2020 Offseason Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sometimes you have to take a chance, as those type players are rarely available. And Laine only finished his 21 y/o season. If you wait until he is one of those guys, then you ain’t getting him.

Risk is certainly necessary, but Laine has all the makings of another Drury in terms of contract disappointment. He's not a risk I'd gamble on.

Great players who get great-player-money tend to be a lot more reliable than Laine has been.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I don’t want to pay the expected cost for really any Winger either, but if an Ehlers is available at a price that makes sense, the Flyers don’t have nearly enough skill to be that picky about someone that good offensively in so many dimensions.

What is a cost that makes sense to you?

It's probably been covered in the umpteen pages on the topic, but what's the reason Ehlers would even be available? What does Winnipeg want?

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Risk is certainly necessary, but Laine has all the makings of another Drury in terms of contract disappointment. He's not a risk I'd gamble on.

Great players who get great-player-money tend to be a lot more reliable than Laine has been.

Just throwing this out there... but what if we could get Laine at a rental cost (but before the season, not at the deadline)?

If he re-signs (ahem, happy @DancingPanther ? :laugh: ) with us, then conditional assets can be sent over.

Because a year of Laine at $6.whateverM for a much lower asset cost I would consider much more than one where we are kind of forced to re-sign him and hang on to a guy for 8-9 years we may not really want.

Reactions: DancingPanther

Illini Flyer

Jan 30, 2019
Near St Louis
Lol someone on Facebook asking if

Patrick, Ghost, Frost, 1st pick, 1st pick gets it done for Laine.

Another fan saying the jets better get back

Konecny, Sanhiem, Patrick, Frost for Laine.

What the hell! Maybe if Patrick was healthy, we can trade Frost to upgrade the wing if it made sense. But even still these proposals are insane. That’s almost the entire future for a wing

Would legit become a Jets fan if they traded away that many of the boys lol

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I will say that it seems like the Flyers are interested in Laine and that the price is too high. So they are probably interested in a sniper after assessing that they didn’t score in the playoffs...

I miss the good old days when we could sign whoever we wanted with no cap.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, there is no real evidence that the Flyers have any interest other than internet speculation.
GMs routinely talk to their peers, but that doesn't mean real interest.

So often, internet rumors start with innocent statements, "sure, we could use more scoring" (what team doesn't?) gets turned into "we're actively shopping for a top sniper" at which time every sniper that might be potentially available becomes a trade target.

It's hard to imagine that AV, given his emphasis on defense and back checking, would want anything to do with Laine.

Reactions: renberg

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Every guy that Fletcher has acquired, besides Hayes (who they ironically used in more of a defensive role), has been defensive leaning. Look at those Minnesota rosters. Some of the blandest group of skaters. Look at his drafts. Traded away Burns who blossomed into an offensive star. They're squeezing Ghost out who is perceived as a defensive liability. So I'll believe they are actively pursing Laine when I see it. Right now it just seems like a hot rumor created in Flyer Land by a couple of phony insiderrrs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just throwing this out there... but what if we could get Laine at a rental cost (but before the season, not at the deadline)?

If he re-signs (ahem, happy @DancingPanther ? :laugh: ) with us, then conditional assets can be sent over.

Because a year of Laine at $6.whateverM for a much lower asset cost I would consider much more than one where we are kind of forced to re-sign him and hang on to a guy for 8-9 years we may not really want.

Laine on a prove-it deal is palatable. I would not want to dive in on him.

Reactions: flyersnorth

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Love the effort. Way to not be lazy!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers don't need Laine, I'd rather have Koivu.

Top nine is loaded, on a team that was 7th in EV goals per game (and just behind the Pens), they get a healthy Lindblom back, maybe Patrick and Farabee and Frost a year older.

They could use PP help, but with Lindblom, maybe Patrick, Sandin, a new PP coach would probably be more valuable than Laine.

Meanwhile, if Koivu would sign an affordable low cost deal, Raffl - Koivu - NAK could be the best 4th line in the NHL.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What would that be?
Would you trade TK even up? (yes)
One of the three young defensemen? (no)
Frost and a 1st? Farabee and a 1st?

What is a cost that makes sense to you?

It's probably been covered in the umpteen pages on the topic, but what's the reason Ehlers would even be available? What does Winnipeg want?

I don’t think the Flyers have spare what the Jets would want.

But when ROR was available, I assumed it would be based around Sanheim and a 1st, so rather than repeat that mistake I’ll just take a general stance of at appropriate cost.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Raffl is on the last year of his deal. Worry about that a smidge. He said it altered his gameplay worrying about the contact, but if you're the Flyers looking at the farm, seems no dramatic need to extend him. On the other side, any deal would likely be small and easily moveable. On the other side, I'm not loving the message it says to prospects looking up (if they choose to read into it negatively-- which it doesn't need be.)

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Sometimes you have to take a chance, as those type players are rarely available. And Laine only finished his 21 y/o season. If you wait until he is one of those guys, then you ain’t getting him.

hextall fans are really married to his prospects that any great talent that is available, they say naw, our talent is better than them and that's the reason why we havent won nothing in 45 years and yet it wont be hexy's fault if they bust, it will be fletcher and the coaching staff's fault. the whole point of having prospects is to cash in and bring in talent and not keep for that sake of it not unless it's a top 5 player like provy.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Flyers don't need Laine, I'd rather have Koivu.

Top nine is loaded, on a team that was 7th in EV goals per game (and just behind the Pens), they get a healthy Lindblom back, maybe Patrick and Farabee and Frost a year older.

They could use PP help, but with Lindblom, maybe Patrick, Sandin, a new PP coach would probably be more valuable than Laine.

Meanwhile, if Koivu would sign an affordable low cost deal, Raffl - Koivu - NAK could be the best 4th line in the NHL.
Can’t hurt to inquire what the cost would be. I can only imagine JVR would have to be included on our end.

Still, I wouldn’t give them the moon. I would only pay under which is status quo.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
What would that be?
Would you trade TK even up? (yes)
One of the three young defensemen? (no)
Frost and a 1st? Farabee and a 1st?
i wouldn't even trade tk straight up dude. That trade makes literally no sense at all. TK provides more for this team and has a lot of room to grow still as a player

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
And yet Voracek, Giroux, and Couturier have all done that. As well as Ghost. And Provorov at times, too.

You didn't see it because the coach had them play a horrible style. Coaching and play style matter a lot.
hopefully farabee and frost can get to do that too...oh an tk. I think we let him bring the puck up a lot on the pp but reverted back to hayes for some reason

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Lol someone on Facebook asking if

Patrick, Ghost, Frost, 1st pick, 1st pick gets it done for Laine.

Another fan saying the jets better get back

Konecny, Sanhiem, Patrick, Frost for Laine.

What the hell! Maybe if Patrick was healthy, we can trade Frost to upgrade the wing if it made sense. But even still these proposals are insane. That’s almost the entire future for a wing

i saw voracek+ghost+1st for zadina, helm lol

Reactions: TheKingPin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
hextall fans are really married to his prospects that any great talent that is available, they say naw, our talent is better than them and that's the reason why we havent won nothing in 45 years and yet it wont be hexy's fault if they bust, it will be fletcher and the coaching staff's fault. the whole point of having prospects is to cash in and bring in talent and not keep for that sake of it not unless it's a top 5 player like provy.

Ah they’ve done the opposite of that during the vast majority of that time frame.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
tumblr_ol0x6iI5He1qlsrn9o1_500.gif

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The current Flyers model of winning it appears, is to have an influx of young, generally bottom or middle 6 talent (the Hextall special) while continuing to try and hope that an aging G and V can overcome father time for yet another season to help the Flyers still have at least a few guys in the top 50 of NHL point producers.

I'd consider myself skeptical of this overt win by committee approach, especially for a franchise that has been starved for a new star up front, and marketing Claude Giroux as it's hero for a decade. Depth is important, but so is having those big guns up front.

The aversion to making a fair deal if there is one to be found, for another warhorse is intriguing to me. One needs the big guns imo, and I dont see this current strategy working. Laine, for all of his faults - has more skill in than this club has seen in a lot of its forward ranks for years. Imagine a coach, being able to teach a player how develop a more complete game, which Laine has indeed done since coming into the league.

This isn't so much about Laine - who indeed is not perfect, but at some point a move for a "Pronger" - if you will, will have to be made. Or we can continue to wonder why our current boys can't seem to overcome.

Depth is important, but the fix to move this club into the next tier isn't bringing in more bottom 6 talent. It's bringing in a higher level player, and moving some of the current guys down in the lineup.

As always, easier said than done - but the focus should be on a stallion, not a mule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad