Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Should of golfed today

7kbdcMt.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This damn franchise. Thought Ricci was a better fit in “da room” because Jagr’s English wasn’t good. Lmao

No. They were starting over. They needed a center. They needed a captain. With or without the shadiness surrounding Jagr, there was no guarantee that he would come over, and there was no guarantee that his game would translate to the NHL. It was a different time.

Ricci was the right pick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Patrik Laine is EXACTLY what the Flyers need and yet those who reside in the echo chamber all seem to want no parts of him. Trade for him and make him the top line RW and a core player to build around and he scores 40 goals a year here.

I think the issue is that you dont know anything about Laine other than his goal totals.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm going to say it for the millionth time - there is no way we are going into a fourth f***ing decade with people bemoaning that Ricci pick. It was the right move at the time in that context. Period. Kill the "should of drafted Jagr" shit with cleansing fire.
Don’t worry. It will be replaced with the Patrick pick for the next couple of decades except everyone will cite their personal favorite star from Heiskanen, Makar, and Pettersson instead of just Jagr.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
One one hand, I could see this being a quiet off season as we have in house replacements for:

Braun: Friedman
Grant: Lindblom
Thompson: Frost

Then still have Bunny, Sandin, Laczynski as possibilities

But the other side of me thinks that lots of times, there is a "feeling out period" when a new coach and GM are hired....and then there are moves made. The coach often will tell the GM certain guys don't fit his system or issues that they possibly see in players. And the GM wants to put his mark on a team as well. That brings about change. But with a flat cap, that could be difficult to do.

I would not be surprised if Fletch went either way.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah I don't know if a defensive negative, non-play driving, one-dimensional winger who will cost too much to acquire and get a contract he is not worth is "EXACTLY" what we need.
Especially considering the endless complaints from Flyers fans about JVRs flaws. He’s a far better play driver and defensive player than Laine and all people do is shit on him and want him traded away. And he didn’t even cost us trade assets to acquire and won’t cost as much cap space over the next few years.

Not to mention, with AV as coach, Laines scoring and usage would likely take a hit and we’d have much less of the good he provides and much more of the bad, same as the impact AV has on all our current players.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Why are we criticizing Frost? Kid has potential to be a good player for us. Top 6 talent. We don’t need a sniper. We need speed and skill in our top six. Talent wins over all. We have a bunch of people on these boards who like to just trash our own prospects. And I know they will say “nobody’s trashing them” but then they call them their little nicknames and act like that’s how the board views them. Like the post above. Literally nobody in their right mind thinks Frost is a prospect close to Crosby was.

literally just want to hold onto them until/if they play for us or an actual deal that comes our way that makes sense.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Why are we criticizing Frost? Kid has potential to be a good player for us. Top 6 talent. We don’t need a sniper. We need speed and skill in our top six. Talent wins over all. We have a bunch of people on these boards who like to just trash our own prospects. And I know they will say “nobody’s trashing them” but then they call them their little nicknames and act like that’s how the board views them. Like the post above. Literally nobody in their right mind thinks Frost is a prospect close to Crosby was.

literally just want to hold onto them until/if they play for us or an actual deal that comes our way that makes sense.

Just consider the source. That is all.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Laine isn’t a good hockey player. He’s a good shooter. There’s a difference. It’s clear as day if you watch Jets games and zero in on him.

- he just floats when he doesn’t have the puck. Like a little league outfielder sitting down and throwing grass in the air.
- He doesn’t add anything to the cycle. Teammates have to do the heavy lifting for him
- he loses A LOT of 50/50 battles
- he has the frame to physically dominate and he either can’t do it or he just doesn’t feel like doing it
- hockey sense is mediocre
- Most importantly: He is lazy. Compete level is reallly hit or miss with him. Compete level only shows up when he has the puck.

He’s not a player you trade significant assets for. I’m struggling mightily to see the appeal here as a Flyers fan.

He’s Zherdev with an all-world shot

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Yeah all I want is for Frost to play, and be a 30-40 point C next year and get better as the year goes on. But there is absolutely NO REASON though, why Frost next year, can't have the year Suzuki had this year.

Realistic expectations.

Last edited:

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Laine isn’t a good hockey player. He’s a good shooter. There’s a difference. It’s clear as day if you watch Jets games and zero in on him.

- he just floats when he doesn’t have the puck. Like a little league outfielder sitting down and throwing grass in the air.
- He doesn’t add anything to the cycle. Teammates have to do the heavy lifting for him
- he loses A LOT of 50/50 battles
- he has the frame to physically dominate and he either can’t do it or he just doesn’t feel like doing it
- hockey sense is mediocre
- Most importantly: He is lazy. Compete level is reallly hit or miss with him. Compete level only shows up when he has the puck.

He’s not a player you trade significant assets for. I’m struggling mightily to see the appeal here as a Flyers fan.

He’s Zherdev with an all-world shot
He is certainly closer to a zherdev type than an ovy type. Thought he had the build to be more ovy.

Maybe he turns it around. But the cost to acquire plus the cost of contract. With out a lot of certainty seems like a foolish move.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
He is certainly closer to a zherdev type than an ovy type. Thought he had the build to be more ovy.

Maybe he turns it around. But the cost to acquire plus the cost of contract. With out a lot of certainty seems like a foolish move.

I do my best to focus on other players when I watch the Jets. If I focus too much on him my blood begins to boil. He’s a lazy bum ass dude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad