)

I really don't like our history with #2 overall picks.

:laugh:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Dont forget we drafted both Mike Ricci and Joni Pitkanen 4th overall.

We have had far better results in the 2nd half of the 1st round.

Don't remind me. We could have had Jagr.

What a different story this franchise would have.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i like domi a lot and the fact that he isn't already a flyer pisses me off.

I liked him a lot more before the supposed refusal to play wing for Montreal this year.

Im still intrigued though. Not only a skilled player but plays with an edge.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I forgive them for Jagr because he was supposedly only coming over to play with Mario in Pitt.

there is a lot of shadiness behind that pick. Some have speculated that the Penguins paid money to Jagr to tell other teams that he wasn't going to come over. It was well known he was the best player in that draft but he gave no indication he was gonna come over.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
why are you treating frost like he's sid the kid? because hextall drafted him? do you expect every player that hextall drafted to be a star and crap on fletch and the coaching staff if they are not?

I'm not. I'm treating him like he's a talented prospect who's development has been handled like shit, quite frankly, by the organization. They had ZERO plan with regards to his development. As you'll see from what I posted, if you would have taken the time to read, that either they kept him in the AHL for the year and let him torch the place, or they play him on the big club in a top 9 role and let him play, let him learn and let him take his lumps, which they failed to do. They did him a disservice in his development. It's like they learned nothing from the Hakturd era.....

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
there is a lot of shadiness behind that pick. Some have speculated that the Penguins paid money to Jagr to tell other teams that he wasn't going to come over. It was well known he was the best player in that draft but he gave no indication he was gonna come over.

Definitely would not put it past that scumf*** organization

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Bob Clarke, as part of his scouting preparation for the '90 draft, traveled to Czechoslovakia to watch Jagr play, in addition to traveling to scout the other top prospects. He said Jagr was certainly the best prospect in his opinion. The implication was that he would have taken him, but Jay Snider fired him after the season. I guess we'll never know.

Reactions: renberg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
are you open to any vet signings?
Not any of the expensive ones. I think trades are going to be the way to go for impact players because they'll need to shed some salary in the process. Possibly a younger RHD to replace Braun and maybe a bottom six C, depending on the price.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
B/c Laughton is a better LW than center, especially defensively.
Koivu has been an elite defensive center, that allows you to start Frost at 3C and play Koivu with a lead in the 3rd period.

Laughton is a better winger in the middle 6. He can be a great 4th line center. He has before..idk why people think he can’t play center anymore just because he did good as a lw with hayes

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I stumbled across the Phantoms stats the other day again. Leading scorer had 30 points in 57 games. :facepalm:

Frost 41g 19 ES points = 0.46 ppg
Vorobyev 0.38
Sushko 0.38
Kase 0.37
Twarynski 0.32
NAK 0.23
Ratcliffe 0.21
Bunnaman 0.21

2018-19:
NAK 0.48
Bailey 0.44
Kase 0.43